Belgian Tripel Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me start of by saying, this recipe is simple to make. I converted over to extracts to save on prep time. I wanted something simple that most can make. The Belgian is going to be a clone of a 2006 Gold Medal winner in the World Beer cup in 2006 (Dragonmead Final Absolution). I was lucky enough to get the recipe. I converted the recipe over to LME and DME. I made a few changes to it also. I changed the 60mins hops from Hallertauer Mittelfruh to German Hallertau and used DME amber instead of munich malt. I didn't use a starter either, I opted for using two vials of WLP500 instead (so i wouldn't have to wait). I regret not making a starter though, because It took 24 hours before it took off. I had to stir it up a little bit then it started fermenting instantly.

Let me know what you guys think? I'm dabating on adding another 3.3lbs of Pilsner light LME to get around 10%. But I'm not sure how the the final gravity will end up at. I heard some people with attenuation of around 85%. I figure if i get 77% then this will be 8.2%. The recipe is supposed to be 8.5%. I think I just may leave this alone and see how it comes out then go from there. I will keep everyone updated on how it comes out.

Day 5: It has a very nice smell of a light banana, fruit hints with some spice! WOW, can't wait until this is done!
Day 6: Took hydro reading of 1.020 (thats 8% after 6 days) Smells very good! Has the look and consistancy of a Belgian but it's cloudy (but that's expected), has a very nice yellow color. I'm waiting until day 10 to 14 to rack into secondary.
Day 10: 1.016 gravity, going to give it a few more days before i rack it into the secondary.
Day 16: Reracked into secondary, 1.016 gravity still.
Day 32: Kegged it!!!! same gravity and all I can say is WOWWWWW
Here is a video review of the beer i'm cloning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-FDMgm2Q5w

Extract:
3 x 3.3lbs Pilsner Light malt extract LME
1 x 1lbs Amber DME
1 x 1.5lbs Belgian Candy
12.4 total pounds of fermentables

Hops: (IBU came out at 23 but you can range from 20 to 25)
2 oz. German Hallertau 3.8%AA 60min
1 oz. Styrian Goldings 3.4% AA 30min
1 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

Yeast:
2 x WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast

Notes:

Are these amounts for a full boil?

Are any of these late addition?

Thanks!

Is it preferable to do a full 60 min boil with all fermentables at once? If not, how would you recommend splitting it up?

Thanks,

Jody[/QUOTE]

Jody,
First, welcome back to brewing!!
Next, I personally always splitting. It depends on the beer as to the hop schedule i follow, considering how much i want the hops to feature. In, say, an IPA, i get my bittering hops in early but add more the last 5-15 minutes for flavor punch and aroma. For Belgians, I focus on making the hops compliment, not shine. I want them to be the axle on my car, not the rims. Make sense? So, here, i would do half at about 45 minutes and half at 5-15. I like to look here http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-3.html
and go through each hop's profile. add "fruity/spicy" hops early and anything thats stronger at the end. That way, you minimize overshadowing your malty, fruity goodness. I would do Hallertau early (45-60 min) and the Goldings at 15, with the Saaz at 5 min or at flameout.

Let me start of by saying, this recipe is simple to make. I converted over to extracts to save on prep time. I wanted something simple that most can make. The Belgian is going to be a clone of a 2006 Gold Medal winner in the World Beer cup in 2006 (Dragonmead Final Absolution). I was lucky enough to get the recipe. I converted the recipe over to LME and DME. I made a few changes to it also. I changed the 60mins hops from Hallertauer Mittelfruh to German Hallertau and used DME amber instead of munich malt. I didn't use a starter either, I opted for using two vials of WLP500 instead (so i wouldn't have to wait). I regret not making a starter though, because It took 24 hours before it took off. I had to stir it up a little bit then it started fermenting instantly.

Let me know what you guys think? I'm dabating on adding another 3.3lbs of Pilsner light LME to get around 10%. But I'm not sure how the the final gravity will end up at. I heard some people with attenuation of around 85%. I figure if i get 77% then this will be 8.2%. The recipe is supposed to be 8.5%. I think I just may leave this alone and see how it comes out then go from there. I will keep everyone updated on how it comes out.

Day 5: It has a very nice smell of a light banana, fruit hints with some spice! WOW, can't wait until this is done!
Day 6: Took hydro reading of 1.020 (thats 8% after 6 days) Smells very good! Has the look and consistancy of a Belgian but it's cloudy (but that's expected), has a very nice yellow color. I'm waiting until day 10 to 14 to rack into secondary.
Day 10: 1.016 gravity, going to give it a few more days before i rack it into the secondary.
Day 16: Reracked into secondary, 1.016 gravity still.
Day 32: Kegged it!!!! same gravity and all I can say is WOWWWWW
Here is a video review of the beer i'm cloning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-FDMgm2Q5w

Extract:
3 x 3.3lbs Pilsner Light malt extract LME
1 x 1lbs Amber DME
1 x 1.5lbs Belgian Candy
12.4 total pounds of fermentables

Hops: (IBU came out at 23 but you can range from 20 to 25)
2 oz. German Hallertau 3.8%AA 60min
1 oz. Styrian Goldings 3.4% AA 30min
1 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

Yeast:
2 x WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast

Notes:

Can anyone convert this to a partial boil for me? (or did I miss in somewhere in the replies) I wanna try a 5 gallon batch with my small pot (5gal) and see how it turns out before I invest in the ingredients for my 20 gallon pot (10gal min batch size)

Made this a few weeks ago - it spend 3 weeks in the primary and so far, 1 week in secondary. What's a good time length for secondary (3 weeks?) and how long from bottle to drink? (I'll assume 2+?)

Praesil said:
Made this a few weeks ago - it spend 3 weeks in the primary and so far, 1 week in secondary. What's a good time length for secondary (3 weeks?) and how long from bottle to drink? (I'll assume 2+?)

I think most people are doing at least a month primary (I did). You might do at least 4 weeks secondary. I've had mine lagering for about 5 weeks now and it still has a slight alcohol bite...so maybe a month in secondary and a month in the bottle, then chill a few and try. Mine did end up at about 9.7% abv, though.

What would you all think of about .5 oz crushed corriander added 5 minutes from end of boil?

I am doing this tomorrow and think it mite add a bit of citrus zest to the final taste.

Sheldon

TommyB said:
Can anyone convert this to a partial boil for me? (or did I miss in somewhere in the replies) I wanna try a 5 gallon batch with my small pot (5gal) and see how it turns out before I invest in the ingredients for my 20 gallon pot (10gal min batch size)

Wondering if the answer to this has been posted here yet. Just read all 20 pages and I'd love to give this one a shot, but right now I only have the capability to do 5 gal batches with a partial boil (5 gal pot). Anyone have any suggestions on changes to the extract or hops qty or schedule to make this happen?

Thanks!

For the partial boil, if you are doing extract, not much should change. Boil whatever you can and add the extract accordingly. With this dense of a wort, the hop utilization might be affected, but you could get around that by holding back some of the extract until ~15 minutes left in the boil.

Any word on the sugar and how it affects the flavor?

so no body has tried any type of brewing this recipe with corriander??? I guess I will report back in a few weeks. Have a slow fermentation going on right now.

so no body has tried any type of brewing this recipe with corriander??? I guess I will report back in a few weeks. Have a slow fermentation going on right now.

I have, in addition to 1 oz. black peppercorn @ 15 min.. Depending on your ferm. temperature it may be indistinguishable. Personnally, I ferment on the higher side and underpitch to stress the yeast. I like the nose and flavor of the yeast or my palate isn't finely tuned enough to pickup the sublety of the coriander. I've brewed different variations of this recipe several times and have really enjoyed it. My last iteration, stylistically, turned into a Golden Strong Ale, 11+%.

I want to try this as an AG. What would the mash schedule be for all grain?
I got out of brewing for a couple years because of health issues but now I am getting back into it. I need to brush the dust off. But anyway, a mash schedule would help alot. Thanks:mug:

Again, can anyone help? Where did you all find the pilsner light lme? I saw someone mention some dme instead. If I was using the pilsner dme would I still use the 9.9 lbs like it calls for the lme in the converted recipe? Thanks again for the help.

Again, can anyone help? Where did you all find the pilsner light lme? I saw someone mention some dme instead. If I was using the pilsner dme would I still use the 9.9 lbs like it calls for the lme in the converted recipe? Thanks again for the help.

Before i went all-grain, i used to use Briess Liquid Malt Extract. Here it is here, Briess Liquid Malt Extracts | Beer Wine Hobby I would think your local brew show would have this.... But to further answer your question, i would use DME and the LME with creating an extract clone so i could get a finer OG and a slightly diverse taste instead of using all pilsner.

And sorry for being away for so long, my mail box is filled and i don't check this regularly... I have a real nice Wee Heavy Recipe in the works next! Thanks everyone for following this post and offering different variations/tips/suggestions and feedback. I may need to upgrade to premium membership...

Jim

I brewed this (AG) on Tuesday; OG of 1.091. Sampled today and it's 1.010. It smells good, very hot, but that's expected.

I mashed .5lb of carapils for mouthfeel but other that that, used the recipe. I did use a starter with stirplate and oxygen as well. It began to ferment in just a few hours and I've never seen such vigorous fermentation. My blowoff tube rests in a 2qt pitcher and the bubbling was almost so fast as to seem like a continuous flow of CO2, rather than actual bubbling.

For those making this recipe (as well as other high gravity beers) I STRONGLY recommend a starter. I make a starter most every time, but you should consider it mandatory for this recipe.

It's going to sit in primary for at least two weeks ~65-70 degrees, then after that I'll rack to a secondary and let it age for a month, likely more. Then off to the keg.

Edit: I let things settle when I took my gravity reading and also tasted it. I've been brewing for several years and I'm *really* surprised at how good it tastes this early on. I tasted it again and I'm a little blown away with how delicious this is.

I am very interested in making this recipe. The only high gravity beer I've made was a Chimay Blue clone. It turned out great, but I want to try something different. I had a question about the extract version of your recipe. When you say "12.4 total pounds of fermentables", what are the fermentables you are using? I've read through about 13 pages of posts on this recipe, and no one else asks this question, so I feel kinda silly :p . But I just want to make sure I do it up right. It looks great and I can't wait to get to brewing. Thanks!

Ohhhhhh, I think I understand the question I asked about the 12.4 lbs of fermentables. Adding up all the Malt extracts, DME and candi sugar = 12.4 lbs.

Ohhhhhh, I think I understand the question I asked about the 12.4 lbs of fermentables. Adding up all the Malt extracts, DME and candi sugar = 12.4 lbs.

Yeah thats correct. It's like bragging rights, for example. "yeah, the beer had 14 total pounds of fermentables!"... I just added it because the guys at my local brew shop would always be like "yeah, that kit has 9lbs of fermentables!!!!"... so it sounded cool to say 12.4 :)

Hurricane, this question is for you. I am going to brew the all-grain version tomorrow. I'm making a 1L starter today. My question is: I have 14lbs of belgian Pilsner, 1lb 9oz of munich and 1/2 lb of carapils. I bought 2lbs of light belgian candy syrup. The recipe calls for 1.6lbs of the candy syrup, but with the extra additions of grains should I use the whole 2lbs of candy syrup? 2nd question is.... For all grain, I've always used the ratio of 1-1.3L water to 1lb grain. I notice that your ration is 2.5quarts water per lb grains. That seems like a lot of water!! What is the purpose of the higher ration? I'm a fairly new brewer, so I apologize if my questions seem silly. But, I'm really excited about this recipe!!

Hey guys, any idea what temp would be best to age this beer? I've got the batch split between regular 12oz bottles and the larger 22oz variety. The 22oz cases are in my darkroom at ~70 while the 12oz set are chilling in a 55 refrigerator.

I chose to add the belgian candi after a few days of fermentation so the belgian has a dryer composition and was fermented at 63C...

I brewed the all grain version today. First off let me say this is my first all-grain high gravity. I made a few changes: 16lbs pilsner belgian, 1.9 oz munich malt, 8 oz carapils. It was cold outside today and I had an impossible time getting my mash temperature high enough. I started with 4 gallons of strike water heated to 170, but after grains were added mash temp was 140. I ended up adding 2 gallons of boiling water and it only came up to 145, so that is what it mashed at for 90 minutes. Iodine conversion test showed all the starches had converted out. I also added a full 2lbs of light belgian candy syrup, since I bumped up the grain bill. I also added 1 tsp irish moss and 1 packet Lalvin K1-V1116 the last 10 minutes of boil. My O.G. ended up being 1.082

Me and my buddy are brewing this up the all grain version of this next Saturday and we were thinking of doing a smaller gravity beer with the second runnings. My questions is, if we do that, will we be way off on our target gravity for this recipe?

A little more than a day after brewing and my beer is chugging away at probably 120 bubbles/min. I've never used a blow-off tube before, but I decided to use one this time instead of an airlock , since it's such a high octane brew. It makes me so happy to see those bubbles and know my yeast is happily working away.

This will probably be my next brew. I had the pleasure of trying St. Bernardus Tripel this weekend which really turned me on to the style. From what I've read, that beer has a pretty fast turn around for the style, which is another thing that made this recipe stand out to me.

This will probably be my next brew. I had the pleasure of trying St. Bernardus Tripel this weekend which really turned me on to the style. From what I've read, that beer has a pretty fast turn around for the style, which is another thing that made this recipe stand out to me.

I just tried that last night and man was that some good beer. Now I really want to try this, hoping that it will be similar (and possibly better)!

Brewed this up last night. I had made a starter and pitched at 11:30. It was going crazy tonight when I got home. First Belgian and I'm really excited!

This one is currently in the mash tun...stoked! I love some graveyard brewing!

I have this sitting at 2 weeks in the primary. I had to tweak this recipe, and came came out with an OG of 1.100. Going to take a gravity and taste tomorrow. Super psyched about this one!

Cracked open a 22 oz bottle of this for sharing and it was great and well carbonated after 30 days but it needs some time to mellow. I opened a 12 oz bottle and it was still a bit flat. For an extract brew this is fantastic.

I'm planning on doing a partial boil for this recipe this week, and was wondering what everyone has been using for their fermenting chambers? I've got a 6.5 gal bucket, but part of me wants to say that's not going to be big enough for a 6 gal batch.

Back