First time kegging problems with the tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spmonahan

Reaction score
Hello,

So this is my first time kegging and I'm having problems getting the tap line connected to the keg.

My setup is a corny keg with ball lock fittings. Currently the keg is pressurize at 12 psi. What I'm trying to do is attach the out fitting with the tap so I can actually drink my beer. I think I'm having difficulty because the keg is under pressure.

How should I proceed? In the future should I put the out connection on before pressurizing the keg?

Thanks.

Pressure in the keg shouldn't matter. Make sure that you are using the right fitting, meaning the all black fitting on the beer out post, and the gray fitting on the gas in post. You may also need to lower your keg pressure for serving unless you have really long beers lines 12psi is a little high for a serving pressure, i serve around 5-8lbs.

Hope this helped any more Q's let us know.

Cheers

You do know you have to pull up on the sleeve while you push down right? If it's not going on, you might have the gas connector on both or you might have two gas posts on a single keg.

@wop31: I tested the fittings before I kegged the beer. Thanks for advice on pressure. Turns out the fitting just needed a little more force to get on -- specifically a little help from a rubber-coated 4 pound hand weight.

Thanks to both of ya for your quick replies. Seems to be working great now!

Back