Dealing with Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechard

Reaction score
Hey folks.

Last weekend I brewed up my pumpkin ale. I have a couple of questions prior to bottling, and I hope someone wiser than I can help me.

1. If I cold crash, will I lose the pumpkin spices I added to the brew?
  2. Will cold crashing lose too much yeast to bottle condition?

To help clarify this beer of particulate I was planning on moving to my secondary after 14 days, for an additional week prior to bottling.

Thanks guys!

cold crashing shouldn't effect the spices at all since their flavor is equally infused into all of the brew. As far as bottle conditioning you will be fine - it may just take an extra few days to let the yeast get active again. Personally I bottle, let them condition for 3 weeks then cold condition in the bottle and get perfectly clear beers.

I leave mine in covered boxes for 3-5 weeks or more,depending on whether they're average gravity,or a little more. Then 2 weeks in the fridge if I can leave them that long. At least one week. But they're clear when I go to put them in the fridge to start with. They come out the same way,no chill haze.

Before you bottle taste the beer. If you think it needs some more spice flavor boil it with you priming sugar. Three weeks to bottle condition and a week in frige and will be good to go.

I took a sample for FG last night, finished at 1.011. Will add a little more spice to the water for the priming sugar, as it does seem like it could use more. I'll let the bottles condition for 4 weeks at 70F, and a week or two in the fridge. I've had carbonation issues with only 3 weeks.

Thanks for the input!

Back