Beer fermented too hot - Fusel Alcohol Hangover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runningweird

Reaction score
It was a nice belgian dubbel and I was so proud, then I put it in the carboy and pitched an ample amount of yeast. Then I left it all alone, and not in the good- temperature controlled- part of town. Fermentation was done really fast, about two days. It fermented early in the summer when it was super hot in Pennsylvania, before I had a dedicated temp controlled area. I thought sure it might taste a bit hot now but give it time and it will be a great beer.

No, last night I had a few and the hangover was biblical. I was not drunk, I was not sick beforehand. Clearly the fusel content is way too high.

I don't think there is any aging this out to save it. Might have to dump the keg.

I must be lucky.... I've had an red ale and a pumkin ale that fermented at 90+ and tasted fine.

Sorry to hear about that.

It tastes okay, pretty good really but after two beers I should not be getting a wicked hangover. I have tried this a couple times just to make sure.

How long ago did you brew it sometimes it need a few months (or even a year or so) to mellow out. However, my first beer was a brown ale that fermented at about 85 and tasted like banana bread! A year and a half later I still had 6 left that still tasted like banana, but it was much better than before! Time heals most wounds!

From a wiki:

Health effects

There is a popular belief that fusel alcohol contributes to hangover symptoms. One study indicated that fusel alcohol has no more significant undesirable health effects (headache, nausea, etc.) than ethanol, the primary active ingredient in all alcoholic beverages.[2] This study involved an animal model of hangover, and its significance in humans is unclear.[citation needed]

I suspect it was something besides, or in addition to, the beer. 2 beers shouldn't do that even with fusel alcohol.

Maybe transfer to bottles and open one every month or so...

From a wiki:

Health effects

There is a popular belief that fusel alcohol contributes to hangover symptoms. One study indicated that fusel alcohol has no more significant undesirable health effects (headache, nausea, etc.) than ethanol, the primary active ingredient in all alcoholic beverages.[2] This study involved an animal model of hangover, and its significance in humans is unclear.[citation needed]

I suspect it was something besides, or in addition to, the beer. 2 beers shouldn't do that even with fusel alcohol.

Maybe transfer to bottles and open one every month or so...

I have enouhg kegs that I might just put the keg in a dark corner and forget about it for a year or two.

Latest posts

Back