Manifold wrapped in SS Braid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it would prevent a stuck sparge so much as it would cut down the amount you have to recirc. SS braid is a durn good filter but lacks structure (much like many HBers). The manifold skeleton would provide than. Sounds like a good combo to me!

Then how 'bout this? Instead of removing the inner tubing, push the SS back, drill a couple dozen good sized holes in the inner-tube, then letting the SS go back to its original shape? Sounds like an easy manifold.

The real problem with doing this is you are still plugging up a great deal of the open surface area of the braid. You could run some 3/16" stainless or copper rod through the braid to give it some rigidity (or maybe 1/4" OD copper tubing). It wouldn't really connect to anything, just kinda float inside the braid allowing all the openings to pull wort in. In my case, I glued a little block of acrylic at the far end of my rectangular cooler so that I could attach a round clamp to it with a screw. This holds the end of my braid in place.

From what I've read, manifolds almost never get stuck sparges. The only reason Rhoobarb had that problem was his manifold came apart at the base.

Hey, didn't you say you bought a round cooler? How come you're not using a false bottom? They seem like a really good option as long as you're not using a rectangular cooler.

Also, on the idea of pulling back the braid and poking holes - I think the part you remove is plastic.

I think you may be on to something. Here's what I might do. leave the hose assembly intact then drill your holes where there are gaps in the SS mesh, use the connector on 1 end to connect to the ball valve put a plug up the other end.
But unless you put a bunch of holes in the pipe I think you may be increasing your chances of a stuck sparge. If you just like making you own equipment I think it's an idea worth trying. If you are trying to save money you may be better off with a manifold or false bottom.

rdwj said:
From what I've read, manifolds almost never get stuck sparges. The only reason Rhoobarb had that problem was his manifold came apart at the base.

Hey, didn't you say you bought a round cooler? How come you're not using a false bottom? They seem like a really good option as long as you're not using a rectangular cooler.

Also, on the idea of pulling back the braid and poking holes - I think the part you remove is plastic.

I'm torn on the decision between the two.

If you bent a piece of copper to the desired shape, then drilled 40-50 holes in it, then slid the SS sleve over it, I don't see why it wouldn't work fine. Just need a bunch of holes to allow a good runoff flow rate. But remember, bend to shape before drilling. If ya drill first, then ben, it's likely to just crimp.

Sounds like overkill to me--if you're going to bother making a manifold, why bother with the SS braid?

Latest posts

Back