simplest mead imagineable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivot

Reaction score
hey so i was wondering how exactly it would come out if I just made the most basic mead you can make. simply:

3lbs honey
3/4 gallons water
champaign yeast.

this would be insanely cheap and awesome to make, but would it be just plain and crappy, or does the bare bones basics still come out nice?

What you have there is a traditional mead. I make (and enjoy) them often. Your recipe should ferment to dryness (OG ~1.106, ABV ~14%).

if the honey just ferments out completely dso its dry, what will it taste like? im not sure how this works. will there be any honey flavour left if all the honey completely ferments out?

You will need raisins, because honey is a hostile environment to yeast(as far as fermentable sugars go)

Raisins add nutrient and tannins, both make for a much better mouth feel and fermentation.

I would use a small box, and try to stagger them as per the mead FAQ. I would also blend them in water.

Just blended raisins + water + honey. Shake it a bunch, pitch the yeast.

Dry honey is great, its the alcohol burn you will need to age out.

As a counter, I've never once added raisins (or tannins) to my meads. They taste great.

Both digdan and I are correct in our methods. Mead is what you make of it.

I wouldn't go with champaign yeast though...get something slightly less 'aggressive'... I think EC-1118 is a good 18% ABV wine yeast...won't be so 'bone dry'.

And you'll need to age it a year. Also honey isn't exactly 'cheap'. 3lbs of good honey will run you probably $15 (not expensive, but not 'dirt cheap' by my standards)

Back