won't ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loofey

Reaction score
ok took 5 gallons of pasturized cider from local store, unfiltered local. added 2 pounds of dark brown sugar and english cider yeast, waited 5 days nothing. hydrated a packet of trusty ol 1118 and nothing. the only new thing here is the dark brown sugar and the brix reading showed a final frement of about 8% abv but the fermentation wont start. is it the brown sugar?:cross:

I have 5 gallons of Cider with a pound of brown sugar in it bubbling away in my garage. Using 1118 yeast and it started in just a matter of hours. I don't think the problem has to do with sugar. Brown sugar ferments well. It seems strange that it won't start, they didn't put preservatives in the cider did they?

How if you said that the brix reading showed a final frement of about 8% abv can you say it didn't ferment?

If you achieved 8% abv, you had fermentation.

I am a little confused...A decrease in gravity from Original to final, is how you achieve the ABV....and fermentation is the only thing that can make a gravity reading drop...so how can you have 8% abv and NOT have fermentation?

ohhh darn it seems preserves are in it. sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate. ahhhgg these old eyes dont look at that small print much anymore. any way around this?:mad: the origional brix was 15.8 and has not changed in 10 days, also the airlock has showed no activity.

the brix reading prior to fermentation will give an estimated final ferment alcohol content, that was information provided so one of you wiser brewers could see the sugar was well within limits for a good fermentation. my apologies for any confusion.

You could try racking the mix onto a large yeast cake, but even then I understand it produces some off taste.
I would just drink that juice and go out and buy some Tree top, or Mott's, or other juice without preservatives.

ohhh darn it seems preserves are in it. sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate. ahhhgg these old eyes dont look at that small print much anymore. any way around this?:mad: the origional brix was 15.8 and has not changed in 10 days, also the airlock has showed no activity.

There's your problem, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate are yeast killers. You need some juice without preservative to make this work. Looks like you have some might sweet cider to dispose of. Maybe heat it up, add cinnamon and throw a party?

ahhhhhrrrrgggg. ok im fine now. ummm yea wheremarts open i can get cider there. note to self: take reading glasses.
thanks all

yureka! it started to blow bubbles this morning. i noticed last night just before bed that the telltale tiny co2 bubbles were just starting to form. i guess even with chemicals and all you just can't keep a good yeast down lav 1118. unfourtunatly i didnt want to use champane yeast on this batch but oh well we'll see what happens.
calls for a celebration. i wonder how the ol cider in the cellar (freezer distilled applejack) is doing?

Oh Yeah!!! Glad to hear it finally kicked off for you. Definitely a cause for celebration...:)

Well, I just glad you got some fermentation going, those yeast can really pull of some impressive stuff. :)

Well, some people point think that freeze distilling does not conform to the law, some say its fine. I would not like a visit from the men in black so.. I'm not a lawyer, but I avoid even the possibility.

That reminds me of my favourite joke.
ATF - Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Sounds like a great party I'll bring the chips and dip! :)

Back