The GaP (Grocery and Produce) Beer Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is a mold that produces amylase, the enzyme that breaks down the starch. You can find in the form of Koji, the mold grown on rice for the purpose of making sake or other east asian goodies.

So I tried my GaP Strawberry Molasses today and took a reading. SG 1.042, after 6 days its at 1.008. The molasses taste is actually really nice. It will need to age a bit because it tastes watery somewhat. The strawberry is very very subtle. The burnt molasses that I added for bittering worked amazing.

I'm following this thread and I just think it's fantastic. I'm also making mental notes for the zombie apocalypse.

So it's an enzyme???? How would we get it, just use rice??? More info please.

:mug:

Well, it's a fungus that naturally grows on rice which produces and enzyme. What I'd try is cook some rice and let it get moldy (until it has a nice sake or rice-wine vinegar smell) then mash it with your wheaties or grapenuts or whatever. I don't know much about fungus, so I don't know how you'd tell if you got asp. oryzae growing or something more sinisiter, other than if it smells bad throw it out!

I came across this while looking for pictures of asp. oryzae on GIS it looks like what you're looking for: http://occultedstructure.blogspot.com/. It's the entry for 26. january 2008, "Unamalted Fungal Outmeal Stout"

Interesting thread. I enjoyed reading the different concoctions and experiments. But my local store sells coopers kits :D
Though we pay a lot more for packaged beers.

Well, it's a fungus that naturally grows on rice which produces and enzyme. What I'd try is cook some rice and let it get moldy (until it has a nice sake or rice-wine vinegar smell) then mash it with your wheaties or grapenuts or whatever. I don't know much about fungus, so I don't know how you'd tell if you got asp. oryzae growing or something more sinisiter, other than if it smells bad throw it out!

I came across this while looking for pictures of asp. oryzae on GIS it looks like what you're looking for: http://occultedstructure.blogspot.com/. It's the entry for 26. january 2008, "Unamalted Fungal Outmeal Stout"

Wow....it looks like, that expect for the little bit of black malt the he used...THAT would constitute a GAP beer.....

i wouldnt have thought Quinoa would be something one would use for a beer. interesting.

so let me get this right. anything in a grocery store but not whole foods/wild oats? well looks like i will have to hit this other grocery store that has more grains but like an albertsons.

also found this

http://byo.com/feature/284.html
http://homebrewinghobby.blogspot.com/ sorry one more as well

Update time: So I bottled my GaP beer yesterday, came out to 6 12oz hoegaarden bottles and one 22oz, bottled with a bit of cane sugar for priming. The sample from the FG reading looked like this
sample.jpg

The taste is pretty good, although way too citris-y, I must have overestimated the amount of orange/lime peel I used for bittering/flavor. I'd still drink it on a hot day, it comes across like a belgian wit version of BL lime or something, interesting for sure. I shall update in 2 weeks or so when it carbs.

Update time: So I bottled my GaP beer yesterday, came out to 6 12oz hoegaarden bottles and one 22oz, bottled with a bit of cane sugar for priming. The sample from the FG reading looked like this

The taste is pretty good, although way too citris-y, I must have overestimated the amount of orange/lime peel I used for bittering/flavor. I'd still drink it on a hot day, it comes across like a belgian wit version of BL lime or something, interesting for sure. I shall update in 2 weeks or so when it carbs.

Oh wow....that looks more appealing than I expected....and sounds like it tastes pretty good. :mug:

i brewed 5gal of wheat beer with the zest of 1 orangw and 1/2 a lime and the lime overpowering, go easy on the lime.

Mine is SOUR and I'm beginning to think it was less about the citrus and more about the feeling that there's a lacto infection going on in some of my equipment, as my Dark Ginger Beer Experiment is taking on the same sour characteristics as my GaP beer. I'm currently in the process of bleaching the living hell out of all my equipment to make sure it doesn't happen again. EvilTOJ has a banana GaP going on that I haven't heard updates on in forever, he should chime in here....

i was wondering if those of you who have tried this experiment if we should possibly list out the recipes? i wouldnt mind trying some of these with some adjustments to see how it can turn out.

Never mind i see some of them. i needed to re-read again since it has been a while since the last time. very interesting. Evil how did your second attempt work out?

i was wondering if those of you who have tried this experiment if we should possibly list out the recipes? i wouldnt mind trying some of these with some adjustments to see how it can turn out.

I dunno, I think you should have to suffer through it on your own like we all did...I mean during the coming zombipocalypse you won't have access to teh internetz for recipe hints...all you will have is your grocery store and hopefully a couple of nubile slavegirls to help you...(nubile slave girls dig brewers who are inventive.) :D

I mean the main reason for this experiment is to prepare us for the inevitable return to the stone age, and a time when drinking water is polluted...This way we can declare ourselves king and provider of the sacred barley water,,,and people will come from miles around to trade (hopefully more nubile slavegirls, shotgun shells and food...but mostly nubile slave girls) for gallons of healthy beverages. :D

I dunno, I think you should have to suffer through it on your own like we all did...I mean during the coming zombipocalypse you won't have access to teh internetz for recipe hints...all you will have is your grocery store and hopefully a couple of nubile slavegirls to help you...(nubile slave girls dig brewers who are inventive.) :D

I mean the main reason for this experiment is to prepare us for the inevitable return to the stone age, and a time when drinking water is polluted...This way we can declare ourselves king and provider of the sacred barley water,,,and people will come from miles around to trade (hopefully more nubile slavegirls, shotgun shells and food...but mostly nubile slave girls) for gallons of healthy beverages. :D

hahaha yes but i am trying to learn from the sages of the site. I am a n00b, and need a little direction to get started. After trying something like Evil's, I can then understand what he is talking about. I can then tweak as needed, to experiment and gain some of my own wisdom and hopefully offer sage advise to others. :D

hahaha yes but i am trying to learn from the sages of the site. I am a n00b, and need a little direction to get started. After trying something like Evil's, I can then understand what he is talking about. I can then tweak as needed, to experiment and gain some of my own wisdom and hopefully offer sage advise to others. :D

Actually if you skim the this and the other GAP threads, you will pretty much find our recipes...We pretty much all listed them...

You have to do SOME work you know. :D

Actually if you skim the this and the other GAP threads, you will pretty much find our recipes...We pretty much all listed them...

You have to do SOME work you know. :D

thats why i re-read the thread and found the recipes. ;-). That was why i edited the post saying never mind :D

Ok, so strolling through my local grocery store and I decided to see what was there, I wasn't at my usual one, so I was a bit unfamiliar with the possible beer-making supplies this particular Albersons had to offer, and I learned a few things, first of all, there is a $hit selection of beers, and there was only 2 live-sediment beers in the extensive beer/wine/liquor section, Hoegaarden Wit (which is apparently Wyeast 3944 Belgian White) and Chimey (apparently Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey). So I devised the following one-gallon recipe from what was there:

Ingredients:
1lb 8 oz grape nuts cereal (one box)
4 oz "instant" couscous
4 oz rolled oats [oatmeal]
? oz Sugar (to get the OG to about 1.050)
1/8 tsp corrander
1/4 tsp orange peel
1/2 tsp wormwood (or other bitter herb, to taste)
1 capsule beano
(Starter from a hoegaarden wit)

Method:
grind up the package of grapenuts (which is 50/50 wheat/barley roughly) using whatever method, to the constancy you'd normally have malt. Put grape-nut grinds, oatmeal and couscous into water and "mash" at 150F with beano tablet added for 40 mins (or untill starch conversion is done) Add herbs and spices at flameout, and sparge like normal. Boil for 60 mins, add sugar to get to desired OG. Wait untill blood warm, pitch yeast, etc.

This is loosely based off of a Hoegaarden clone, kinda a ghetto, psuto-probation Belgian wit beer, for full probation effect, use bread yeast. I shall be starting this one as soon as my Hoegaarden starter is done.

Comments? thoughts?

Thinking of trying a recipe similar to this, but, living in the UK, have no access to Beano. What is it anyway? I might try the banana route. How would I go about this?

if you try this, add like 3 beano tablets ground up, and do a slow'n'low mash. Looking back on this project it was kinda a mess, although I was just thinking about it the other day, I picked up a bunch of ornimental corn that I am going to sprout then malt for some enzymes, the beano route was kinda a bust. imho.

if you try this, add like 3 beano tablets ground up, and do a slow'n'low mash. Looking back on this project it was kinda a mess, although I was just thinking about it the other day, I picked up a bunch of ornimental corn that I am going to sprout then malt for some enzymes, the beano route was kinda a bust. imho.

The current BYO has an article on sake making, and they talk about that enzyme that helps the rice along...I was thinking about trying it again, but using that at some point.

Looks like round two of the GaP may be happening again. Maybe over the 12 days I'm off for the Christmas Holidays.

We need a new thread!
Listing the rules!
Listing what definitely did NOT work last time.
and lining out the CAN'T USE! products. (I know there are grocery stores with Malt in them)

I'll leave that up to you sir! if I start it it'll just pass right on down to the bottom. haha.

We should make a sticky if any of these turn out well, also since I and a clueless
noob, maybe someone could tell me if unbleached whole wheat flour or oatmeal
seems like it would work. This is such a cool thread!

We should make a sticky if any of these turn out well, also since I and a clueless
noob, maybe someone could tell me if unbleached whole wheat flour or oatmeal
seems like it would work. This is such a cool thread!

Evidently the Australian brewers who host Craftbrewer Radio have been able to do some interesting things with unmalted wheat flour, as well as stuff like millet. You'll have to dig through their archives to the episodes that they talk about it...Their podcasts aren't as well organised and single topic oriented like Basicbrewing..Look for any podcast where they talk about the "Tropical Flower Wit Beer" they are doing stuff like roasting wheat flower in an oven to get somethig that can be partially converted..

Also listen to their gluten free one's as well...
I've been digging through their podcasts, starting from 2005...they are doing some interesting things on that side of the world..Thing I didn't think were possible.

hmm, how about cream of wheat, molasses, coffee for bitterness and beano for conversion? sounds good to me so long as the cream of wheat can be separated from the wort. did anyone ever figure anything out about using bananas for conversion? i'd rather use a natural product like that than beano. mmmm, banana-coffee-molasses weizen.

I've followed all 15 pages of this and have a recipe. Would this work, or not so much?

Zombieiser -
1 Gallon Batch

2 Pounds Corn Flakes
2 Pounds Rice Chex
1 Pound Table Sugar
3 Teaspoons Angostura Bitters
Cultured Yeast from a Bottle fermented lager

From what I've read in the past, I'm gonna guess that I'll probably have to mash the corn flakes and Rice Chex.

I'm also not sure how to put this into Beersmith. If this would work, anybody got an idea as to what the ABV would be? How about the Angostura Bitters as a bittering agent?

If anybody can verify that this might work, or any changes I should make, I'll go for it.

I've followed all 15 pages of this and have a recipe. Would this work, or not so much?

Zombieiser -
1 Gallon Batch

2 Pounds Corn Flakes
2 Pounds Rice Chex
1 Pound Table Sugar

From what I've read in the past, I'm gonna guess that I'll probably have to mash the corn flakes and Rice Chex.

I'm also not sure how to put this into Beersmith. If this would work, anybody got an idea as to what the ABV would be? How about the Angostura Bitters as a bittering agent?

If anybody can verify that this might work, or any changes I should make, I'll go for it.

You wil most liekly need to mash with an enzyme to get anything from the cereal...that's sort of the issue with this...

Angostino bitters was supposed to be MY bittering agent but I never got that far...I think it will work though I have no clue how much to use...that seems quite high for a 1 gallon batch.....

I would take quart of sugar water (or something really sweet) and start adding 1/4 teaspoons of bitters to it and sipping till it was balanced enoughed without being overpowering.

i have been thinking of this thread lately. on yeast how do you think wild yeast would be from a wild yeast culture of a cider? i figure if it tastes good you know the yeast is good.

Zombieiser -
1 Gallon Batch[/B]
2 Pounds Corn Flakes
2 Pounds Rice Chex
1 Pound Table Sugar

Where are you going to find a Bottle Ferm Lager? I dont think I know any.

Just playing Devils Advocate. :D

:off: I haven't seen this thread in forever!!

Eschatz - You know, that's a very, very good point, haha. I couldn't think of any off the top of my head, but my local grocery store has a really good selection and figured I'd probably be able to find one. If not, then I'll find a bottle conditioned ale (maybe a wit).

And Revvy- Sorry about stealing your idea with the bitters, I musta skipped over it or else I would have credited you.

The way I got my amount, was I went to their site, found a recipe for a cocktail, which calls for 4 shakes per drink.

I then found how many shakes per tsp, which is 16.

I then took those numbers, and divided and came up that each serving of this beer would have 1/4 tsp.

I then multiplied by 1/4 tsp x 10 (the number of 12oz beers in a gallon) and came up with 2.5 teaspoons.

I think I'm gonna give it a try. Will post pics and how it goes.

I think I remember Beano being able to aid those enzymes in the mash. Two capsels if I recall correctly.

After using Bean-o myself in my first attempt at this project, I strongly recomend against it. BUT if you are going to, I'd say 2-3 capsels per gallon in the mash, mash for a long time (think over 90 mins) at a low temp (148ish). I plan on doing a GaP coming up pretty soon (before school starts up again) and will be steering clear of Bean-o this time around, being much more in favor of enzymes in starchy fruits (plaintains) and home-malted corn, with some honey to form more of a braggot. I'll post a recipe when I finish it up.

After using Bean-o myself in my first attempt at this project, I strongly recomend against it. BUT if you are going to, I'd say 2-3 capsels per gallon in the mash, mash for a long time (think over 90 mins) at a low temp (148ish). I plan on doing a GaP coming up pretty soon (before school starts up again) and will be steering clear of Bean-o this time around, being much more in favor of enzymes in starchy fruits (plaintains) and home-malted corn, with some honey to form more of a braggot. I'll post a recipe when I finish it up.

To be honest, I've never gone the GaP beer route. I've only read this thread once or twice in interest. It does seem like a fun experiment though. A braggot would come to mind before a beer would though in interest of creating a more commercial flavor as opposed to the pruno/hooch that I've got a feeling would probably flow from my tap on this one. ;)

Back