Priming with candi sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyebrewer

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Triple last week. The recipe has 1.5 lbs of candi sugar in it. In the foot notes of the recipe it said to use the candi sugar for priming. I have been looking at other triple recipes this week and all of the other recipes I have read use the candi sugar in the boil and not for priming. 1.5 lbs of candi sugar seems like way to much to prime with.? Should I have used it in the boil.? My OG was a little low. If anyone else has primed with candi sugar how much did you use. Thanks....I can post recipe if necessary.

whoa, 1.5 lbs of candi sugar would be a lot to prime with, waaaay to much. Definitely should have put it in the boil but the beer should still be ok without it. Go ahead and post the recipe, curious to take a look at it.

I guessing the recipe meant to put the 1.5 lbs of candi sugar in the boil and then prime with an extra amount of candi sugar as opposed to dextrose. I have never heard of priming with candi sugar but I would imagine it is fairly close to the same amount as dextrose.

The recipe was actually from this site. I forgot where I got it from. Its O Flannigain's recipe. I guess I should have emailed him instead. None the less, in the foot notes it says primed with candi sugar. I should have caught that.....thats a crazy amount of sugar to prime with. It makes me feel much better about my effciency though....I was almost 20 points short with the OG. Supposed to be 1.080 I got 1.062. The link to the recipe I used is below.

Thanks for looking and the feedback....you all have made my beers and brewing better. (hold glass up and big drink to you guys and gals)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=43011

Are you using a Belgian yeast? Those often respond well to incremental sugar additions as opposed to high OG's, so you might just dissolve your pound and a half in some water and add it to the primary (or 2ndary). +1 on that being way to much for priming though. (unless your planning on giving the whole batch to your ex-wife and her lawyer ;)

the way i read that recipe, o'flannigan used 1.5 lbs of candi sugar in the boil, and primed with additional candi sugar, but doesn't say how much.

i'd just prime with corn sugar as normal unless i knew the right amount of candi sugar, definitely not 1.5 lbs.

I used Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong. Should I just add the disolved candi sugar into secondary? It cleared out nicely and is sitting in the basement at around 56 degrees. I'm in no hurry for it.....I was actually making this for summer time. I think I will prime with corn sugar or DME when it comes time. I still haven't figured out what would be the right amount of candi sugar to prime 5 gal. If anyone knows it would be good info to have though. Thanks again for the feedback:rockin:

I'd just prime with 3/4 c dextrose, seeing as it is much cheaper than candi sugar. All the Belgian brews that I made that called for bottling with candi sugar I used either DME (1 and 1/4 cups) or dextrose (3/4 cup).

Bump. Curious about this also... what's the word... can you prime with it or can't you...? And if so, how much would you use? (7 gallon batch)

Back