Cold Fermentation Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_howard

Reaction score
I'm experimenting in my basement with a 6.5 gallon bucket sitting in a water bath in my camping-cooler. The bucket is filled to five gallons. It actually fits pretty well, but I can't close the lid on the cooler.

So, I found some styrofoam sheets I had previously used in my old aluminum windows (since replaced) and covered most of the surface area of the water. It's sat exactly at 50 degrees all day, and it's less than five feet from my furnace (it was the best place to put it!)

The goal is to maintain 50 degrees between now and Friday. If that works, then I'll get going on my first lager in the next few weeks.

Fortunetly, my garage stays in the 40's this time of year, so I don't think I'll have trouble laggering it after fermentation!

I use a similar method to control my frem temps. I can keep a Igloo Cube Cooler, no lid, with 6 gal full ale pale at 62-65* for a week changing out 1 or 2 small ice bottles twice a day when my basement is 72*

I also stuck a lab thermometer into the wort through the airlock hole a few times during active fermentation and the wort registered the same temp as the water bath (at least within a degree).

I think a long thermometer would be a good idea. The one I have now wont reach far enough. Theres a 24 inch one on amazon for $30.

Back