Thoughts on this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanglow

Reaction score
I really should just stick to tried and tested recipes as I'm just starting out on AG brewing but I can't help myself :drunk:

40% Maris Otter
40% Vienna
10% Aromatic malt
10% Sugar

OG 1.064

Yeast S-04

Mashed at 152F

Hops - All Apollo

25.5 IBUs 60min 20g (about 2/3oz)
14.2 IBUs 20min 15g (about 1/2 oz)
7.6 IBUs 5min 20g
1.5 IBUs flameout 20g

Total - IBUs - 48.9

I have yet to add the sugar as I was aiming for an OG of 1.066 but seem to have got much better efficiency. I may still add it

I'm also going to dry hop it, I have about 1oz or so of apollo left

I was aiming for quite a malty IPA, do you reckon it'll be ok?

10% aromatic malt is quite a lot. I'd probably go with 5% or so, and increase the base malt.

I've never used apollo hops, so I can't comment on the flavor impact. I haven't heard that they are very good in late additions, but if you like them that is fine. 49 IBUs is pretty low for an IPA, though. The flavor and aroma hops are low- typically I see an ounce at each addition. So the bittering will be low for an IPA, and the hops flavor and aroma will be on the low side.

S04 is an unusual choice for an IPA, but I have used it with good results. One advantage is that it works quickly, and clears the beer well and forms a tightly compacted yeast cake. Some disadvantages are that it gets weirdly fruity if the fermentation temperature exceeds about 70-72 degrees, and isn't really good in an IPA at that temperature. If you can ferment in the low 60s, it'll be ok. If you can't ferment lower than 64 degrees, then I'd suggest S05 which is better and "cleaner" for IPAs, especially at a higher temperature.

You will have a warm, bready, malty beer with that grainbill. That's fine if that's what you are going for, but then I'd make sure to keep sugar out of it if that is the goal. The sugar will boost the ABV, sure, but also ferment out fully leaving a drier thinner finish in the beer. It seems like two opposite things going on there.

Thanks for the quick reply yooper. I brewed it earlier today so no going back :eek:

I'm fermenting at about 62F and was going to use S05 but it turns out I only had S04, so went with that

One week in the bottle and it's just as you described

Very little hop flavour, very malt forward. It's a nice beer :eek:

I didn't dry hop it in the end

Now I just need to leave it alone for a few weeks to condition properly :eek:

Yooper said:
10% aromatic malt is quite a lot. I'd probably go with 5% or so, and increase the base malt.

I've never used apollo hops, so I can't comment on the flavor impact. I haven't heard that they are very good in late additions, but if you like them that is fine. 49 IBUs is pretty low for an IPA, though. The flavor and aroma hops are low- typically I see an ounce at each addition. So the bittering will be low for an IPA, and the hops flavor and aroma will be on the low side.

S04 is an unusual choice for an IPA, but I have used it with good results. .

Dont English IPAs usually fall within 40-60 IBUs?

And wouldn't S04 fit an English IPA?

I agree with the flavor/aroma additions. If this is an American IPA I understand your points. To me, it just seems more like an English IPA or perhaps an ESB.

Back