Recommedations on places to visit in St. Paul

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For our second anniversery the wife and I will be going to St. Paul for about 5 days. Two of these day she will be spending at a knitting convention so I am looking for recommendations on places to visit while she is busy.

Anyone recommend breweries, beer pubs or other points of interest I might try to visit in the twin cities? She enjoys beer as much as I do so some things we might try to do together.

Thanks...

If you want to stock up on craft beers, take a trip across the river to Hudson, WI and visit Casanova's Liquors. The best beer shop I have ever visited.

Beyond that, Summit gives a pretty decent free tour with tastings included! And you can always visit the Northern Brewer & Midwest Supplies stores.

Summit brewing is a few miles out of downtown off 7th street on Montreal Circle, they do tours Tues, Thurs, and Saturdays I believe. It's a great brewery. As far as brewpubs go, I only know of a couple in Uptown in Minneapolis. The Lyndale Taphouse and the Herkimer. Oh, and there's one downtown St Paul called Great Waters but their brews aren't anything great and the fare is mediocre at best. Other breweries around are Flat Earth, Surly, and Lift Bridge(outside of the cities in Stillwater). If you go down by the Grand Avenue area there are a few bars that keep an impressive number and quality of taps going, The Muddy Pig usually has about 80 I think, The Happy Gnome I think is around 45 and The Blue Door has less but the brews are all craft and micro.

While in St Paul, two of my favorites are the Muddy Pig and The Happy Gnome. Great selections on tap and great food also. I hear alot about Town Hall also but havent been there yet.

If you want to stock up on craft brews and don't want to cross the Cheddar Curtain(WI), Zipp's in Minneapolis has a lot of hard to get beer that even Cassanova's can't get. But Cassanova's does do growler fills and has a great selection and the staff knows a ton about beer

Haven't been there in a few years. But a good pint of beer and a bocce ball game in the basement of Half Time Rec was always a good time. Watch out for the locals on the bocce ball court they know all the lumps and humps. You will be buying alot of beer and you will not be the one drinking it.

Happy Gnome is good too. If you want a huge selection of scotch the St. Paul Hotel can't be beat.

I know I know this is a beer forum.

Back