Brewhouse Efficiency - 99%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhern053

Reaction score
(re-post, got no feedback last time)

2nd all-grain brewed Sunday. This is the first time I'm taking brewhouse efficiency into account. I think I'm doing this right, but my result seems wrong.

Ingredient............Amount % When
US 2-Row Malt......6.00 lb 64.9 % In Mash/Steeped
US Carapils Malt....1.00 lb 10.8 % In Mash/Steeped
UK Light Crystal.....0.50 lb 5.4 % In Mash/Steeped
UK Rolled Oats.......0.50 lb 5.4 % In Mash/Steeped
US Chocolate Malt...0.25 lb 2.7 % In Mash/Steeped
Sugar - Honey........1.00 lb 10.8 % End Of Boil

5.75 gallon in the fermenter when I took the gravity reading (@ 60 degrees F) and I got an OG of 1.058. According to Beer Alchemy, at a 75% efficiency I should have only had a 1.045. I changed the efficiency slowly (80%, then 85%, then 90%, etc.) to see at what efficiency I was running at to get such a high OG until I got the gravity to say 1.058. But I was only able to raise it to 1.058 when my efficiency was at 99%. The FG was measured today and it's at 1.010.

Hydrometer is working & calibrated, I know for sure I had no layering.

Now I highly doubt my efficiency is this high. What could I be missing?

Of course you know that you didn't get 99% efficiency, since that is impossible.

Did you look at the malt analysis sheets for the malts you used, or just go by the "default" settings?

How are you measuring volume? Who weighed your malt? You either have too low volume due to mismarked bucket or you have way more malt than you thought you did. Or you added more honey than you thought.

Negative on malt analysis. I just went with the default settings on Beer Alchemy.

Malt and honey measurements were by weight and accurate.

Whatever your process is; patent it! The big boys will give you millions $$$$$ for it!

Your volume is off, your weights are off, or your reading is off.

never mind, i didn't read your post well enough before posting. something is measured wrong is all i can say.

You didn't stir your honey enough to get it totally mixed making your reading off.

The honey was mixed completely during cooling.

I think the homebrew shop gave me too much base malt. That's all I can say. Thanks for your inputs.

Back