What yall brewin'?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
BREWING THIS ON SATURDAY!!!!

Brewer: Brewpilot
Beer: Hefeweizen
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
Type: All grain
Size: 5.5 gallons
Color:
3 HCU (~3 SRM) 

Bitterness: 14 IBU
OG: 1.051 FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 5.1% v/v (4.0% w/w)
Grain:
3 lb. German Pilsner
6 lb. Wheat malt
1 lb. American 6-row
Mash: 75% efficiency Step Mash... 122 for 30 min, 152 for 45 min.
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.044 6.5 gallons Rehydrated Irish Moss at 15 minutes
Hops:
.5 oz. Hallertauer Hersbrucker (5% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Willamette (5% AA, 15 min.)
Yeast: WLP300 (starter)

Awesome, I hope to have some good pics and details on mine this weekend...

I just brewed your Fat Tire clone the other day. My first real AG. I'm undecided on what to brew next. I'm thinking of trying a Stone's IPA or Arragant Bastard clone.

Ive been wanting to do a good hefe but have never gotten around to it. Brewed an IPA last night hopefully it comes out good.

Oh yeah....brew pilot you better get all the brewing in you can before a certain company starts taking your days off

Um, yeah, do yourself a favor and omit the irish moss.

Um, fortunately (depending on how you look at it), I'm not brewing for awhile.

Here's why.

And this too...

I'd love to brew right now if I could. I have yet to send my Barley Crusher on its maiden voyage, or use any of the big sack of gleneagles maris otter that I just got. But, alas, what in the hell would I do with it? Plus, I'm in the middle of constructing a fence around my yard, while trying to finish up construction documents for a $23m retail/condominium mid-rise. So...yeah, I'm laying off for awhile. I've got my Pilsner in bottle, which will be a summer staple, and my wit & hefe are going into bottle soon too. I'm all set. Sooner or later I'll brew that Roche 10 I've been scheming on, but probably not for a good long while.

Evan! said:
Um, yeah, do yourself a favor and omit the irish moss.

Um, fortunately (depending on how you look at it), I'm not brewing for awhile.

Here's why.

And this too...

I'd love to brew right now if I could. I have yet to send my Barley Crusher on its maiden voyage, or use any of the big sack of gleneagles maris otter that I just got. But, alas, what in the hell would I do with it? Plus, I'm in the middle of constructing a fence around my yard, while trying to finish up construction documents for a $23m retail/condominium mid-rise. So...yeah, I'm laying off for awhile. I've got my Pilsner in bottle, which will be a summer staple, and my wit & hefe are going into bottle soon too. I'm all set. Sooner or later I'll brew that Roche 10 I've been scheming on, but probably not for a good long while.

DAMN!!! someone needs to have a party... :mug: :ban:

krispy d said:
DAMN!!! someone needs to have a party... :mug: :ban:

Sadly...I had a party on Sunday, and we cruised through some homebrew like pros...and somehow we hardly made a dent in the stash.

And they call this a hobby?

I'm going to try to get in an APA this weekend. Rain is in the forecast.

Willamette APA

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.75
Anticipated OG: 1.055 Plato: 13.64
Anticipated SRM: 8.9
Anticipated IBU: 45.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
76.6 9.00 lbs. Dingeman's Belgium Pale Belgium 1.037 3
17.0 2.00 lbs. Munich Malt Australia 1.038 6
2.1 0.25 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
4.3 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Horizon Pellet 13.00 28.4 60 min.
0.50 oz. Horizon Pellet 13.00 9.5 20 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.60 4.0 10 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.60 3.3 1 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP002 English Ale

Evan, those pics are a thing of beauty! Time to give some of that stash away so you can brew again. I give most of my beer away for that very reason. It's harder now that I'm kegging though. Still have to bottle every once in a while.

Thinned out right now, only have 2 in ferment. Had to slow down till we drink up a bit of the stock pile. APA, IPA, Hefe in bottles...Summer Wheat on tap, APA and Cherry Stout going into kegs this weekend.

seefresh said:
... just brewed my 2nd hefeweizen (dunkel) in 2 weeks last night!...
I'm doing a hefe, too. In fact, I'm going to attempt something this Saturday that I have never done before. I'm planning to brew two different beers in one day!:rockin:

We're supposed to have a beautiful, sunny 67oF day and I plan to be up with the sun. I'll be brewing an Alt in the morning and the Weizen in the afternoon. I also plan to plant my Magnum rhizomes and smoke some chicken, pork and sausages on the smoker!

My g/f will be over to help me out late morning. We're gonna be dead by the end of the day!:tank:

Got a Fat Tire clone in the primary's right now. Airlock is still bubbling away 5 days later. I'll brew a SNPA clone in a week or so. I need more primary's. :(

Going out of town this weekend, so no brewing for us.

Next weekend we'll bottle our Bells Brown clone, and rack our Dragon's Milk clone to the secondary where it will sit for a month.

When the brown is bottled, we'll have eight cases of beer bottled, another two in the secondary, and we also have a 5 gallon batch of mead in the secondary too.

Aside from BierMuncher's Blue Moon clone, we're set for awhile I think.

Once our supply of red starts to dwindle we'll probably make another batch of that. I'm thinking that's going to be our house beer.

04A. Bitter And English Pale Ale, Ordinary Bitter tonight:
OG 1.038
FG 1.010
IBU 36
ABV 3.6 %
SRM 7

7.00 British Two-row Pale
0.40 British Crystal 60L
1.00 First Gold Whole/Plug 7.5%, 90 min
1.00 Kent Golding Whole/Plug 4.5%, 10 min
WLP002

03A. Light Ale, Rye Blond Ale tomorrow or Sat. (assuming my hops show up):
OG 1.045
FG 1.011
IBU 21
ABV 4.4 %
SRM 3

7.00 American Two-row Pale
2.00 Flaked Rye
Centennial and Willamette leaf hops, schedule TBD
WLP060

Then when either one of those comes out of primary, a barleywine on the resulting yeast cake. Hopefully Mon night.

And I'll still have one corny left to fill...

I brewed a stout this morning. A buddy of mine is leaving next month and he wanted a stout for his going away party...so he came over early this morning and we knocked it out. Brewing a weizenbock next week though.

Once again I will say- No brewing this weekend. We have a major inspection next weekend and I'll be working this weekend.
I'm thinking about taking a couple days off work after this damn thing is finished and doing a couple brews.

due to the 117 dollar speeding ticket i am brewing up a six gallon batch of a mild ale... six pounds of grains, some sugar and a few hops tossed atop some london ale yeast from white labs. then i'm taking a forced sebatical untill i pay off the ticket.. ****ers!!!!!:rockin:

should be back into the swing in mid may... luckily i have a porter to bottle as well as my lawnmower and roto-tiller beer, which should be consumable in two weeks....

Brewing a Wext coast amber- this is a clone of Bear republic's Red Rocket.

12.25 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt
0.5 lbs Victory® Malt
1.0 lbs Munich Malt
1.0 lbs Crystal Malt 40°L
0.5 lbs Crystal Malt 120°L
1.5 oz Chocolate Malt
1.0 oz Warrior (16.0%) 60. min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) 10.0 min
1.0 oz Centennial (10.0%) - 10.0 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) 2.0 min
1.0 oz Centennial (10.0%) - 2.0 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP001 California Ale

This was from the Jamil show on the brewingnetwork.

Brewing Right Now!

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

88% Fawcett
12% Briess 60L ---> 12 SRM should be spot on

Magnums
Perles
Mucho Cascades

It's a Kolsch for me this weekend. I haven't finalized the recipe yet, something along the lines of

6 lbs Pils malt
1 lb Vienna
1 lb Wheat
1/3 Honey malt

Haven't decided on hops yet. I'm contemplating this schedule
~1 oz FWH
~0.5 oz @ 30 min
0.25 oz @ 5 min

I've got a pretty wide variety of hops right now. I'm leaning towards some Spalt, Tettnanger, maybe Liberty (I have a plant so I want to learn more how this is flavored). Any other hop suggestion?

Just finished cleaning up the kitchen after a brew day. A lawnmower cream ale, should be aged and ready to go just in time for summer heat come June.

I didnt order the moss for the weizen... I just ordered it because I will need it in the coming weeks for all the other brews that I have. My starter is started and I have some pics of my final 3 tier design... I will post them shortly.

AS FOR MY DAYS OFF, the particular company that you are speaking of... well, if they want to take away my days off, they will be surprised when I still take the days off that I am entitled to. Next month I have 98 hours of flying, can you beleive that, REDICULOUS! Although I managed that with 16 days off, not HORRIBLE, but we should not be working 90+ hours a month, period.

Pol

seefresh said:
Dude, just brewed my 2nd hefeweizen (dunkel) in 2 weeks last night! I used WLP300 as well, man I love that yeast!

Just brewed a Hefe with WLP300. Went to keg yesterday. I agree, the yeast produces great banana and clove esters. Love it.

I'll be doing BierMunchers Belgian Wit(Blue Moon) on Sunday. I may just as well go ahead and brew his SWMBO Belgian Blond Slayer next week, while I have the WL400 in the primary and the other ingredients in the fridge!

I've got a California Common AG scheduled for sunday and a Hefe for sometime next week.

I'm trying something new - a starter which just took off today. Been brewing forever and just never tried it before.

Did a 10 gallon pale ale. 1/2 went to an IPA with 10 oz. mostly late addition Willamette hops (65 IBU's). The other half is an Amarillo pale with late addition Amarillos for 30 IBU's. I have 4 lbs grain left over and am thinking about a stovetop mash for a 3 gallon batch just for fun, maybe a chile beer or something. I've never mashed on the stovetop/oven.

Evets said:
I'll be doing BierMunchers Belgian Wit(Blue Moon) on Sunday. I may just as well go ahead and brew his SWMBO Belgian Blond Slayer next week, while I have the WL400 in the primary and the other ingredients in the fridge!
That's exactly what I did. The blonde turned out great.

That wit yeast will krausen high and stick to the walls of the primary so make sure to gently swirl it around to get it back into the beer, or your fermentation may slow down.

No brewing this weekend, have to float one first. Maybe I'll defrost the kegger. Since it sits near a floor drain all I have to do it toss the hops in the cooler and unplug it for a while. Then hose it out.

I like easy.

Edit: On a separate note, my Sunbeam has finally emerged, so I'm 8 for 8 on the hops.

BLOW OFF!! My Hugh Heffe is now 18 hours into the ferment and it is blowing off nicely, sitting in my chest freezer with the temp control at 68F.... Ahhh, peace of mind!

Pol

Back