Calculating bitterness in hopped LME and DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
Well, I'm at the point that my learning curve is a vertical line but I had to buy my ingredients before I had sufficient knowledge to work out a proper recipe. So I'm working with what I have.

I've been studying on hops and how to calculate bitterness in AA % and IBUs. I've got a very firm grip from reading 'How to Brew' by John Palmer. So I've got my packages of hops out and I looked each up to see how best to use them and then I had a look at my DME and LME. This is where the problem is.

I bought 4 1lb packs of Muntons Hopped Light Spraymalt and I have a can of Muntons Lager DME (from a kit. I threw away the instructions and the yeast as per Mr. Palmer) that is hopped as well. The DME has a bitterness of 30 - 42 EBC and the LME has a bitterness of 25 - 35 EBU.

I'm not familiar with the terms EBC and EBU. Are they the same as IBU? If so, would the bitterness be additive or averaged? I also have some LME that is not hopped, so I want to make a batch with that too but again I have to use the hopped DME.

So I need to calculate (read take a wild freaking guess) as to how much hops to add (and when) for the two batches. If anybody has any insight into EBC and EBU I'd be grateful for any help.

As far as I can tell EBU = IBU, with the change-over occurring around 1997.

EBC (color) and SRM don't map at all, because the standards use different light wavelengths.

So, your LME is hopped & your DME probably isn't. You would add the values.

The DME is definitely hopped. It's called 'Hopped Light Spraymalt' (Muntons) and it lists hops in the ingredients although not which kind. In the typical analysis section it has

Bitterness (EBC): 30-42

If this is the same as IBU and the bitterness is additive, then I'd be looking at bitterness around 55-72 if I used the hopped LME and this DME. That's assuming that using more than one bag of the DME won't increase the bitterness. In any case, that's an awful lot. I wouldn't want to be any higher than 40.

Here's a link to the product. Scroll down a bit for the hopped spraymalt.
http://www.muntons.com/mmi/products/dried_extract.asp

I have the light stuff.

Sorry about that, David. I mailed the company via the provided link and asked for access. I don't know if there is someone there tonight to take care of it so I may be out of luck. I'm hoping to start boiling tomorrow.

I suppose I've opened myself up for a bunch of beer spam now that they have my email address. Well, it could be worse. At least they won't be trying to convince me that I'm underperforming in certain areas and require chemical or mechanical assistance.

Back