First Go.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've read a few people saying their cider's are coming out too dry so I'm going for ale yeast so it doesn't ferment out too much.

What do you think?

I reckon my cider will be 1060 and should hopefully going to 1010 giving 7% ABV.
IS this the limit for beer yeast?

PICT0001.JPG

Fermenter.JPG

Ale yeasts in cider ferment out dry - 1.000 and below. It won't stop at 1.010. The sugars in cider are fully fermentable, and most ale yeasts can go up to 11% abv so expect a dry one Orfy unless you intervene with artificial sweetners or kill the yeast and back sweeten it.

Thanks......

Can I add malto dextrin?

If not what do you suggets I don't want to use camden tablets because I want to bottle conditiion or should I go for the camden and force carnonate?

I'd like to bottle it.

MD isn't very sweet. Camden, sorbate & force carbonation OR the lactose/splenda route.

I don't fancy killing my brew so I think I'll prime and add lactose or see if she likes it dry. I've heard splenda has an after taste.

Thanks for the help.

david 42

can you explain a little more about adding the lacotse? Do I need to boil it like I would with sugar before adding it? Should I add it in small increments or only add it when I am beginning bottling? Does lactose ferment?

Sorry for all the questions, I jsut haven't found one definitive source on cider sweetening and it sounds like you have experience

Ellie

Back