Will This Increase my PM Efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Gonna repost this from another thread...

I do PM's exclusively. My method consists of a stepped mash (133f for 30 mins, 149-155f for 45 mins, 158f for 10-20mins, bring to 167f, sparge w/ 170f water). The way I sparge is to use my pasta colander, which has holes just like a false bottom. It has handles on two sides, so I just put it into the top of a big plastic bucket and the handles keep it suspended at the top. I pour the first runnings, along with the grain, into the colander, stir it, press most of the liquid out with a big bowl. Then I pour batches of the sparge water into the grains, stir, press, repeat...until I get to my desire boil volume. Typically, I get clear runnings by the end.

My question is, do you think that I would get better efficiency if I were to pour the first runnings and the grain into the colander, press out all the liquid, return the grains to the mash tun, mix the sparge water in, and stir it for a minute or two before sending the whole mess through the colander again? My main concern about my current method is that the sparge water only passes through the grains, and doesn't get a whole lot of time sitting with them. Does it make any sense to add this step to my process? I'm not gonna buy any extra equipment until I decide to go AG, but it seems like this may be one way to increase efficiency slightly. What do you think?

I'm certain letting the grain sit on the sparge water will give you more efficiency. It takes time to dissolve things.

I had a post about that not long ago and I'm going to try doing the same thing, put the grains into the sparge water and sit for 10-15 minutes (same as you'd do a batch sparge on an all-grain batch) then pour the 'sparged wort' over the grain in the colander on the brew pot. I'm also going to increase my water/grain ratio for my mash slightly.

I'll let you know how it turns out, you should post your results as well, specifically how much, if any your efficiency goes up. Although it will be a while before I brew again, but when I brew I'll post. I'm guessing mid/late December.

For me, I haven't worried about it. The latest few batches I've done all PM described above and this technique has resulted in my best beers yet. Now long-term storage issues might be another issue, but none of the beers have lasted long enough to really give that test. The longest I've had some around is 4 months and still tastes great.

I'll eventually do all-grain but that likely won't happen for another year or two for lots of reasons. Until then this method has worked out nicely, I really like the beers and everyone else that drinks my beer says they think they've been my best beers. I'll purposely keep one around for like 9 months or a year and see if I notice anything.

I'm curious if anyone else who uses (used) the colander on the brew pot PM method has ever noticed any problems that they've been able to pin on HSA?

Back