American Pale Ale Chinook & Simcoe APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstrohs

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale
Yeast Starter
1.0 liter
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
37 IBU
Color
9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 64
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 70
Additional Fermentation
3 days cold crash
Tasting Notes
Aroma/taste are pine and citrus with a complementing malt and caramel sweetness
Grain Bill
5 lb 13 oz US 2-Row (2.0 L)
2 lb 11 oz UK Maris Otter (4.0 L)
2 lb German Munich (7.0 L)
6 oz Caramel 20 (20 L)
6 oz Caramel 85 (85 L)

Hop Schedule
0.50 oz Columbus [13.9%] @ FWH
0.50 oz Chinook [11.1%] @ 15 min
0.50 oz Chinook [11.1%] @ 5 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.0%] @ 1 min
1.00 oz Simcoe @ DH 7 days
0.50 oz Columbus @ DH 7 days

Water
Calcium 75 ppm
Magnesium 0 ppm
Sodium 18 ppm
Sulfate 111 ppm
Chloride 51 ppm

Mash

Single step infusion mash @ 153 for 60 min

Fermentation Schedule
7 days @ 64 then raise to 70 over the next 3 days; 7 days @ 70; cold crash for 3 days

Competition Results

2013 Happy Holiday Homebrew Competition - 1st in American Pale Ale out of 32 entries; 2nd in BOS out of 743 entries.

Enjoy!

I got my scoresheets back from the HHHC. Scored a 39 and 40.:ban:

20131224_224015.jpg

Nice work! Congrats on the hardware!

(love the dead quote signature too :rockin:)

Congrats on score. Do you know what they dinged you on? Of course if they said its perfect what's the point of improving.?

I'm trying to find a partial mash like this. Do you know the abv? Can I just substitute some base malt for LME?

Congrats on score. Do you know what they dinged you on? Of course if they said its perfect what's the point of improving.?

I'm trying to find a partial mash like this. Do you know the abv? Can I just substitute some base malt for LME?

The ABV is around 6.3%

You can substitute the base malt with any light colored D/LME.

Here are the judges' comments.

Judge 1 (39/50)
Aroma (10/12)
- Great hop aroma with a slight mild malt. Good citrus coming through.
Appearance (3/3)
- Great color. Good off white head. Very clear.
Flavor (14/20)
- Great hop and malt flavor. No off flavors. The balance is appropriate.
Mouthfeel (4/5)
- Solid body with good residual taste. Complete throughout from start to finish.
Overall Impression (8/10)
- Clean; refreshing beer. Only slight negative is that it might be a bit mild.

Judge 2 (40/50)
Aroma (8/12)
- Pleasant hoppy aroma. I get some malt in the background as well. I get some citrusy, piney characters in aroma. No flaws detected.
Appearance (3/3)
- Deep gold color, extremely clear, off-white head persists pretty well. Good looking beer.
Flavor (17/20)
- Very nice flavor balance between hops and malt. The hops are citrusy and pleasant, fresh and the malt has some complexity to add to the drink. Balance is perfect, finishes medium-dry. Makes you want to take another drink.
Mouthfeel (4/5)
- Medium body, medium carbonation.
Overall Impression (8/10)
- Excellent example of an APA! Thanks for sharing/entering it. If I had to nit-pick, maybe up the late hop additions a bit, but otherwise, great job!

Quick question by a beginner, does 1.00 oz Simcoe @ DH 7 days mean to dry hop for 7 days or add the dry hops on day 7? If the latter, then does this mean leave them in there for the duration of fermentation?

Quick question by a beginner, does 1.00 oz Simcoe @ DH 7 days mean to dry hop for 7 days or add the dry hops on day 7? If the latter, then does this mean leave them in there for the duration of fermentation?

For most APAs/IPAs I will typically ferment for 3-4 weeks and dry hop in the primary for the last week.

Looks great. Think ill give it a shot tomorrow. Might add more to the flameout addition and a short hopstand for a little hop boost. Thanks for sharing!

Looks great. Think ill give it a shot tomorrow. Might add more to the flameout addition and a short hopstand for a little hop boost. Thanks for sharing!

By hop stand do you mean letting the wort sit for a bit before cooling/transferring?

Just did my first batch today (NB Irish red extract 5 gal) and was bubbling in carboy after only 2 hrs :0) Thanks Wyeast yeast nutrient!!!

I think I will try this recipe next and do it BIAB. Probably just need to add an extra pound or two of base to make sure I hit my numbers.

By hop stand do you mean letting the wort sit for a bit before cooling/transferring?

Exactly. I just finished brewing this and added simcoe and chinook at flameout, cooled to ~170, let it steep for about 45 minutes, then cooled to pitching temp. I hit 70% efficiency so it should be about 5% ABV. I'll post results in a few weeks!

Exactly. I just finished brewing this and added simcoe and chinook at flameout, cooled to ~170, let it steep for about 45 minutes, then cooled to pitching temp. I hit 70% efficiency so it should be about 5% ABV. I'll post results in a few weeks!

Looking forward to your results!

So what was the complete hop schedule? I am brewing this again and will also up the late addition hops. I also am going to use Wyeast 1450.

Looking forward to your results!

So what was the complete hop schedule? I am brewing this again and will also up the late addition hops. I also am going to use Wyeast 1450.

I added some Mosaic to the mix and ended up using:

.5oz Columbus (FWH)
.5oz Mosaic (5)
1oz Chinook (flameout)
1oz Simcoe (flameout)
.5oz Columbus (7 days)
.5oz Mosaic (7 days)
1oz Simcoe (7 days)

I let the flameout additions steep at 180-140degF for 45 minutes before cooling to 63F and pitching a big S-05 slurry. Hoping the hopstand will add a nice hoppy punch to what looks like an already excellent pale.

I'm curious what your IBUs were? I calculated my flameout additions as 6 minutes to account for the isomerization and came up at about 40 IBU.

Thanks again for the recipe!

I added some Mosaic to the mix and ended up using:

.5oz Columbus (FWH)
.5oz Mosaic (5)
1oz Chinook (flameout)
1oz Simcoe (flameout)
.5oz Columbus (7 days)
.5oz Mosaic (7 days)
1oz Simcoe (7 days)

I let the flameout additions steep at 180-140degF for 45 minutes before cooling to 63F and pitching a big S-05 slurry. Hoping the hopstand will add a nice hoppy punch to what looks like an already excellent pale.

I'm curious what your IBUs were? I calculated my flameout additions as 6 minutes to account for the isomerization and came up at about 40 IBU.

Thanks again for the recipe!

37 calculated

What steps if any do you guys use to ward off contamination during a hop stand? Lid on kettle? Nice clean area/air? Voodoo war dance to scare them away :0)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

All of the above plus luck. I have been bad in the past about getting yeast in ASAP. Slow cooling or waiting alittle longer to cold crash my east. Hard to get a lid on with a wort chiller. If you're really worried some sanitized foil should fill the gap nicely. I always try to never let condensation to drop back in.

Just took a gravity reading and tasted a sample. Absolutely delicious after only 4 days of fermentation, and it's already down to 1.011. The simcoe/chinook/mosaic blend is awesome. I'll leave it another week and then transfer to a keg for dry hopping. Really looking forward to tapping this!

Going to the LHBS to pick up the ingredients today :0) will be my second brew ever and plan to go all grain BIAB method...might add an extra pound or two of 2 row to make sure I hit my number..freaking love this hobby!!

Just took a gravity reading and tasted a sample. Absolutely delicious after only 4 days of fermentation, and it's already down to 1.011. The simcoe/chinook/mosaic blend is awesome. I'll leave it another week and then transfer to a keg for dry hopping. Really looking forward to tapping this!

BassBeer, how did the beer turn out for you?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I just transfered this to secondary last Saturday and dry hopped yesterday. I sampled the extra on transfer and this is a great beer. Cant wait to bottle and get it carbed as my first all grain. Cheers to the OP!

Picked this one for today's brew day 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

BassBeer, how did the beer turn out for you?

Turned out very very nice! Mine is pretty hop forward with the mosaic hops and added hopstand, but still nicely balanced by the malt. At 5% abv it's extremely drinkable while still satisfying my need for a hop punch. The simcoe and chinook give it a little piney/peppery bite, while the mosaic hops bring a more tropical fruit flavor. Very nice beer overall!

I followed Bassbeer recipe tweek and just bottled today. This is my best brew yet and has an awesome hop aroma but still maintains that pale malty flavor I love. Now the hard part..waiting out the carb :0) cheers!

Hi everyone,

I would like to try this but i am not sure if i can keep the fermenter at the required temperature. I also could not find the FG and OG. Thanks

Hi everyone,

I would like to try this but i am not sure if i can keep the fermenter at the required temperature. I also could not find the FG and OG. Thanks

OG was 1.057 and shoot for low teens for the FG. If you keep the fermentation temps under 70 you will be good.

Fermentation Schedule
7 days @ 64 then raise to 70 over the next 3 days; 7 days @ 70; cold crash for 3 days

At what point in the fermentation schedule do you dry hop? Or did you dry hop it in the Keg? Also, did you ever rack to a secondary?

At what point in the fermentation schedule do you dry hop? Or did you dry hop it in the Keg? Also, did you ever rack to a secondary?

Total time in the primary is around 21 days and I will typically dry hop the last 7 days of primary. It is not necessary to secondary this beer. You will be fine with adding hops directly to the primary.

Hi again,

It is in the fermenter for 5 days. I have two questions. Do i need to cold crash before secondary and dry hoping? How can i prevent the oxygen input during cold crash? Is it so important?

Thanks in advance

Erol

Hi again,

It is in the fermenter for 5 days. I have two questions. Do i need to cold crash before secondary and dry hoping? How can i prevent the oxygen input during cold crash? Is it so important?

Thanks in advance

Erol

Hi Erol, a couple of things. One of the most important things is to ensure that the fermentation is complete before transferring off of the primary. For a pale ale, I typically don't check the FG until at least two weeks into fermentation. One good practice is to check your gravity reading 3 days in a row and if the readings don't change then fermentation is complete (barring a possible stuck fermentation).

After 2 weeks and you have determined complete fermentation, add the dry hops to the primary (there is absolutely no reason to secondary this beer). Keep the hops in for 7 days and cold crash the last 3 days of the 7. It is not a must to cold crash but I will do this to drop the yeast and hop particles.

In regards to oxidation during cold crashing, this should not be an issue. Since you are not moving from the primary, you will have a layer of CO2 over the beer. When I cold crash, I switch my 3 piece airlock to an "S" type airlock to prevent suck back. Not really sure if that was your concern about oxidation during cold crashing?

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

Doesn't look like my LHBS has any Simcoe in stock and not sure if they carry them at all, anybody have a good substitute for it? I read there really isn't one, but anybody know of a hop that goes well with Columbus/Chinook based on it's characteristics? Or should I just stick my nose in some hops ala Jim Koch and decide there? :)

Working through my second case of bottles of this amazing brew..recipe was spot on and love the hoppy goodness this offers. Looks like a re-brew will be needed soon and this will become a household staple :0) cheers!!

Back