Welch's Grape Juice Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got around to this today.
9 cans white grape
3 cans white grape/peach
7 lbs white table sugar
3 tsp acid blend
2 tsp yeast energizer
3 tsp pectin enzyme
5/8 tsp tannin
Filled water to five gallons

In 24 hours I'll pitch LALVIN-1118 Champange yeast
Will fix the air lock then

OG = 1.100

In three weeks or so I will add 1lb of chopped white raisins after soaking them a few days in some vodka.

A couple weeks after that I"ll yank the bag of raisins, rack to another bucket then add Sparkelloid and cold crash for several days prior to bottling.

The original bucket should have a lovely cake of yeast to start a five gallon batch of Skeeter Pee on. The Skeeter Pee is the true reason for this batch of sweet yellow wine.

More to come

AL
A.k.a. Sevenal

I made this with a few other variables.
1 gal batch
1 can apple juice concentrate
1 can welch white grape juice
1 64oz jug of 100% white grape juice.
Let the mix sit in the carboy over night then topped off with sugar water and yeast nutrient to 1.090 OG
Let it sit again then added Vintners Harvest cy 17 yeast.
Originally wanted a dryer finishing yeast, but opted for this instead.

ForumRunner_20130828_150144.jpg

Once fermentation slows, make sure you top off to the narrowest part of the jug.

I like this wine- it's quick and easy and while it's not "fine wine", it tastes pretty darn good!

Yooper,

A lot of the recipes you post appear to be copied verbatim from websites (like Jack Keller's) or books.

In the recipe you should give credit to the original author.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques65.asp

A couple of them come from Jack Keller, and they have credit to him and his website on the recipes. Some of them are my own. Some are a mix of my own, a few friend's, and years of experience.

This one was my own- and I've been making it exactly this way for more than 20 years. The technique is pure Jack's, though, and he should have been credited with the "napkin" part.

Hi Yooper, thanks for the recipe. I just started my first gallon and I have one question. In my winemaking recipe book for concentrates it says to put in one crushed Campden tablet 24 hours before the yeast. I was wondering why you skip the Campden in your recipe; is it not necessary for Welch's frozen concentrate? I read a post of yours where you said "Campden kills wild yeast, bacteria, fungi, etc." so I wasn't sure why you don't need it for this recipe. Thank you!

Hi Yooper, thanks for the recipe. I just started my first gallon and I have one question. In my winemaking recipe book for concentrates it says to put in one crushed Campden tablet 24 hours before the yeast. I was wondering why you skip the Campden in your recipe; is it not necessary for Welch's frozen concentrate? I read a post of yours where you said "Campden kills wild yeast, bacteria, fungi, etc." so I wasn't sure why you don't need it for this recipe. Thank you!

The frozen concentrate doesn't need sulfites- it won't hurt to add it but it's not necessary. Some of them already have sulfites in them, so check the package!

A couple of them come from Jack Keller, and they have credit to him and his website on the recipes. Some of them are my own. Some are a mix of my own, a few friend's, and years of experience.

This one was my own- and I've been making it exactly this way for more than 20 years. The technique is pure Jack's, though, and he should have been credited with the "napkin" part.

You walk a fine line.

Not everyone is easily fooled.

The frozen concentrate doesn't need sulfites- it won't hurt to add it but it's not necessary. Some of them already have sulfites in them, so check the package!

Wow fast response.

I used this one- http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/s...play?productId=355396&storeId=10052&langId=-1

Doesn't appear to have sulfites unless there's another name for it, but even without it, what's the reasoning behind not needing Campden tablets for frozen concentrates? Is it really only necessary when making wine with fresh grapes/fruits? Thank you

Wow fast response.

I used this one- http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/s...play?productId=355396&storeId=10052&langId=-1

Doesn't appear to have sulfites unless there's another name for it, but even without it, what's the reasoning behind not needing Campden tablets for frozen concentrates? Is it really only necessary when making wine with fresh grapes/fruits? Thank you

When I use frozen juices, I thaw and add the pectic enzyme, and add the yeast 12 hours later. This has worked for me- but it's not wrong to add campden (sulfite) if you want to be extra sure.

If you do use the campden, wait 12 hours before adding the pectic enzyme, and then another 12 hours before adding your rehydrated yeast strain.

When I use frozen juices, I thaw and add the pectic enzyme, and add the yeast 12 hours later. This has worked for me- but it's not wrong to add campden (sulfite) if you want to be extra sure.

If you do use the campden, wait 12 hours before adding the pectic enzyme, and then another 12 hours before adding your rehydrated yeast strain.

Okay, I just wasn't sure if it was possible to get sick from bacteria if I don't put in Campden. I'll skip the Campden on my next gallon though. Thanks for the info, and I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Oh one more question, should I use the entire pack of yeast? Seems like a lot since mine(RedStar wine yeast) says you can use it for up to 5 gallons.

Okay, I just wasn't sure if it was possible to get sick from bacteria if I don't put in Campden. I'll skip the Campden on my next gallon though. Thanks for the info, and I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Oh one more question, should I use the entire pack of yeast? Seems like a lot since mine(RedStar wine yeast) says you can use it for up to 5 gallons.

Yes, the instructions say something like "for 1-6 gallons". I'd go ahead and use the whole package, as you can't really save it more than a week or so once it's been opened.

Since I already added Campden in the beginning, if I need to backsweeten it at the end, will I need to add another Campden with the sorbate?

It took 5 months (from when it was made), but the harsh bite of the Montrachet I used with my cranberry juice - grape concentrate mixture has finally and completely mellowed.

This is a very nice 10% table wine.

You walk a fine line.

Not everyone is easily fooled.

A recipe is a recipe man, doesn't matter who made it. Theres no copyrights involved or any of that crap. I cook for a living and make recipes daily and people use those and don't give me credit and guess what, "I don't give a flying floc!" Recipes are meant to be shared and used by everyone no matter where it came from.

A recipe is a recipe man, doesn't matter who made it. Theres no copyrights involved or any of that crap. I cook for a living and make recipes daily and people use those and don't give me credit and guess what, "I don't give a flying floc!" Recipes are meant to be shared and used by everyone no matter where it came from.

Fortunately, I wasn't referring to the recipe! ;)

I have a batch of this going now. How long do most of you wait to rack? I assume one month then rack then another month is good enough?

I racked this today and the raisins made it a little sweet. After soaking the raisins in Vodka for a few days I added them to the fermenting wine. It finished after five weeks at 1.026 or 9.5% ish. I stabilized with Sorbate and Meta and added Sparkolloid that had been dissolved in a couple cups of boiling water then cooled. The wine is in the refrigerator now for a week, then I will rack and bottle for next weeks anniversary party.

I have 2 five gallon gallon batches going, racked after 6 weeks and man is it dry. How and when do I fix this. I want it sweet. These are my first 2 batches ever. TIA

I have 2 five gallon gallon batches going, racked after 6 weeks and man is it dry. How and when do I fix this. I want it sweet. These are my first 2 batches ever. TIA

Stabilize with campden and sorbate, once it's clear and no longer dropping lees, by racking onto the proper "dosage". Then three days later, add the sweetener of your choice. Wait three days, and then bottle.

I made a 1 gallon batch to the letter so I'm hoping it turns out great. I pitched 3 weeks ago and fit an airlock (on the same gallon carboy that it started in) after 4 days. Would I be okay to rack to another carboy now? I haven't touched it in 3 weeks so I haven't checked the SG on it since I pitched.

I made a 1 gallon batch to the letter so I'm hoping it turns out great. I pitched 3 weeks ago and fit an airlock (on the same gallon carboy that it started in) after 4 days. Would I be okay to rack to another carboy now? I haven't touched it in 3 weeks so I haven't checked the SG on it since I pitched.

If you have a lot of lees, you could rack now and top up and you should be good.

Just top up with water I assume? My SG was 1.10 which seems a little high. I'll check the SG again this weekend and take it from there.

Hi I have this going now

6 Cans (11.5) Welch's Concord Grape Concentrate
12 cups Sugar ( completely dissolved in some of the reserved water)
Red Star Pastuer Red yeast
and water to hit the 5 gallon mark.
Gravity @ 1.074
I added nothing else and it has been bubbling away in the 6 gal Better bottle for 2 days now.

My question is this has anyone else tried this recipe? I found it on YT and thought I would give it a try.

Hi I have this going now

6 Cans (11.5) Welch's Concord Grape Concentrate
12 cups Sugar ( completely dissolved in some of the reserved water)
Red Star Pastuer Red yeast
and water to hit the 5 gallon mark.
Gravity @ 1.074
I added nothing else and it has been bubbling away in the 6 gal Better bottle for 2 days now.

My question is this has anyone else tried this recipe? I found it on YT and thought I would give it a try.

how many gallons is this for? if it's for 6 gallons it'll probably be alittle weak on the grape flavor, i've used the 2 can per gallon, followed by about 3 cans at backsweetening time.

I just racked after 5 weeks in primary. Should I add K-Meta and Sorbate if I plan on leaving it another few weeks?

I just racked after 5 weeks in primary. Should I add K-Meta and Sorbate if I plan on leaving it another few weeks?

If you're going to sweeten it, you'll need sorbate. If you're not going to sweeten, you don't need sorbate at all. Campden is ok to add at bottling, if you're hoping to age it a bit.

I started out experimenting by making hard cider from bottled apple juice
and Yesterday I started to make wine using Welch's grape juice..

I put in 3 cups of sugar and I used regular bred yeast and two tea spoons of
a rasin puree for feeding the yeast.

I want to make a sparkling wine, but I am not sure of how long to let this batch
ferment before clarifying it then racking it the first time and after the first rack how soon before I bottle it and add the finishing tablets..

Below are link's of two pics of my hydrometer readings with out and with sugar and a video of the airlock.

Thanks for looking and any input

Without Sugar

With Sugar

Video Link
I left enough head space in the jug to keep the foam from pushing out thru the air lock, this is day 2 and the airlock is still clean

I just bottled my 1 gallon batch yesterday. I didn't sweeten it and it's been in the carboy for almost 2 months. Its young and a little sour but I can see it being pretty damn good in a couple months.

P.S.
I have been reading some of the past posts on this but I have to admit that most of the jargon used is
a totally different language to me and I do not know what the frack any body is talking about. :eek:
I understand the word racking however everything else seems to be totally alien to me.

Now this is my second attempt at making wine.
The 1st time I used welches white grape
1 gallon of juice
3 cups of white sugar
1 packet red star bread yeast
and about 2 table spoons of home made yeast nutrient (which was a raisin puree)
kitchen temp was around 71 to 72 degrees
I mixed it all together and within in 1 to 2 hours fermentation started
Now here is where I may have made a mistake
I let the mixture set for 2 weeks (had hardly any movement in the air lock by then)
before I racked it into another jug, now once I racked it I added a clarifier to it
capped it and let it sit another week before bottling it.
When I bottled it I added the conditioning tablets and let it set for another week
but when I opened one I had no hint of sparkling wine
(since the conditioning tablets did not work I know I did something wrong)
but it did not taste bad
and it did have a small kick to it.
( I did not have a hydrometer at the time so I do not know what the alcohol content was)

So I guess what I need is some sort of a time line on how to proceed from
the time fermentation starts to the first racking, to clarifier then to
conditioning and bottling.

Thanks in advance for looking and any help or suggestions you may have.

P.S.
I have been reading some of the past posts on this but I have to admit that most of the jargon used is
a totally different language to me and I do not know what the frack any body is talking about. :eek:
I understand the word racking however everything else seems to be totally alien to me.

Now this is my second attempt at making wine.
The 1st time I used welches white grape
1 gallon of juice
3 cups of white sugar
1 packet red star bread yeast
and about 2 table spoons of home made yeast nutrient (which was a raisin puree)
kitchen temp was around 71 to 72 degrees
I mixed it all together and within in 1 to 2 hours fermentation started
Now here is where I may have made a mistake
I let the mixture set for 2 weeks (had hardly any movement in the air lock by then)
before I racked it into another jug, now once I racked it I added a clarifier to it
capped it and let it sit another week before bottling it.
When I bottled it I added the conditioning tablets and let it set for another week
but when I opened one I had no hint of sparkling wine
(since the conditioning tablets did not work I know I did something wrong)
but it did not taste bad
and it did have a small kick to it.
( I did not have a hydrometer at the time so I do not know what the alcohol content was)

So I guess what I need is some sort of a time line on how to proceed from
the time fermentation starts to the first racking, to clarifier then to
conditioning and bottling.

Thanks in advance for looking and any help or suggestions you may have.

Bread yeast isn't as attenuative as wine yeast. That means that the yeast is all done more quickly than if you used wine yeast. In other words, the reason it didn't carb up could very well be that the bread yeast had reached it's tolerance, and couldn't ferment the conditioning tablets.

I'm not sure what "conditioning tablets" are, so I'm assuming that they are priming sugar tablets.

The timeline is pretty well laid out in the recipe. I don't think I can be more specific than that.

Back