Brewpub food menu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sausage stuffed hot peppers (banana peppers, hungarian hot wax).
Cook the sausage and clean out the inside of the pepper. Throw the sausage in the pepper and coat with olive oil. Bake and add salt.

Incredible appetizer and I would imagine pretty cheap to make too.

There's a Sanoran version with the long hot peppers stuffed with cheese,breaded & fried. Those always looked good. but the traditional pickled hot sausages & eggs in the older bars were always good. They used to keep big glass jugs of them on the back of the bar. Great to munch on with a cold beer after work. I used to go to an old bar across from Cleveland Hopkins called "The La Conga" that was taken over from the original owner by the time Ford up the street hired me. It was to the right of the old Brown Derby steak house. It was my favorite bar on the way home from work,wasn't directly across from the plants,so it wasn't watched by the cops so much. The older guys went there mostly....until I found it. Great grilled burgers on a Keyser roll for $1.50. We used to get bags of them to take home for dinner.

I can remember going to the bar with my uncle. I thought it was soooooo cool to hang out with the guys & drink soda while they drank beer. They'd talk about hunting, fishing & politics and I'd listen & watch people while swinging my legs off the edge of the chair. I was only 5, but those men didn't talk down to me, they treated me like one of them & I did feel like one of the guys. So from early in my life, guys who loved beer & good conversation had a positive influence in my life. And now, nearly 45 years later I'm making my own beer & "hanging out" online with all of you. Life is good. Thanks HBT!
Regards, GF. :mug:

Same thing here gratus. Musta been an unwritten tradition with us males to do so?:mug: I remember goin to them old school redneck dewdrop inn sorta places with my dad & uncles. Including my aunt "Charlie". They'd drink beer,I had my Coke,pepsi,gingerale,whatever. Then I started stealin drinks of their beers. It was cool to be around them,listenin to real life stories & such. Far more interesting than hangin with the other kids.

There's a place here in Southern Indiana called Buckheads Mountain Grille, they have a good selection of beer on tap, and a dish called Cheese Boulders. They are similar to a hushpuppy, but have melty, somewhat spicy cheese inside them.....absolutely incredible! It's kind of a blend of cheddar, cream cheese, and maybe riccotta, fried crispy, and served with marinara.

Damn, I think I might have to head over there tonight!

That reminds me of my favorite party appetizer. Sausage cheese balls. yum.

What about the former simple bar staples like a bowl of peanuts (probably not allowed anymore because people are allergic to food), or pretzels. I am still a sucker for a basket of fries, maybe garlic fries, possibly adding cheese, and the homemade ranch dipping sauce if you really wanna be fancy.

I am strange though. When I am drinking, I do not eat. When I am eating, my beer/whatever goes untouched until I am finished.

Got to add sliders. Just something about several small burgers, about 3" in diameter, stacked high with trimmings that makes you want them. And the classic club sandwich with either fries or slaw & a big dill pickle.

I wish some bars around here would start offering fried pickles. You just don't see them out here.

We have a German place that does fried pickles and awesome pretzels (proper pretzels that get the lye bath before being cooked). Now, I need a brew pub that does fried okra...I can only get that from the local fried chicken joint.

Sausage stuffed hot peppers (banana peppers, hungarian hot wax).
Cook the sausage and clean out the inside of the pepper. Throw the sausage in the pepper and coat with olive oil. Bake and add salt.

Incredible appetizer and I would imagine pretty cheap to make too.

I'm imagining adding some cream cheese and a little green onion to this filling :)

I'm imagining adding some cream cheese and a little green onion to this filling :)

I'd imagine that'd be great...maybe even a bit of blu cheese to go with the spiciness of the pepper.

All of the sudden my lunch doesn't seem all that impressive :(

Pretzel dogs? Basicly pretzel dough wrapped around polish sausage (or any smoked sausage)...
We make them at home with a sourdough pretzel base and they are awesome.

That sounds soooo tasty! I'm going to have to give this a try! Care to share your dough recipe?

That sounds soooo tasty! I'm going to have to give this a try! Care to share your dough recipe?

When i'm making dough it tends to be close to sticky. Have you worked with sourdough before? I'll use 1C of flour and 1C of water (volume) to that I add about 1/2 C of well fed starter. Mix well and let rest at room temperature overnight.
Next morning I add 1 cup of Bobs Red Mill 12 grain cereal and enough flour and water (Sorry i usually don't use a recipe) to bulk up the dough to the volume that I'm aiming for. I also add a palmfull of salt and a healthy dose of olive oil here. Instead of the BRM cereal you can use spent grains esp if it's from a brew with wheat/rye/oats.
add the dough to a well oiled bowl and let rest covered for an hour. Then every hour for a few hours fold the dough twice (i've found this helps with texture... you know, gluten and all...)

Does this help?

I hate going to a brew pub and they decide to serve pretentious culinary food. At a pub, I want pub food. The smothered fries, pretzels, chicken wings/tenders, burgers, pizza. Stuff like that. Anything that has a 'presentation'....should not be there. At least, that's what I want.

For the most part I agree with you. At very least offer some fat guy finger foods.

I'm a wings kinda guy. With a good beer a good teriyaki type sauced wing is heaven!!

When i'm making dough it tends to be close to sticky. Have you worked with sourdough before? I'll use 1C of flour and 1C of water (volume) to that I add about 1/2 C of well fed starter. Mix well and let rest at room temperature overnight.
Next morning I add 1 cup of Bobs Red Mill 12 grain cereal and enough flour and water (Sorry i usually don't use a recipe) to bulk up the dough to the volume that I'm aiming for. I also add a palmfull of salt and a healthy dose of olive oil here. Instead of the BRM cereal you can use spent grains esp if it's from a brew with wheat/rye/oats.
add the dough to a well oiled bowl and let rest covered for an hour. Then every hour for a few hours fold the dough twice (i've found this helps with texture... you know, gluten and all...)

Does this help?

Wow! Sounds like we kinda cook alike, I rarely measure anything (except in my hand) & usually just eyeball it & use my nose to tell me when it's enough of something. I'm a n00b when it comes to sourdough; I've made pancakes & waffles from a mix & from scratch and helped with bread a time or two, but that's about it. I'll have to save this for a day off so I can devote some time & attention to it. Thanks for sharing your "recipe"/method, it really does sound tasty & would be a hit at my house if I can do it correctly. We all love brats & polskas as well as sourdough and this will be a novel way of enjoying both; my niece & nephew will love 'em.

I have some Hungarian wax peppers that I stuff with sour kraut and then pickle. They are a great drinking food.

Why is it that every place that does nachos stacks the chips so high and piles everything else on the topmost layer of chips.

If I make them at home, I make absolutely sure every layer of chips gets a little of everything. And bake 'em, don't microwave them! Incredible difference!

Also, I agree with whoever said stuffed peppers. Some hot sausage and hot cheese mixed together and baked inside a pepper with some oil over it. /Drool!

I have developed a taste for salmon jerky and IPAs. the Salmon Jerky is kind of salty, smokey and even sometimes a little fishy but it sure goes down good with IPA.

I like all of the non healthy suggestions here. I'm going to have to try Melana's Sourdough Pretzel Dog. I got some Jalapeno Bear Sausage I want to put in that.

GF, your bucket of steamed seafood is good but I think, the same items fresh off the grill, just long enough to catch a little smoky flavor!

i had typed up a how to in the "poppers" thread about the style poppers we make at my house, usually get devoured far too fast for what goes into them.

think your traditional bacon wrapped jalopenos; except we cook the sausage with cabbage in beer and throw in dubliner cheese instead of cream cheese for a richer taste..

Interesting flavour combinations. Don't think I've ever tried Gorganzola cheese before, this gives me a reason to. :)
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back