Can someone critique my very first krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric_618

Reaction score
I'm totally new at this, and just put brewed my first batch of an Irish Red Ale a few nights ago (Wednesday). It made it to the primary at around 9:00 that night, so it hasn't quite been 48 hours yet. I've seen no airlock activity yet. I wouldn't normally be concerned so quickly, but I had an infection issue where I dropped one of the bottles of spring water into the fermenter as I was adding water before the wort. Yes, I am a butterfingered idiot. :(

Does this look good to you guys? I'm trying to train my eye to know what to look for in future brews

Thanks!!!

ForumRunner_20130215_185354.jpg

Looks like a bunch of hop gunk/trub and the last of the krausen to me. You probably weren't seeing any airlock activity because there may have been an incomplete seal with the lid itself. No worries, since co2 was being produced the leak was forcing co2 out and nothing should have gotten in. Give it a good smell, taste it if you want (with a sanitized method) do not return the sample to the bucket, put the lid back on and make sure to get a good seal. Then let it run its course.

Looks like a bunch of hop gunk/trub and the last of the krausen to me. You probably weren't seeing any airlock activity because there may have been an incomplete seal with the lid itself. No worries, since co2 was being produced the leak was forcing co2 out and nothing should have gotten in. Give it a good smell, taste it if you want (with a sanitized method) do not return the sample to the bucket, put the lid back on and make sure to get a good seal. Then let it run its course.

Thanks for the quick reply! Would I see the krausen fade away so quick (less than 48 hours)?

It smells okay. I'm assuming it should taste like it smells?

Thanks again...

Would I see the krausen fade away so quick (less than 48 hours)?

I have a batch finishing up right now that did. I'm not concerned. I pitched with rehydrated Windsor. That stuff is notorious for taking off fast and having a short period of visibly active fermentation.
It smells okay. I'm assuming it should taste like it smells?

Thanks again...

At this stage, don't bother tasting it. Leave it alone for a few weeks so the yeast can do their thing in peace.

agreed. some of my primaries will be done in about 36 hours. All just depends on the yeast, the wort, the temps etc...
If it smells good, it probably is good.

You are good, it looks like. Relax and have a beer...I believe that your beer will be just fine.

Here's an update. What do you guys think? I was planning on racking to secondary, but the more I read (along with how clear it looks in there) I think I'm going to leave it in the primary till bottling time...

ForumRunner_20130218_174126.jpg

Yeesh. That's the worst looking beer I've ever seen. You expect people to drink that stuff? What's WRONG with you?

Just kidding. It's fine. Yeah. You should leave it in primary until bottling.

DUDE, looks like you made beer! Patience, leave alone and you'll like it, I guarantee it. Of course if you don't like it send me the leftovers, I'll make sure it gets disposed of properly. ;)

I feel like the proud husband whose wife just got pregnant! I'ma be a beer father! :D

Thanks guys!!!

eric_618 said:
I feel like the proud husband whose wife just got pregnant! I'ma be a beer father! :D

Thanks guys!!!

Just wait till you crack the first bottle. Nothing like hearing that first pfssst of your first beer. Cheers!

Back