Stuck Fermentation with Wyeast 9097?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amccormi

Reaction score
I brewed a barleywine with Wyeast 9097 four weeks ago and today moved it to the secondary. The OG was 1.115 and today it was at 1.050. It initially was fermenting at around 67F for the first two weeks then I had to go away for about a week. When I returned it had dropped to 57F. I gave it another week at 67F (all temps according to stick on side thermometer).

The fermentation was vigorous, I made a starter that yielded a solid 1 cup of yeast slurry, and I did my normal aeration routine of pouring into the fermenter trough a mesh strainer and then shaking vigorously for a few minutes. The fermentation was going strong within 6 hours. The mash temp was at 151F.

The target FG for this recipe is between 1.025 and 1.030, but 20 points seems like a long way for it to fall in the secondary. Is this usual for a brett beer? Is this a stuck fermentation? If so will the racking stimulate the yeast enough to complete the fermentation or should I repitch?

I have never been in this situation before (big beer, brett, stuck fermentation) so I appreciate your input.

I'm in the same situation, two years later. After three weeks, my gravity is at 1.038. I've been holding at about 62-64 degrees but have now brought it upstairs where it's closer to a constant 68-70, hoping to re-start fermentation.

I'm curious if you did anything to get this going (temp increase, re-pitch) and how it turned out.

Back