weird fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bu11dog13795

Reaction score
So my beer has been in the primary for 3 days now and does not have a yeast cake at the bottom... it is fermenting strong and i have noticed that it is coming out the blow of the blow off tube and sedimenting in the bottom of my blow off bowl. Its creamy silky and smells like yeast. Is there reason for concern?

Sounds like fermentation. No cause for concern. Just swap out the blowoff tube for a sanitized airlock when things calm down. You don't have a yeast cake because the yeast are going nuts eating up all the fermentables. You will get a yeast cake when things slow down.

What was your OG?

I have been brewing for 3 years and have never had a fermentation that was like this. Was concerned but now at ease. Thanks for the insight

Lol new york i know its out of season i had intended on doing it during summer but got super busy and slacked off on brewing. So i had the stuff and decided to brew it. I love summer ale and i tell my wife i run hot anyways so why not. It wont last long. Will be gone before winter.oktoberfest, and pumpkin ale are next. Will be doing them next week. Then im going to do a Bavarian Hefewiezen.

I've got a batch with US-5 fermenting. It started to percolating after about 20 hours and is still thumping now and then on day 18. I've never seen it go this long, usually 3 to 5 days is what I would expect. Any issues?

Not sure i know that old yeast or unhealthy yeast will ferment at a slower less productive rate than healthy fresh yeast. However im hardly an expert. I would take a gravity read and see where it's at if fermenting is still needed to be done maybe pitch some more. Also my beers fermentation has slowed frothy yeast foam has settled and it now smells like delicious beer

Back