Kegerator - Converted Chest Freezer (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atl300zx

Reaction score
I finally got my kegerator together.

I went with the Love panel mounted temperature controller.

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=9352000

it required a little bit of wiring but i think the final product speaks for itself. i used the Ventmatic stainless forward sealing faucets and some handles from taphandles.com. i made up some labels for my beers and taped them on with double sided tape.

i can really only fit 2 cornies and the 10lb co2 tank in there. this is an 8.8CF GE freezer if anyone is wondering. i bought a wunderbar pre-mix soda gun. i plan on adding it to the right side and adapt it to work with 2L bottles using the method described in this link.

http://home.chattanooga.net/~cdp/3lkeg/3lkeg.htm

Comments are appreciated.

kegerator1.JPG

kegerator2.JPG

kegerator3.JPG

kegerator4.JPG

Looks nice. I am thinking about getting a panel mounted temp controller for my recently converted 7 cu ft freezer. Do you like that one?

I love the love controller. I use it in my 10 cu. ft. chest freezer for fermenting beer at proper temps. I use painters tape to put the sensor right on the bucket. It does a great job at 68 degrees for 10 days, then I crank it down to 39 for crash cooling.

Great job on mounting it in the collar. Looks cool!

4569-FreezerFermenter.jpg

Beerrific said:
Looks nice. I am thinking about getting a panel mounted temp controller for my recently converted 7 cu ft freezer. Do you like that one?

The unit is nice and compact. The instructions it came with were a little on the sparse side, but once i figured out how to wire it and program it, i couldnt be happier.

Good job! I really like that temp controller, that's the first I'd seen one.

I like that a lot. I will be keeping my eye out of another freezer just like that for my bar and keep the 4 on tap in the garage. :rockin:

Could EdWort or Atl300zx describe how they used the Love TS controllers?

I have these in use on my brewstand and understand the concept of using it as a switch to open/close the circuit to remove/provide power to the end device.

Is that how you use it in this case? As an interrupt to the main power supply or did you tap into just the hot feed to the compressor?

Details and or pics would be greatly appreciated. I just picked up a MagicChef 7.2 CF and ordered the Love TS Controller. Ill be assembling this weekend. Thanks.

Warren

Just curious, but how are you people getting so little in your chestegerators?

Here's mine, a 14.8 cf Whirlpool:
IMG_2403_resize.jpg

And I could get 10 cornies in there if one was a 3 gallon. It just seems that a chest bigger than half the size of the one I got should hold more, no?

But unlike me, yours is done. And looks very good. I've bitten off more than I can chew, so the going is slow. :(
-keith

Is this teh controlle everyone is using? The TS 13010? Just picked up my chest freezer and am about to order a controller this weekend or next week.

The way this is wired up will it cut all power on and off to the freezer?

I'm just asking because if you have a frost free freezer the defrost will not work and the light also will not work.

I want to wire my freezer so I by pass the existing thermostat so only the compressor comes off and on and the freezer still has Power going to the light and defroster.

thanks, currently i have it turned up to 64F and am fermenting in it (An ale version of an Oktoberfest and an IPA). All 6 of my kegs are empty and with it being 78F in my house, i had to do something. Good thing i have several hundred bottles still...phew

The way this is wired up will it cut all power on and off to the freezer?

I'm just asking because if you have a frost free freezer the defrost will not work and the light also will not work.

I want to wire my freezer so I by pass the existing thermostat so only the compressor comes off and on and the freezer still has Power going to the light and defroster.

+1. This is what I would prefer doing as well, Not just cutting all power.

You should be able to basically take the thermostat in schematic of the freezer, Pull it out, and replace with the switch from the love controller. I'm know if you posted your fridges schematic people on here would have your solution within an hour!

Back