Another newbie question. This time about heating elements.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firstRWD

Reaction score
Do I need to look for anything specific? I have an acquaintance that works in the industry(replaces boilers, furnaces, water heaters, etc) and I'm thinking I could ask him to keep an eye out for something in the 3500-5000W range for me out of an old water heater or something and get a heating element for free. Then I could use the plug for my stove and build a control panel to brew without the propane. Will that work or is this idea a no go?

I'm young, poor, and live in an apartment, so I'm trying to go electric for as cheap as possible...

A normal element would only cost you in the $10-$30 range. Any type of control panel will setup back a few hundred bucks. Look at the Higher Gravity products if that's the way you want to go.

I would look for an ULWD (ultra-low-watt-density) heating element like the Camco 5500W that most of us use. Of the benefits is that if you turn it on by mistake when it's not in water or wort, you won't fry it.

Kal

PWM $13
SSR W/ Heatsink $17
Camco ULWD 5500watt Element $25
TOTAL $55

Cheap Electric Brewing $Priceless

OK, what does PMW stand for? You can't search for it because it's too short and the search function refuses the term. I've found that term in several places now, but no one uses whatever it stands for so I never figured out what it is. Judging from what you said, yjfun, it looks like it would take the place of the control panel, but only cost $13?

EDIT: Oops. That explains why I got no results searching around for PMW...

Do I need to look for anything specific? I have an acquaintance that works in the industry(replaces boilers, furnaces, water heaters, etc) and I'm thinking I could ask him to keep an eye out for something in the 3500-5000W range for me out of an old water heater or something and get a heating element for free. Then I could use the plug for my stove and build a control panel to brew without the propane. Will that work or is this idea a no go?

I'm young, poor, and live in an apartment, so I'm trying to go electric for as cheap as possible...

I picked up my element 5500W ULWD at Farm and Fleet ( or Fleet and farm) for $23. You should have one in or near Madison.

OK, what does PMW stand for? You can't search for it because it's too short and the search function refuses the term. I've found that term in several places now, but no one uses whatever it stands for so I never figured out what it is. Judging from what you said, yjfun, it looks like it would take the place of the control panel, but only cost $13?

EDIT: Oops. That explains why I got no results searching around for PMW...

PWM = Pulse Width Modulation.

The circuit switched on and off and you vary the percent on, usually with a variable resistor or potentiometer.

So looking at the Camco ULWD 5500watt heating element they have on Amazon, it says it's a 14". Is that just the heating element part or the whole thing? I'm going to be using a keg(keggle) and just want to make sure that's not gonna be too long for my brew pot before I order one.

Thanks. I just didn't know if it mattered if it was within a couple inches of hitting the other side of the brew pot. I guess thinking about it more, it'll probably be up to full heat on the side it enters from within a couple inches, so yeah, I guess I was just over thinking/worrying. Dumb noobs. :p

Back