Saflager W34/70 suggestion and reusing lager yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmhart

Reaction score
So....

Brewed my first lager about two months ago, and it's getting close to time to bottle. I have two questions:

1)Given 2 months of lagering, I'm assuming the yeast cake is still viable to reuse for another lager much as we all do with ale yeast. Am I correct?

2)Saflager W34/70: I just brewed a Dunkel Rauchbier....what other style would you recommend for the yeast. Obviously a hefe, but I'm not really in the mood for that. Ideas?

I just used that yeast to make a maibock, then used the lagered yeast cake to make a steam beer (california common) which is finishing up in primary right now.

My concern about pitching onto your yeast cake is that rauchbier. That smokey flavor will probably carry into the next beer. I'm thinking something with some coffee and roast flavors that will meld with that. Perhaps a schwarzbier?

I just used that yeast to make a maibock, then used the lagered yeast cake to make a steam beer (california common) which is finishing up in primary right now.

My concern about pitching onto your yeast cake is that rauchbier. That smokey flavor will probably carry into the next beer. I'm thinking something with some coffee and roast flavors that will meld with that. Perhaps a schwarzbier?

Mmmmm, a schwarzbier. Good idea.

However, a maibock seems perfect too.

If I went the maibock route, I'd probably only use 2 cups of slurry or so, which would minimize the smoke flavor. The rauchbier is fairly subtle.

An update:

At yesterday's homebrewers meeting two guys made the same recipe, only one used the other's yeast cake that had sat for 6 weeks. There was a distinct flavor difference, and not a positive one, in the beer made on top the cake. Granted, it was an ale but this has me a little spooked about my steam beer being tossed on top of 8 week old lager yeast.

No reason to panic, but it is possible I might get some off flavors this way and just wanted you to be aware. It's going to secondary tomorrow, I'll give it a taste then.

Back