Want to get into automation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtupper

Reaction score
So i am looking to get into automation of my homebrew. possibly a herms system. Im looking to be able to automate my system to get consistant results of beers everytime. The downsid is I'm strapped for cash. I keep reading boards on ssr, pid, audrino boards, programing, and such but I lost touch with the computer programing after I left high school about 10 years ago. Most of what I read on the boards seems like a foriegn language. (cause it kind of is!:drunk:)

Currently I use a Cooler Style MLT and a seperate vessel for each my HLT and Boil Kettle. I was thinking of purchasing a March Pump and doing manual HERMS system but if there is a cheap way of automating it that would be great.

I would appriciate any help anyone could offer including pics of systems and how they work in Lehman's terms. I am very good with constructions, and DIY just don't understand a lot of programing and micro electronics.

What I would like to do is run an aditional vessle of boiling water that could be cycled on and off automaticly to maintain mash temps, and a way to then pump water to different areas based on a pump and switch system with disconects. If you have any ideas at all of what I would need and how much Im looking to invest that would be great.

As with any other hobby this would be a work in progress that I guess will start with a copper coil and a pump, but where do I go from there?

programming and micro-electronic skills are not required for an automated build. It's simply hooking up a few wires to make it turn out... There are plenty of builds on this site that meet your description, just dig through the DIY or electric brewing sections...

Here is what i have come up with so far:

HERMS.bmp

how does this look?

Pump = $140
Control Panel = $30
Discontects/ Tubing = $40
Controller = $100
Total Cost = $310

With the Johnson, you will probably overshoot your temps and have more fluctuation. The PID learns the system and accounts for when it's approaching temp to stop the output so you don't overshoot(as much). If you go with an element, do you mean getting a RIMS tube, or will you be adding an element to your HLT/HEX?

I know this is discussed slot but u am afraid of scorching wort with a rims sys. So I was thinking herms. But now I'm thinking it might be cheaper to jst go with the rims sys. Then I won't need another vessel right? Just a pid/ssr and a chamber (High temp PVC?) And a heat element?

With the Johnson, you will probably overshoot your temps and have more fluctuation. The PID learns the system and accounts for when it's approaching temp to stop the output so you don't overshoot(as much). If you go with an element, do you mean getting a RIMS tube, or will you be adding an element to your HLT/HEX?

i agree, you will want some integral term in your control loop. An On/Off control strategy isn't good for this application.

You won't need another vessel, but that cost isn't reduced as you need to use SS not hi-temp PVC for the chamber. You really don't have to worry about scorching. Just make sure the pump is running while the element is on and you won't have an issue. Rims you are looking at:

PID - $50
Temp Probe - $25
SSR - $15-$25
RIMS Tube - $75/$120 (built/bought)
Element - $15

Along with the pump, control panel, and connections.

I know this is discussed slot but u am afraid of scorching wort with a rims sys. So I was thinking herms. But now I'm thinking it might be cheaper to jst go with the rims sys. Then I won't need another vessel right? Just a pid/ssr and a chamber (High temp PVC?) And a heat element?

I wish I knew where all the billchit came from about scortching wort with a RIMS brewery? It is just that....Bullchit! If a RIMS brewery is implemented properly there is zero possibility of wort scortching. There must be hundreds and hundreds of RIMS brewers on this forum. They chose RIMS for a reason and I am sure they didn't choose RIMS breweries because they like the taste of burned beer. CodeRage proved through experimentation that you really have to try purposely to scortch wort with a RIMS and even then it is not so easy. Jeeesh.........Get the facts people.

Search attobrew on this forum and you'll see how I did my semi automated electric HERMS. It only requires two vessels, 1 pump, 1 PID. Very cheap build, very efficient brewdays, I love the electric brewing now. The best part is how easy it is to clean.

Personally I wouldn't worry about going fully automated. Plan your connections so you could add that stuff later, but first see how you like it and if you think you'll need it. I use manual ball valves and the like, and I just set a timer to tell me when to turn what. I realized long ago that even if my valves and pumps could turn on by themselves, I'd probably be sitting there watching to make sure they did anyway, so why spend the money to automate. Just get a $5 timer, some switches, ball valves, relax, and enjoy the brewday.

Check out www.TheElectricBrewery.com, not fully automated more like semi automated system. Fellow HBT member, Kal, details the entire build. It really help me understand how PID, SSR, etc works.

Pfft. Checking out TheElectricBrewery.com was the worst mistake I ever made... for my wallet. I was going to do a simple electric setup, but now I almost have a full clone of Kal's, lol. When everything he did makes sense, it's hard not to do it "right".

Seriously though, you can go a lot cheaper with just the bare necessities. I'm just easily swayed with bling factor, heh. :mug:

Back