Brewhemoth conicals?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, we aren't in the market to do a smaller one...YET.

I will work with Dale on trying to come up with one, though, since it seems there is interest!

No promises, but we will look into it!

Cheers!
:mug:

Oh, and as far as pressurizing goes (again)...

If we change the top and do away with the gasket, 60 PSI will be nothing for us to hold...the original use of these parts were to hold somewhere in the area of 1000 PSI (or more)!

No worries...as soon as we figure it out, you will all know! Either via here, Facebook, Twitter, brewhemoth.com or some other forum that you frequent!

Josh and Dale, is the temp control you are working on something we could add to an existing Brewhemoth? I would be all over that in a second!!!! I love my Brewhemoth. I go downstairs in the basement and look at it often. If it had a way to control fermentation temp I might have to sleep with it.
Steve

Josh and Dale, is the temp control you are working on something we could add to an existing Brewhemoth? I would be all over that in a second!!!! I love my Brewhemoth. I go downstairs in the basement and look at it often. If it had a way to control fermentation temp I might have to sleep with it.
Steve

Steve has it dressed up in a red and green silk bra with panties at the moment just for the holidays. Sorry Josh thought you should know.

Josh mentioned to me on Friday (I hope it is okay to repeat here!) that they are working on a temp control that will be installed as an option, and also one that might retrofit older units. I think "working" is the operative word, as one or both of those might not end up being feasible.

I've asked them to quote me a top that should be pressurizable. They don't know if can be done yet, but if it can then...schwang!

Well, we are working on both methods...as Red Clay mentioned. And no worries about repeating...if I told you, it is safe to repeat! :)

We have had positive results with all tests so far...look for a definitive answer in early 2011...we are hoping by March at the LATEST!

Cheers!

Well, he didn't say it wouldn't work, but he did tell me they were 'testing'. So rather than make a commitment for them, I thought it prudent to remind people that this might not work. The "looking good" comment above should calm your nerves. But have another beer anyway :mug:

Being in the business of developing products, I know there is nothing I hate more than someone promising something that we aren't sure we can do yet!

So very true.
I believe there's a way to add an internal cooler coil loop thru the filler cap
plus insulate the ferm with a zippered jacket that can be removed when cleaning.
It would be nice to get away from adding two more refrigerators as the ferm
footprint is much less.
I'll wait for answers.

I agree with the footprint thing. With two chest freezers down in the garage for fermentation and lagering, I am at my wife's limit. Plus I can only use plastic buckets in those darn things. Work hard Josh and Dale and I want to be the first to place my order on the retrofit when it works.

Creating a retrofittable temp control for this is not hard. I put together plans for one that works in both directions (heat and cool) using a lab temperature regulator. It's an extra $300-400 to set it up using refurbished parts, so I've chosen to use the fridge for now. I'm not crazy about using internal coils as it is counter-productive to my clean in place system. Before I got my fridge setup, I pumped the wort through external coils in an ice bath with a pump connected to a temp controller. This isn't ideal, but it works. So I wouldn't be too worried about something being retrofittable.

A note on the pressure stuff - don't forget that these are meant to be positive pressure vessels. You have to be very careful not to pull a negative pressure. Commercial tanks have a negative pressure relief valve usually rated at less than 5psi. My intent for using the 1 inch tri-clamp at the airlock hole is to hook up a CO2 input, so there is always positive pressure flowing into the conical, particularly during any type of cooling operation. I'll have the airlock in place until fermentation starts to slow, then I'll hook up the CO2.

I am simply going to leave you all guessing!! :)

I'm kidding...can't do that to you guys!!!

Okay, we are working on in internal that would come with a different lid, so Kally, your unit would be fine...clean as normal (clean and sanitize the chiller in a bucket, not in the unit). Steve, yours would be the same way...clean as normal, install "immersion" chiller unit with modified lid, and ferment at controlled temps.

Carl, well, we haven't "worried" about the tri-clover version yet, but I imagine it would work the same way as our standard version.

Check out the teaser photo on the Facebook page if you need a little more of an idea as to what we are talking about!!!

Cheers!

The picture on FB is interesting! Looks like you've cut the legs so they don't run as high up the sides. That means you might be able to wrap it in a coil now, eh? And I like the small cooling coil as well.

Very cool guys! Looking forward to hearing more.

Has anybody asked? Would this work for 5 gallon batches?

Just looked at the FB page. Nice, very nice. I am seriously considering selling both of my 14 1/2 gallon Blichmans.

Thanks for the comments!

Yep, Clay...you got it right, moved the legs lower to accomodate cooling coils (or a jacket) on the outside. The "immersion" coil is going to be the retro-fit so our early customers don't feel shorted!

Remember, these things are customizable enough that, for a pretty small fee (sometimes no fee), we can accomplish almost anything one could want! Some things just aren't do-able, like a hole for a 10" tri-clover, unfortunately...

You can safely ferment 5, 10, 15, 15.5, heck maybe 18 gallons in this thing! Hook a blow-off into the airlock and 18 is no problem...probably safe with 20 gallons at that point!

Oh, and while I am not going to be in the shop after today until January 3rd, I am still checking out this thread, so keep all your questions and comments coming!!

Cheers!

Josh

MOTHER @#$@ER!!!!

I order my Morebeer conical based on the whole "the Brewhemoth won't fit" scenario, and then I see this short one!!!! Gaaaah!

Well, looks like I'll be having two conicals in my future!

What are you using to pump and cool through the immersion chiller? Just ice water? and a small submersible pump?

There's mention of a jacketed version which I find VERY exciting. Is that going to be sold as a kit? Or would I have to add my own glycol chiller?

Thanks for the comments!

Remember, these things are customizable enough that, for a pretty small fee (sometimes no fee), we can accomplish almost anything one could want! Some things just aren't do-able, like a hole for a 10" tri-clover, unfortunately...

Josh

Ah, well. I was hoping to get a 10" triclamp welded on one of these puppies. That, imo, would be the perfect fermentor! As I told Josh, I'd like to be able to stick my big old head in there to make sure it is clean. Besides, it would look awesome.

I guess there was one good side to asking about it. When I called to follow-up on an email about the possibilities, I got to hear those immortal words "Oh, you must be Mr. Ten Inch." :rockin:

So I take it a 4" Tri-clover is as large as we can get? And then we'd also get a 1" welded over the airlock hole? I am definitely interested in an externally coiled/jacketed unit. Let us know when you are ready to take orders on them.

The "immersion" coil is going to be the retro-fit so our early customers don't feel shorted!

Did you run any performance tests?
The coil looks very small to remove enough heat during active fermentation.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

MOTHER @#$@ER!!!!

I order my Morebeer conical based on the whole "the Brewhemoth won't fit" scenario, and then I see this short one!!!! Gaaaah!

Well, looks like I'll be having two conicals in my future!

ALWAYS question...that's all I'll say! :D

We can do a LOT of customization...just so you know.

What are you using to pump and cool through the immersion chiller? Just ice water? and a small submersible pump?

There's mention of a jacketed version which I find VERY exciting. Is that going to be sold as a kit? Or would I have to add my own glycol chiller?

Currently, just running tests with a small submersible pump in water. Glycol is an option, I am sure, but we are looking at many options for chilling...I can't get into too many details yet. Trade secret possibilities!! :D

Ah, well. I was hoping to get a 10" triclamp welded on one of these puppies. That, imo, would be the perfect fermentor! As I told Josh, I'd like to be able to stick my big old head in there to make sure it is clean. Besides, it would look awesome.

I guess there was one good side to asking about it. When I called to follow-up on an email about the possibilities, I got to hear those immortal words "Oh, you must be Mr. Ten Inch." :rockin:

So I take it a 4" Tri-clover is as large as we can get? And then we'd also get a 1" welded over the airlock hole? I am definitely interested in an externally coiled/jacketed unit. Let us know when you are ready to take orders on them.

Yeah, that's me...open mouth, insert foot. I knew that sounded wrong as soon as I said it, Clay!

Currently, 4" tri-clover on top w/ 1" airlock is as big as we are "comfortable" going...again, playing with lots of stuff...

Did you run any performance tests?
The coil looks very small to remove enough heat during active fermentation.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

So far, we did an initial test of the Brewhemoth full with 9 gallons of 97* water and chilled it to 81* in less than two hours with 65* water. The "control" batch of 3 gallons (in an open bucket) of 97* water cooled to 89* in ambient air (65* room).

The next test is actually going to be making a lager in the thing! Dale is brewing that right after the new year, so we shall see...also, going to see if we can get the immersion unit to pull it to LAGERING temps!!!

Oh the fun!!!

Fermenter coil plumbed to another coil inside a container filled with water set in a dorm or small refrigerator. Trouble free no ice changes as well a constant cold temp output for fermenter stability. JMO's

Yeah, that's me...open mouth, insert foot. I knew that sounded wrong as soon as I said it, Clay!

Currently, 4" tri-clover on top w/ 1" airlock is as big as we are "comfortable" going...again, playing with lots of stuff...

Can you make a shadowless side manway... ok, just kidding.

Fermenter coil plumbed to another coil inside a container filled with water set in a dorm or small refrigerator. Trouble free no ice changes as well a constant cold temp output for fermenter stability. JMO's
That is the general idea for the add on unit. (By the way, I'm the other half of the Brewhemoth team). I wish I could be testing this right away, but with making a lager, there are many delays, the least of which is gathering materials. A dedicated ale man like myself does not keep many lager ingrediants on hand. The grain and yeast arrive on Wednesday next week, will make a two gallon starter and when its ready, the lager will begin. I will be posting daily on facebook how it is going, with recordings of ambient temps, beer temps, chilling water temps, so that the system can be honestly evaluated by all. Stay tuned.

Thanks for chiming in with the details, Dale!

Hopefully you get time to brew today...I may get time this afternoon before the weather hits.

ALWAYS question...that's all I'll say! :D

We can do a LOT of customization...just so you know.

I know! I talked to Dale, asking about a smaller one, or if one was on the cards for the future, and he said there wasn't! any plans to change it size-wise, just that there'd be a temp controlled one coming.

I know! I talked to Dale, asking about a smaller one, or if one was on the cards for the future, and he said there wasn't! any plans to change it size-wise, just that there'd be a temp controlled one coming.

Dale speaks the truth...nothing smaller in the current plans.

No garage brewing for me, my brew area is in the ex-family room, see my Blog ( http://penrosepicobrewery.blogspot.com/ ) for pictures of it. Right now I can ferment ales in the upper 60 degree range, about 15 degrees too warm for a lager. We will see how the test goes. I'm confident it will work, and looking forward to being able to brew Scottish ales during the summer.

:off:

just wanted to give these guys some more cred. here are some pictures of my new 22 gallon kettle, soon to be one mean electric kettle! :mug:
IMAG0260.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg
IMAG0265.jpg
IMAG0267.jpg
IMAG0266.jpg

absolute pleasure to deal with you guys.

Latest posts

Back