Building a wort immersion chiller.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpass00

Reaction score
I am going to build a 3/8" x 50' immersion chiller later in the week. I have read up on-line how to go about it. What I wanted to know is should I take any steps to clean or say boil the copper chiller before I decide to use it in a brew. I have no problem boiling it in my kettle and then getting rid of the water first. But I don't want to waste the pro pain if I don't have to. What has everyone else done if anything?

While not a bad idea I brewed without preboiling and lived to tell about it. Didn't detect any off flavors either.

The copper is likely to have a small amount of mill oil on it from when it was formed. Just clean it with whatever cleaner you use and rinse it off well before you put it in the boil. The mill oils may cause some slight off flavors but nothing more than that.

I just built one yesterday. If you're soldering anything, you'll want to clean off the leftover flux for sure.

Ok, I felt the need to brag. Here it is being successfully tested for leaks:
731-testing-out-my-diy-chiller-made-50-1-2-refrigeration-coil-no-leaks.jpg

Looks nice! I soaked mine in vinegar for a while and scrubbed the flux off. Came out nice and bright and got rid of the greasy feeling mine had (maybe the flux)...

Yeah, I'm going to scrub off the flux and then follow the directions for treating brass stuff, since I'm pretty sure the fittings I used were brass. Worst case scenario, it can't hurt.

From How to Brew:

John Palmer said:
Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5 minutes or less at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution.

Back