Can you help me choose a smoker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lschiavo

This space for rent.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am a total noob with smoking (meat not cigarettes).:D But I have asked the wife and kids for a smoker for Fathers day.

I have a good supply of wood so would like to go with a wood/charcoal version. I have been reading for over an hour now and am no closer to deciding on a model than when I started. I would likely only use for small family gatherings ect...but would like a reasonably large capacity . I have seen several off the shelf models that people are making modifications to to help them work "properly". I would like to avoid this. Not that I couldnt do the mods, I just have too many projects as it is.

I have seen many delicious looking BBQ photos in the galleries. I would appreciate any advice from you chef's out there on a good smoker to get me started.

They sell the BGE (Big Green Egg) at Meyer's Sew n' Vac in Iron Mountain. They have different sizes. I don't know anything about them, but you could take a peek in there and see if you like those.

Once you fire it up, let me know when we're invited over to sample! :D

They sell the BGE (Big Green Egg) at Meyer's Sew n' Vac in Iron Mountain. They have different sizes. I don't know anything about them, but you could take a peek in there and see if you like those.

Once you fire it up, let me know when we're invited over to sample! :D

Is that the Weber version? There will be smoke in the backyard on our hop harvest day!

Is that the Weber version? There will be smoke in the backyard on our hop harvest day!

No, the Big Green Egg is, um, a big green egg-shaped smoker/grill. I don't think it's made by Weber, but I could be wrong.

Our lamb won't be slaughtered until November, but I bet leg of lamb on a smoker would be great!

I'm pretty sure that both EdWort and Yuri_rage have made posts about their BGEs on the forum. That's where I heard about them. I saw them in Meyer's when I was buying those bathroom heaters, but I don't know anything about them.

Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. The best. I have the 18" but there is a 22" available.
It's well made and holds temp beautifully. My first smoker was a cheap POS and it worked but controlling temp was very difficult.

I use a cheap charcoal fired smoker and like was mentioned, holding proper temps isn't easy.
My buddies have electric fired smokers and have no trouble with them.
A lot of guys on my mailing list have the BGE and for cooking/BBQing say it is superior to anything else. Not sure on smoking with it.

I'd get a BGE too for grilling if I could justify it (I think it's like $900), but I'd still use my WSM for smoking. I prefer the water method.

No, the Big Green Egg is, um, a big green egg-shaped smoker/grill. I don't think it's made by Weber, but I could be wrong.

Our lamb won't be slaughtered until November, but I bet leg of lamb on a smoker would be great!

I'm pretty sure that both EdWort and Yuri_rage have made posts about their BGEs on the forum. That's where I heard about them. I saw them in Meyer's when I was buying those bathroom heaters, but I don't know anything about them.

I looked at the site. Sounds like an awesome grill/smoker but not much capacity. And it looks like arount $700. A bit steep for me.

We will have to work on a menu for the hop harvest. I think I told you I have never tried lamb but smoked anything is usually good!

Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. The best. I have the 18" but there is a 22" available.
It's well made and holds temp beautifully. My first smoker was a cheap POS and it worked but controlling temp was very difficult.

In my searching the weber got pretty high marks. What fuel do you use? Is it set up for a wood fire or do you have to use charcoal? Also, the Weber is a fire under smoker correct? Have you used it for low temp all day affairs?

In the WSM you burn charcoal. You could use wood but you would have to pre burn it.

I've the 18.5" and it's fantastic. It's a water smoker, but you can skip using the water once you get a handle on controlling your fire. The water really justs acts as a heat sink to keep the internal temps down.

On a full load of blue bag K fired in the Minion method I have stable 250F for close to 8 hours and went 12 hours without adding any charcoal. Had about half a chimney of coals left after shutting the vents and killing the heat.

If you want to go the water smoker style you can't go wrong with the 18.5" or the 22" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker.

In the WSM you burn charcoal. You could use wood but you would have to pre burn it.

I've the 18.5" and it's fantastic. It's a water smoker, but you can skip using the water once you get a handle on controlling your fire. The water really justs acts as a heat sink to keep the internal temps down.

On a full load of blue bag K fired in the Minion method I have stable 250F for close to 8 hours and went 12 hours without adding any charcoal. Had about half a chimney of coals left after shutting the vents and killing the heat.

If you want to go the water smoker style you can't go wrong with the 18.5" or the 22" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker.

Thanks, the water is making more sense now.

Take it easy on me man:D I only have a POS gas grill. Blue bag K is "kingsford" right? Is Minion method a special style? It does sound like you got a lot of heat out minimal fuel.

I think you guys are leaning me towards the WSM. Anyone have any reason why not?

Thanks, the water is making more sense now.

Take it easy on me man:D I only have a POS gas grill. Blue bag K is "kingsford" right? Is Minion method a special style? It does sound like you got a lot of heat out minimal fuel.

I think you guys are leaning me towards the WSM. Anyone have any reason why not?

Blue Bag K is the standard Kingsford, yah. You can also use lump charcoal but it burns hotter and quicker.

Best site for information on the WSM is http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/index.html.

Go with the Weber and spend some time on the TVWBB site. You, your friends, and your family will be glad you did.

Ok, Looking at the Webber. A buddy of mine just brought up cold smoking for cheese and such. I dont imagine you would do that with the Weber right? A seperate fire box would be necessary right?

Not sure which Weber smoker you're considering, but I'm certain it will accommodate "cold smoking."

Hot plate and a pan full of woodchips.

Build a UDS and save tone of cash and hassle. UDS = Ugly Drum Smoker. Google it. Built mine for $142.

+1. I have one and love it. For the price it just flat out can't be beat.

I was a bit confused by the water method. It seems like you are steaming meat. How do you feel it is better than low dry heat?

Many people will actually fill the water pan with water instead.

Ok, Looking at the Webber. A buddy of mine just brought up cold smoking for cheese and such. I dont imagine you would do that with the Weber right? A seperate fire box would be necessary right?

Cold smoking all you need is a NEW soldering iron, a soup can, some wood chips, an enclosure of some sort (even a cardboard box would work).

Alton Brown made ghetto ceramic smoker by using a big flower pot, elevated off the ground by bricks. Place a single electric burner in the bottom, run the power cord out the bottom drain hole in the flower pot. Place a pie tin on the burner and put your wood chips in the pie tin. Add a grate for the meat and another, inverted flower pot on top.

Thanks guys for all the responses. Now the dilema to build or buy:confused:

I really don't need another project right now so I will likely go with the Weber. Well, at least request it as it is a gift:D

Thanks guys for all the responses. Now the dilema to build or buy:confused:

I really don't need another project right now so I will likely go with the Weber. Well, at least request it as it is a gift:D

And then spend the equivalent of a UDS to modify it to work better. :p

The hardest part of building a UDS is sourcing the barrel. And the irony is, that after you have found it and fit it, you'll find barrels EVERYWHERE.

And then spend the equivalent of a UDS to modify it to work better. :p

The hardest part of building a UDS is sourcing the barrel. And the irony is, that after you have found it and fit it, you'll find barrels EVERYWHERE.

Damn it...you're probably right. I have several barrels and I can see three sitting outside at the business next door that I am sure I could have for the asking. I told you it was a dilema:D

I have used SWMBO's mom's BGE. I was not impressed.

The heat is directly below the meat, and in the bottom of the egg. Tough to control temps.

I prefer a side smoker box to allow cold smoking or at least better temp control. I do like the idea of a grill/smoker combo. When I am done smoking ribs, I like to let the chips catch fire and grill the ribs over them.

This is the smoker I have, got it on sale at ace for $200 a couple years ago and it works awesome! I performed the mods described on the smokering forum and it got even better. I like the fact that it can also be used as a conventional grill by putting in the lower grates and adding your coals. I also use the firebox as a small grill when its just the wife and I for dinner.

I started with a small vertical smoker, but they're fairly useless for more than two people. Now I have an offset not sure about the exact brand but the offset smoker is a really nice product and I think I found one at Menards for around $150, Charbroil brand maybe. Some exterior rusting after a few years (forgot to keep cover on it) but I can smoke about 20# of rib tips at once and still have room for some small items. Had to assemble it and rub down the inside with oil, but the next day I was smoking and grilling. Have fun smoking, it's a great way to burn up hours of mouth watering time. Try fruit woods in addition to traditional wood chips.

I heard a guy talking about these http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/smokers.htm sounds like a great add on to a gas grill or for cold smoking.

I have used SWMBO's mom's BGE. I was not impressed.

The heat is directly below the meat, and in the bottom of the egg. Tough to control temps.

I prefer a side smoker box to allow cold smoking or at least better temp control. I do like the idea of a grill/smoker combo. When I am done smoking ribs, I like to let the chips catch fire and grill the ribs over them.

did you have the platesetter in there for indirect cooking?

I didn't have any problem controlling the temps the first time I used my bge (yesterday) Never understood the water smoker criticism against the bge either. If you want water just place a tray of water on the platesetter.

http://store.cookshack.com/c-65-smokette.aspx

Cookshack smokette so long as you dont plan to use it for competition. It has an electric element that you put a box of wood over. The electric element is on a thermostat so you dont have to constantly tend to the smoker. put a chunk a wood in, set it to the temp you want and come back when its done.

I do pork butts for 12 hours or so, real easy. The other options are kind of a pain and not easy to control. You will get top notch results.

I have owned three upright charcoal water smokers. The best and easist to use had a seperate base for the charcoal. The whole upper shell could be removed for adding charcoal. The other two you had to add thru the little door.

This really comes in handy when you are smoking a turkey for 16 hours. You have to add charcoal every three or four hours.

The biggest meal I ever smoked was six pork buts for a company dinner. I wrapped them in foil and stacked them up like a pyramid. One of the best was smoked black fin tuna that I caught. One fish = dinner for eight.

You will use a LOT of charcoal. I have friends who have electric smokers and they use theirs more because they are so much easier to use. I only use mine a few times a year.

did you have the platesetter in there for indirect cooking?

I didn't have any problem controlling the temps the first time I used my bge (yesterday) Never understood the water smoker criticism against the bge either. If you want water just place a tray of water on the platesetter.

No platesetter. Perhaps I was too hasty. A plate to re-direct heat I presume?

Might work......but still, I would have to see that in action to judge.

BGE is the best for all in one and great for the really long smokes. It holds the temperatures for 12 + hours without any issues. If your on a budget, the tractor supply chain has a side smoker like the one the Neely's use for under $200. BGE gets my endorsement for everything from steak, ribs, even pizza.

I decided to build an Ugly Drum. Actually I will be building (4) with my brother and two buddies. One buddy works at a place where they do lots of metal fabrication so he is having the charcoal baskets made for free. I found all the drums for free. So I guess a few grates and some hardware is the only cost. I'll post some pics when we get em done.

How are the uds's coming? cheezydemon3, yes the platesetter is needed for an indirect cook on the egg. It should be set up like the picture below. You can even use it as a brick oven pizza cooker.

platesetterindirect.jpg

I know this thread is past it's prime and settled, but I tell you what - I absolutely LOVE my cheapo Lowe's electric Brinkman.

Separate bottom with a heater element. Can pull the top off to add chips and muck with things, that's a great feature. Only thing I don't love about it is no thermostat. Only an "on" setting, and that's when it's plugged in - it's ON.

I've smoked a number of pork butts and beer can chicken. I may be a noob, but for my needs, this things ROCKs for the $70 or so I spent on it.

I've made meals for 6 on it with NO problems and don't see any need for anything larger unless you're catering parties of 10+ on the regular. Last time I had it, I made pastrami (smoked brisket), 2 full chickens, and a 5# pork butt with no problems. Just had to plan around moving things because each item took just a little different time.

I know this thread is past it's prime and settled, but I tell you what - I absolutely LOVE my cheapo Lowe's electric Brinkman.

Separate bottom with a heater element. Can pull the top off to add chips and muck with things, that's a great feature. Only thing I don't love about it is no thermostat. Only an "on" setting, and that's when it's plugged in - it's ON.

I've smoked a number of pork butts and beer can chicken. I may be a noob, but for my needs, this things ROCKs for the $70 or so I spent on it.

I've made meals for 6 on it with NO problems and don't see any need for anything larger unless you're catering parties of 10+ on the regular. Last time I had it, I made pastrami (smoked brisket), 2 full chickens, and a 5# pork butt with no problems. Just had to plan around moving things because each item took just a little different time.

Might want to check with Brinkmans website. I heard there are mass recalls for a number of their grilles and smokers. I think most of them are the fuel based products but might be worth checking into.

Back