Smaller, test batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sneaker

Reaction score
I am eager to try different kits and recipes (still doing extract brewing for the time being), but at 5 gallons a pop, I just can't afford to brew very often. And I can't drink/give away all that beer.

So I'm wondering if it's possible to make 1-2 gallon batches. If so, do you just divide the recipe? Or is there something about 5 gallons that's optimum for brewing?

Also, I assume that I can get/make 1-2 gallon fermenters.

Anything else I should know?

well to scale down a recipe you take the SG from steeping the grain, there are plenty of tools out there for that, and subtract that from the SG of the recipe. then make up the difference with extract. LME gives you 36 points per pound per gallon (PPG) and DME gives you 44 points per pound per gallon(PPG).

example:

a beer has an OG of 1.050. the steeped grain gives you a SG of 1.005. so now you subtract the numbers ( 50 - 5 = 45). now you figure out how much extract you need.

lb. LME = 45 * (num gallons)/(36 ppg)
lb. DME = 45 * (num gallons)/(44 ppg)

I just started doing 1 gallon AG BIAB test batches because I can't lift a 5-gal carboy with my recent wrist surgery. I am fermenting them in all sorts of different PET-1 bottles that I can find. This might be a nice way for you to get into AG, and it's a lot cheaper. You can pick up a few lbs of grain and a pack of S05 for under $10. I can do an AG BIAB 1-gallon test batch in about 2.5 hours from start to finish. Dough in at your strike temp, put the pot in the oven at 150 degrees for an hour, remove the grain sack, boil and chill in your sink. You get great efficiency with small BIAB batches. I keep my recipes simple, one or two grains and one or two hops. It's a lot of fun.

I just started doing 1 gallon AG BIAB test batches
BAIB? That's not in the list of acronyms. What is it?

You can pick up a few lbs of grain and a pack of S05 for under $10.
S05 - also not in the Wiki. What is it?

Dough in at your strike temp, put the pot in the oven at 150 degrees for an hour, remove the grain sack, boil and chill in your sink.

No idea what this means. "Dough in"? And, I've only brewed four batches, but I've never seen anything about putting something in the oven. Please explain.

Sorry.

BIAB=Brew in a Bag. You can get a paint strainer bag at Lowe's and drop in your crushed grains. Steep them at around 152-153 degrees for an hour, put the pot back on the stove, raise the temp to 170 degrees, stir, then remove the bag and you have your wort. Boil and add hops as usual. It is the easiest way to brew all grain.

S-05 is dry ale yeast. Safale S-05.

Dough in just means to drop in the grains to the pot. Once I put the grains in my pot, I cover it with a lid and put it in my oven at 150 so that I can keep the temp at 152-153.

Back