Chocolate Espresso Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have aged my batch since January and just tapped it last night...

Holy Fudge McDuck that is a smooth 14%.

Brewed this today. Did a partial mash. Wonderful aromas during steeping and boiling. Dumped the 8 oz. container of Hershy's into a 4 cup measuring cup that was half full of wort, and stirred in the Chocloate into a creamy paste (use a bigger container than 4 cups). Added the brown sugar and molasses in the last ten minutes. The SG was 1.100. I added a little water to the carboy. Pitched two pint jars of washed 1056 yeast. Will provide updates as this kicks. The hydro sample was outstanding. I'm looking forward to watching this batch get happy. Thanks Tuck.

Glad to see the beer is bringing happiness to all........... BTW if you can let it age.....you will be rewarded. :)

I brewed this again Sunday (it's the house stout) and boy did it ever make a mess. Blew past the lid on the fermenter and was all over the laundry room. At least it smells good :)

-J

I brewed this again Sunday (it's the house stout) and boy did it ever make a mess. Blew past the lid on the fermenter and was all over the laundry room. At least it smells good :)

-J

LOL. Yea same thing happen to me man....It got all over the beige carpet......Wife was mad :mad: but I forgot about it after a few :mug:

Brewed this about 2 1/2 months ago and transferred it to to secondary over the weekend...oh my dear lord this stuff looks like black gold and tastes even better. I haven't even added coffee to it yet, but I can only see it getting better with it. Had to put a blow off tube on the primary when it was fermenting and probably blew off a half gallon :( it will be missed, but the rest of it is going to be enjoyed (slowly...hopefully) I'm probably going to cold brew coffee this week and add it to the secondary. Anyone use some crazy kind of coffees in it?

i must have messed mine up. Tuck, i would love to taste a bottle of yours when you make it.

It was only my second beer so i am sure that is what it was. I think it fermented too warm and i think my fg is probably too high. I was stupid and thought i was too good for hydrometers or something.

I will have to redo this. It was an expensive batch but i looooove stouts.. especially chocolate stouts... and i cant even explain chocolate stouts with coffee!

Tuck, i am in kennesaw often, let me know if i can buy a bottle off of ya

i must have messed mine up. Tuck, i would love to taste a bottle of yours when you make it.

It was only my second beer so i am sure that is what it was. I think it fermented too warm and i think my fg is probably too high. I was stupid and thought i was too good for hydrometers or something.

I will have to redo this. It was an expensive batch but i looooove stouts.. especially chocolate stouts... and i cant even explain chocolate stouts with coffee!

Tuck, i am in kennesaw often, let me know if i can buy a bottle off of ya

I will be brewing another batch soon, maybe we can meet up on National Teach a Friend to brew day (Nov 7) or better yet let me get a batch ready for consumption and then you can try mine. Prob be around Dec before it is ready and even then needs more time, I have been too busy brewing October fest beers lately

OK, so I brewed again (this took 1st place at last years BUAC brewfest (www.brewingupacure.org) so I had to have it at this years event.

Anyhow, being a lazy bastard, I took the espresso and added it straight to primary after chilling. The espresso is REALLY powerful, almost so much it drowns out the lb of chocolate. It worked well however and the espresso dropped with the krausen. So I will do the same next time, but cut espresso in half.

-J

OK, so I brewed again (this took 1st place at last years BUAC brewfest (www.brewingupacure.org) so I had to have it at this years event.

Anyhow, being a lazy bastard, I took the espresso and added it straight to primary after chilling. The espresso is REALLY powerful, almost so much it drowns out the lb of chocolate. It worked well however and the espresso dropped with the krausen. So I will do the same next time, but cut espresso in half.

-J

Sweet, glad to hear, I might try that too.

:ban:

going to do up a take of this in the am

12lb 2 row
1lb chocolate malt
12 oz carafa I
8 oz crystal 20
2 oz lb black patent
1lb light brown sugar

6oz cocoa powder
1.5oz cascade @ 8.5aa @60 mins
48oz stir-plated(new word??), dual incremented 1056
mash at 1.33 qt/lb @ 153 for 65 minutes

@75% eff = og est of 1.081
color 40.9smr
ibu 30.9

Hey Tuck, just got done with brewing something similar to yours and my FG ended up WAY higher than I had expected (like .010 higher) with a close to target FV. Do you think the cocoa powder would give any sort of false reading on the hydrometer?

Hey Tuck, just got done with brewing something similar to yours and my FG ended up WAY higher than I had expected (like .010 higher) with a close to target FV. Do you think the cocoa powder would give any sort of false reading on the hydrometer?

Hmmmm, maybe. That is a great question.

I think that if it is completly incorporated into the wort then it would add a little but should not be off the charts.

What are your readings?

I was shooting for a SV of 6.25g and SG of 1.066 (without brown sugar) and FV of 5.25g and FG of 1.081 using 75% eff. my SV was 6.25 but my SG was 1.0625 so that put me around 72% eff. To make up the difference, according to Beersmith, adding 4 more ounces of brown sugar would get my FG back to what I was aiming for. So after boil, FV just a tad over 5g when I took gravity reading. 1.093 @66F (1.094 temp corrected). Even at 5 gallons, the FG should have been in the area of 1.087. The only thing i can think of is I got a bad reading on the SG even though it was taken from stirred wort and chilled to 62F.

How do you avoid sanitation concerns if you add cold-brewed coffee to the secondary?

How do you avoid sanitation concerns if you add cold-brewed coffee to the secondary?

PRAY

JK........... It should not be an issue. If the coffee is hot it is sanitized, as long as during the time it is cooling you dont have it next to the toilet during this process you should be ok.

The time to be worried about germies are when the liquid is at room temp, but as soon as it is cool (I have put it in at 80 before) you should be GTG.

RDWHAHB :tank:

I might look like stupid, but when you say 4 cups of brewed coffee.
I'm french native with a italian family so for me espresso means a little cup of coffee make with 2 tsp of coffee and 1/4 cup water and you spoon can stand upright in the cup ;o)
I'm joking, but I'm not far from truth.
I know in US the coffee is pretty light compared to that, so I'm wondering how much ground coffee you brewed with how much water.

Thanks for your recipe, looks great, waiting to taste !

I am with that guy ^ espresso is my thing.

I might look like stupid, but when you say 4 cups of brewed coffee.
I'm french native with a italian family so for me espresso means a little cup of coffee make with 2 tsp of coffee and 1/4 cup water and you spoon can stand upright in the cup ;o)
I'm joking, but I'm not far from truth.
I know in US the coffee is pretty light compared to that, so I'm wondering how much ground coffee you brewed with how much water.

Thanks for your recipe, looks great, waiting to taste !

HAHAHA..... I am with you guys and have been bartending in fine dinning for
7+ years and I take my espresso serious. I use my Italian made espresso maker to make the espresso for this recipe.
Basically I brewed 1 full cup of espresso with 1 filling (fill the pod once for a cup) and........ you get the picture, 1 full pod per 1 measured cup of Espresso.

OK, so one full portafilter (commercial espresso machine) and run 8 oz of water through.

Thanks Tuck !

I'm grabbing the grains and I'll give your recipe a try as soon as I can !
Too bad I'll have to wait for fermentation :cross:

OK, so one full portafilter (commercial espresso machine) and run 8 oz of water through.

Sounds Good

Thanks Tuck !

I'm grabbing the grains and I'll give your recipe a try as soon as I can !
Too bad I'll have to wait for fermentation :cross:

No worries....... Yea and the only thing worse than waiting for fermentation is..........that it gets better with a little age. So if you can wait a few months it will be liquid pleasure in a glass :)

Just brewed this up - I added a pound of 2-row to adjust for my typically low efficiency and ended up high - 6 gals at 1.090. Awesome. I'm excited for this one.

I'm thinking of brewing this one. Three questions.

1. How long from boil to keg/bottle day? I'd like to shoot for an October drinking date.

2. How similar is this to Southern Tier's Choklat?

3. What is the espresso consensus? I have a small espresso machine so can I brew it. I also have a press so I could cold brew and press it.

TIA

I'm thinking of brewing this one. Three questions.

1. How long from boil to keg/bottle day? I'd like to shoot for an October drinking date.

2. How similar is this to Southern Tier's Choklat?

3. What is the espresso consensus? I have a small espresso machine so can I brew it. I also have a press so I could cold brew and press it.

TIA

1. For myself I like to leave it in the fermenter for 3-4 weeks then 2 weeks in the secondary with the coffee. So 6 weeks and in the keg then It is best (I think) to let it chill in the keg for 4 weeks max.

2.Have not had it or seen it. I will check it out though :)

3.I used Starbucks (store bought) espresso beans and crushed and brewed at home with espresso maker. So if you can do it at home .... go for it. I even think some guys did a cold brew with coffee on here with this recipe.

ENJOY:mug:

Sorry had to edit .... forgot which recipe I was writing about....DUH!

Yea I like to age in keg for at least 4weeks till cracking her open.

Thanks, so I'd be 4 weeks carboy, 3 weeks bottle, say 4 weeks age, about 3 months. Shoot for end of June.

If you get any Southern Tier brews, you can't go wrong. The Creme Brulee isn't my favorite (too sweet for me) but it is an experience. Choklat is divine.

Thanks, so I'd be 4 weeks carboy, 3 weeks bottle, say 4 weeks age, about 3 months. Shoot for end of June.

If you get any Southern Tier brews, you can't go wrong. The Creme Brulee isn't my favorite (too sweet for me) but it is an experience. Choklat is divine.

Damn Dude... That sounds VERY interesting!!! I love trying the wild and different brews. I am not into a sweet brew either but it does sound like it would be interesting to try.

Yea late June sounds about right, and to be Honest II have never been able to keep any around for longer than 3months after it is ready to drink so there is no telling how it will age. But I am assuming it would age well and mellow out into a very nice brew!

I did a three-week primary, then racked it on top of 4 cups of cold brewed kona coffee. I think it sat for about 3 months after that before I kegged and let it condition for 3 weeks, just because I got really busy and didn't have a lot of extra time. The molasses was a little overwhelming when I tasted the hydrometer sample from the primary, but after all this time it's mellowed nicely. The coffee isn't overly strong. It's definitely there and recognizable but it doesn't scream "coffee beer," which is preferable in my opinion.

I did a three-week primary, then racked it on top of 4 cups of cold brewed kona coffee. I think it sat for about 3 months after that before I kegged and let it condition for 3 weeks, just because I got really busy and didn't have a lot of extra time. The molasses was a little overwhelming when I tasted the hydrometer sample from the primary, but after all this time it's mellowed nicely. The coffee isn't overly strong. It's definitely there and recognizable but it doesn't scream "coffee beer," which is preferable in my opinion.

AWSOME!!!!!Good to hear you had positive results! :ban:

Back