Drilling a SS pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer a step drill. Bi-metal hole saws work, also. A simple twist drill (what I assume you mean by "regular drill bit") is a last resort for any hole larger than about 1/4".

+10 fro step bit... Check Harbor Freight if one is close to you for their step bit combo packs... Can usually find them on sale for $15 or less... They work just fine...

GO SLOW or you will just smoke the bit. Perhaps using "regular" bits, you could drill a pilot hole (1/3 the size of the final hole) first, then enlarge it. Take your time with SS.

David

I prefer a step drill. Bi-metal hole saws work, also. A simple twist drill (what I assume you mean by "regular drill bit") is a last resort for any hole larger than about 1/4".

A regular bit might rip your arm off when it gets hung up while breaking though.

I use a center punch to mark the hole, then a 1/8" drill bit to create a pilot hole and then a step bit to finish. Both drilling steps are performed at a relatively slow speed with high pressure, lubrication and patience.

Thanks guys, I will get a step drill as I already have a good hole saw bit but Ill listen to the pros.

Back