Adjusting gravity with DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
Just learned SG and OG can be increased by adding DME. Anyone know about how much DME to add per gravity point? Are we talking spoonfuls or cupfuls of DME for a 5 gal batch?

Trial and error works, just thought someone already knows.

Sure you can be sure to add to water and boil. Adding wort to beer adds lots of oxygen which can negatively impact flavor of beer aka oxidation. I'd weigh the low gravity vs potentially oxidized beer and make a decision from there.

How far u off from OG?

Sure you can be sure to add to water and boil. Adding wort to beer adds lots of oxygen which can negatively impact flavor of beer aka oxidation. I'd weigh the low gravity vs potentially oxidized beer and make a decision from there.

How far u off from OG?

Also, keep in mind that since you're adding fermentables that it's not really a "secondary" any more but instead an extension of the primary. A "secondary" is a clearing phase, and it doesn't really matter, but I can't imagine why starting a new fermentation at this point in a new fermenter would be indicated.

Back