HELP with ipa slurry fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukeedogs

Reaction score
hey brewmasters, I need some advise. I brewed a 40 litre batch of all grain IPA, split it into 2 carboys, in 1 i pitched a pack of rehydrated nottingham, and in the other i pitched 120 ml of unwashed slurry from a sierra nevada clone, that i had kegged that same day. ( the ipa had a starting grav of 1.054, and beersmith says it should start at 1. 054 and finish at 1.013) The one with the slurry took off sooner, but 4 days later the nottingham one stopped bubblin, and all the foam on the top dissapated. Its now 9 days after brewday and the slurry is still a bit foamy on top, and bubblin a bit in the airlock.( i know its not a sure sign , but it makes me think the notty one is done, and the slurry aint.Two days ago i took a gravity reading of the slurry one, and it was at 1020, and it tasted fine, so i dont know what to think. Mr malty said to only pitch 100 ml i think so could the longer ferment be cause the yeast was overpitched? Im gonna see what the gravity of the notty one is when my kid goes to sleep. whats goin on??????

Which yeast strain was the slurry? What you described for Notti is pretty typical.

the slurry was the same,nottingham ale, and was 2 weeks from pitching to harvesting. I just took a gravity of the non slurry carboy and its at 1009, and tastes pretty awesome. I thought that the slurry would be the faster one. Any ideas?

Do you have an autosiphon? I've used one before to pump yeast slurry from the bottom of one fermenter into a stalled ferment. It was Nottingham as well. It started right up. I pumped quite a bit - though, the beers have to be compatible.

good idea, but i dont think its stalled, im just curious as to why it is slower then the one from the packet,cause the slurry one had way more yeast according to mr malty

ukeedogs said:
good idea, but i dont think its stalled, im just curious as to why it is slower then the one from the packet,cause the slurry one had way more yeast according to mr malty

Hard to say. Yeast vitality is an interesting and complex thing effected by many factors. Did you cold crash the beer that the slurry was harvested from for awhile?

no, but i fermented the beer the slurry was from in the swamp chiller at 65, and the slurry fermented in the ipa at 70.

checked gravity on the one pitched with slurry and it was 1 point off of what beersmith says it should be, so i kegged it, even though the airlock was still bubblin. It tasted fine, it tasted awesome actually. Ive never had a beer finish and still be bubblin, maybe it would of gone even lower if i left it longer. Im gonna brew a redhook ESB clone and a stout tomorrow mornin and use the rest of that slurry thats in the fridge, i hope its not a weird fermentation :confused:like this one was

11 days and you're kegging it? Man, you must be eager to drink the stuff. I have to force myself to package it after 3 weeks.

ya, i usually wait 3 weeks but i have an empty keg, and i want to brew this mornin and wanted to taste the slurry fermented one before i used it on another beer. I wanted to be less then 2 weeks of yeast harvestin so the little dudes will be healthy.

Back