My first infection, 5 months in the making.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slomo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got around to the Hefeweizen that I brewed in June. So I racked underneath it, and gave a taste. No joke tastes like a Hefeweizen with just a tiny hint of bubblegum.:drunk:

infection.JPG

post infection.JPG

People who post pictures of yeast rafts and ask if it is an infection should be directed to this picture. Holy cow.

I haven't read anything about brewing a hefeweizen, so I don't know and have to ask. Is this intentional?

I haven't read anything about brewing a hefeweizen, so I don't know and have to ask. Is this intentional?

Shure!!!

Wow that is one nasty mold colony. Looks like you have a new dog poo bucket :)

is this because it was left almost 5 months in the bucket with a lot of headspace? shouldn't it have been racked to secondary as soon as fermentation was over?

is this because it was left almost 5 months in the bucket with a lot of headspace? shouldn't it have been racked to secondary as soon as fermentation was over?

Not necessarily. Racking to secondary can often increase the risk of introducing an infection, but if your sanitation practices are sound, you should be ok either way. Pretty much everyone is bound to get an infection sooner or later. It may take 10 batches, it may take 10 years. I haven't had one yet, but I'm sure it will come one day.

You're a braver soul than I. You couldn't have paid me enough to be the first to drink what's underneath that. Looks like a zombie took a dump in your bucket after a night of binging on hot arse and cabbage.

Assuming you hopped this, I would have done the same thing and racked from underneath... no one has died from beer this way in 8000 years, I don't think it's going to start today.

that infection does not render that bucket useless unless you plan on never washing and sanitizing it before using it again.

LMFAO.. You guys are making me laugh so hard I am crying.... Keep it up while I go grab a beer!

Assuming you hopped this, I would have done the same thing and racked from underneath... no one has died from beer this way in 8000 years, I don't think it's going to start today.

When I opened the bucket my buddy stepped back and walked outside saying "Dude thats gonna kill you". I told him it would be fine, so I took a drink, and it tasted like a Hefeweizen. The bucket has been sitting over night in hot water and oxiclean. I'll wash it out and let it sit in starstan for a few hours, and then dry hop an IPA in it.:rockin:

When I opened the bucket my buddy stepped back and walked outside saying "Dude thats gonna kill you". I told him it would be fine, so I took a drink, and it tasted like a Hefeweizen. The bucket has been sitting over night in hot water and oxiclean. I'll wash it out and let it sit in starstan for a few hours, and then dry hop an IPA in it.:rockin:
I would probably hit it with bleach first

No doubt, that's a mean, green hulk of an infection. If that were my bucket, I'd sanitize it with a flame thrower and clean it with a toss in the trash. There is no way $7 in plastic would be worth risking that again to me.

Back