BIAB mash temp difference from top to bottom of kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mathin

Reaction score
I'm doing my first AG BIAB. I'm noticing the thermometer at the bottom of the kettle is reading warmer than the temp at the top. I figure this is normalish, but wonder what temp to use for knowing whether I'm at the temp I'm shooting for in the mash.

The temp at the bottom is almost 170 ( which I know is too high) the top is at about 153, I put a floating thermometer in and it is reading around 158. Just not sure who to believe :)

I was shooting for a mash at 153ish.

Any (good) advice welcomed.

Dan.

I have found that you have to stir the mash alot and I pull hot liquid from the bottom and pour into the top (I do this because I don't have a pump yet).
Do this until temps even out throughout the mash.

Hope this helps
Later.....TangleFoot-out

Sounds like you are using either 2-or-3-different thermometers? Have they all been calibrated? If they haven't been calibrated, there could be a bit of variance there.

Yeah, three thermometers. I thought of variance as one possibility. I haven't calibrated two of the three. I'm adding that to my list of things to do.

Stirring did help a bit. I did an iodine test at the end of the mash. It stayed brown, so I think I'll end up with beer :)

Thanks for the tips!

I'm doing my first AG BIAB. I'm noticing the thermometer at the bottom of the kettle is reading warmer than the temp at the top. I figure this is normalish, but wonder what temp to use for knowing whether I'm at the temp I'm shooting for in the mash.

The temp at the bottom is almost 170 ( which I know is too high) the top is at about 153, I put a floating thermometer in and it is reading around 158. Just not sure who to believe :)

I was shooting for a mash at 153ish.

Any (good) advice welcomed.

Dan.
What are you using for a pot? I never had a problem with my aluminum turkey pot but my ss keggle a couple times I added my grains 152 came back 5 mins later 162 shiet, get the ice! Stirring a couple of degrees before your strike temp is the best solution, but have some ice on hand just in case.

I'm using a 15 gallon stainless kettle. It definitely held the heat well enough. I think next time I'll start with slightly lower temp for the water ... I can always turn on the burner to raise it if needed. Harder to lower the temp.

Back