Help Help Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthurmaysii

Reaction score
Hello, Im new to making wine and started a batch of plum. I added everything but forgot the pectic enzyme so I added it when I pitched my yeast. When I checked the next day to see if fermentation had started, it wasnt doing anything. Did I kill my yeast by putting the pectic enzyme and the yeast in at the same time or did I do something wrong in the my process? I made a yeast starter and the yeast activated properly, so Im thinking there isnt anything wrong with the yeast. Is it salvageable?

Would too much acid blend harm the yeast. The recipe i used call for 5 tsp. Its only a gallon batch. Could this be the problem?

visible fermentation does not always happen over night, It can take much longer then 24 hours for you to see bubbles especially if you didnt make a starter and just pitch it into the must. I would wait 5 days and if you dont see any bubbles you might have a problem, dont give up on it yet yeast can be pretty unpredictable.

Would too much acid blend harm the yeast. The recipe i used call for 5 tsp. Its only a gallon batch. Could this be the problem?

That's a LOT. I mean, I think that's got to be a mistake. 5 teaspoons might even be too much for a 5 gallon batch, depending on the recipe. Yes, that might be too acidic for the yeast. My plum wine doesn't use any acid blend to start, as often plums have plenty of acid on their own.

Give it another 24 hours and see if it takes off. If not, you could try adding more yeast.

I added water to the must to thin it out so to speak. Then pitched more yeast and airlocked it. It started to ferment the next day. I then pored that back in with the rest of the must. Hopefully it will keep fermenting. How do i know when to add acid blend. I dont want to add if i dont need it. I put about 2 1/2 packs of yeast. Will that have an affect on the final product.

Back