I've been hoarding some hops. Time for an Imperial IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrakeleyBrewing

Reaction score
Here is my current stash. http://i.imgur.com/hbT8q.jpg I currently have a half pound of Citra, 4oz of Chinook and I'm about to pick up a half pound of Simcoe.

I recently started doing all grain, and this would be my third all grain batch. I am planning a 3 gallon batch of Imperial Ipa. Here is what I've come up with. Any suggestions are welcome.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 82.4 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)Grain 2 5.9 %
4.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 3 2.9 %
12.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4 8.8 %

0.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 17.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 33.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 36.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 12.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 11.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 12.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 6.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 6.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Update: I just got back from my LHBS and of course they sold out of the Simcoe hops they had just gotten a few days ago. I substituted whole leaf Amarillo which I think will be pretty nice. Here are the hops and 12 oz. of sugar ready to go. http://i.imgur.com/ZflI8.jpg

Grains are in the mash tun as I type.

lots of hops... what did the OG end up at?

It was actually a bit of a disaster. For some reason my Beersmith software was assuming a mash efficiency of 93%. I have no idea why, and I haven't figured it out yet (I have only used it 3 times).

So, it had calculated a bre-boil gravity of 1.059 and I actually got around 67% efficiency giving me only 1.043. I quickly realized what had happened, but unfortunately I didn't have any dme or anything laying around, so I added 10 more ounces of sugar and sacrificed some volume by doing a 90 minute boil. This gave me an OG of 1.075, which still about ten points lower than I had expected.

Then, on top of that, the two ounces of whole leaf hops ate up about an extra gallon of wort it seems, so I ended up with probably two gallons going into the fermentor. :(

At the end of the day, this was really just a test batch for a full 5 gallon imperial IPA that I want to do, so it's not a total loss. The main thing, is I wanted to see how these hops would be together. And who knows, maybe all that sugar will make for a really dry, drinkable beer.

Yea, when I saw your original bill of only 7.5# of 2 row, I figured it was a bit low for an imperial. I think the hop bill will be good, especially if it's a stronger beer. I made a 10 gallon batch of IIPA a month or so ago with 30# 2 row plus a couple lbs of specialties and ended up with an OG of around 1.088. I had a bunch of Magnum, Simcoe and Amarillo in mine and it came out great... went through the first 5 gallon keg in about a week.

Yea, when I saw your original bill of only 7.5# of 2 row, I figured it was a bit low for an imperial. I think the hop bill will be good, especially if it's a stronger beer. I made a 10 gallon batch of IIPA a month or so ago with 30# 2 row plus a couple lbs of specialties and ended up with an OG of around 1.088. I had a bunch of Magnum, Simcoe and Amarillo in mine and it came out great... went through the first 5 gallon keg in about a week.

That sounds awesome. Did you dry hop it? If so, with what and how much? I'm trying to figure what I'm going to dry hop this with. It's only 2 gallons, maybe a little more, so I was thinking .75 ounce of pellets at the most.

I think it was about .5 oz Simcoe, .5 oz Amarillo per 5 gallons. The final gravity came down to 1.015, making it a little over 9% ABV and it just gets better with each passing day.

Back