SS Gas Dip Tube Too Wide for Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aplus01

Reaction score
I've got a Firestone Challenger VI keg that I bought replacement gas in dip tubes for at a local homebrew store. I assumed all dip tubes were created equal. I've since learned that my kegs gas in hole isn't large enough to accomodate the new stainless steel gas dip tube I bought.

I understand the part is no longer manufactured except by Foxx Equipment. Are they even necessary? I've tightened everything down without the dip tube and it seems to be sealing well. I've read of folks cutting them down so they're just 1/2 to 1/4 of an inch long so the narrow opening isn't an issue. I've also read of some folks using a drill bit to widen the hold to fit the stainless dip tube in. What are other folks w/ this type of keg doing? I saw they had more of the red plastic dip tubes for sale but it looked used and as battered as the one i was replacing.

All you really need is something to keep the small o-ring in place when attaching the post. Like, an old battered red plastic gas tube...

Cheers!

So I gather from the responses that some sort of dip tube is advisable.

Has anyone had firsthand experience with drilling the hole to accommodate the stainless gas dip tube? Or with shortening them? What is their purpose?

My local supply store had just one plastic gas dip tube and shipping on a $2 piece of plastic is triple what the tube costs.

I'm hoping that I can not have to try and return the stainless tubes I've got if there's some way I can use them.

Has anyone had firsthand experience with drilling the hole to accommodate the stainless gas dip tube? Or with shortening them? What is their purpose?

My local supply store had just one plastic gas dip tube and shipping on a $2 piece of plastic is triple what the tube costs.

I'm hoping that I can not have to try and return the stainless tubes I've got if there's some way I can use them.

I don't have first-hand experience, but I believe there are threads where people drilled out the gas post on the Challenger VI to accept a normal stainless dip tube. When I got one of those kegs, I ended up buying the plastic dip tube from williams brewing rather than use the included beat-to-hell red one or drill out the post. You could possibly try e-mailing Williams once they have the dip tubes in stock to see if they could throw a few in a padded envelope and send it first class mail.

Quick & Easy Corny Keg Modification.

I just completed the drilling and it was quite a task. You have to have a good drill bit, alot of pressure, oil, and about 2 hours to finish the job (due to starts and stops because of heating). If I had to do it again, I would buy the plastic one and be done with it.

Quick & Easy Corny Keg Modification.

I just completed the drilling and it was quite a task. You have to have a good drill bit, alot of pressure, oil, and about 2 hours to finish the job (due to starts and stops because of heating). If I had to do it again, I would buy the plastic one and be done with it.

Thanks, for sharing your experience. It was just what I needed to realize that I should just trim the dip tubes. Especially since I own a pipe cutter but no carbide drill bits. :p

So far kegging hasn't been the revelation that it was made out to be. Its super frustrating to get parts home only to discover the type of poppet valve you bought is for a different type of gas post AND that the dip tubes you got are also not going to fit.

aplus01 said:
Thanks, for sharing your experience. It was just what I needed to realize that I should just trim the dip tubes. Especially since I own a pipe cutter but no carbide drill bits. :p

So far kegging hasn't been the revelation that it was made out to be. Its super frustrating to get parts home only to discover the type of poppet valve you bought is for a different type of gas post AND that the dip tubes you got are also not going to fit.

I had the same initial problem. The solution is to get rid of the crappy old kegs and pay for the reconditioned ones. $15 is not worth hours of mods and parts hunting.

pkananen said:
I had the same initial problem. The solution is to get rid of the crappy old kegs and pay for the reconditioned ones. $15 is not worth hours of mods and parts hunting.

Very true. I own 2 kegs. One reconditioned which is currently dispensing beer and the second (a used keg) is the bane of my existance.

aplus01 said:
Very true. I own 2 kegs. One reconditioned which is currently dispensing beer and the second (a used keg) is the bane of my existance.

Yep, I spent hours researching and trying to find elusive parts, only to realize that selling it on Craigslist for a small loss and buying a more expensive reconditioned keg would make things much easier.

So does anyone know what the purpose of the gas in tubes is? If you can get by with such a short tube seems like you could go without them entirely.

Back