Bath Exhaust Fan or Computer Fan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPB

Reaction score
I am amassing the materials for my kegerator. I currently have several used cpu fans and 1 used Broan exhaust fan. I didn't know which would work better. I am liking the exhaust fan because I can just plug it in rather than try and rewire the cpu fans but I am unsure as to how long it would last. On the other hand the cpu fans are probably quieter and I have more of them.

Does anyone have any experience with the exhaust fan and is it incredibly noisy (it is in the kegerator).

IMO, the exhause fan is big time overkill. It will use a lot more power and probably be considerably noisier. I'm using a 120 mm 110v AC computer case fan (muffin fan) and it has been working very well. I run it continuously. The Broan is probably a fairly expensive unit. Save it for a more suitable application.

The exhaust fan alone can be had at Lowes for 15 bucks or in my case free. I'm sure it will use a more a lot more power or it seems it would (I'm basing this on no facts whatsoever) and is definitely louder (I've heard them both). It seems that using an exhaust fan might be as appropriate (can handle moist air) for this application as the computer fan in this case.

One other fact I may have overlooked is the durability. CPU fans are used to running for longer periods of time whereas the exhaust fan probably isn't.

skip that blower. use a computer fan and steal a wall-wart type power supply from somewhere (a cellphone charger, external hard drive, etc). as long as the output says "12v DC" and atleast 200mA, you should be good.

you dont need or want hundreds of CFM of airflow in your fridge.

Are you planning a KEGARATOR or a FERMENTER/CHILLER. Im not sure a pc fan would do in the keg cooler but in a ferm/chiller, well the pc fan will work just fine. IMHO. but a kegarator, idk....

+1 on it being overkill and probably being a bit loud. That said, it would probably work fine if that's the route you really want to go.

Just from my experience, I have had the occasional computer fan wear out on me (usually the very small ones on graphics cards) but it seems like they often last a very long time even when run continuously.

On the other hand, I've had to replace several bath fan motors, especially at our old house that only had one bathroom. My guess is the larger axle of a bath fan probably results in more friction which may cause them to fail sooner. I'm sure the motor also draws more amps so it probably generates more heat than a little computer fan would.

Thanks for the responses! I'll probably stick with the cpu fan.

Are you planning a KEGARATOR or a FERMENTER/CHILLER. Im not sure a pc fan would do in the keg cooler but in a ferm/chiller, well the pc fan will work just fine. IMHO. but a kegarator, idk....

I have computer fans in all of my freezers and refrigerators including the converted freezer used for serving. These were a major improvement at a very low cost. Highly recommended!

Back