Vanilla Creme Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No_Party

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We used to have a brewery here in Nashville called Bohannon's that made the best Vanilla Creme Ale I ever had. I decided to brew a non-gf batch for friends as a tester and see how it turned out before I attempted a gf version. The non-gf was a success, so I brewed the gf version. It's still bubbling away in the carboy so no results yet, but I hope this turns out good.

Recipe as follows(5gal batch):
8oz Roasted Millet (steeped 60min)
8oz Roasted GF Oats (60min)

3# Rice Syrup (boiled 60 min)
3# Sorghum Extract (30 min)
8oz Belgian Dark Candi (60 min)
8oz Sorghum Molasses (30 min)

4oz Maltodextrin (15min)

.5oz Amarillo (60 min)
.5oz Saaz (15 min)
.5oz Tettanger (5 min)

Whirlfloc
1oz Vanilla Extract in the cooled wort

Safale S-04

Will add another 3oz vanilla during bottling. I figure to be bottling this on Saturday and drinking the first one a week after that. :mug:

Dude keep us posted on this. I just started my Gf for a friend of mine and my ale i call super gulten free ale is almost done and so far it taste pretty good! If turns out good i might give it a whack.

Just cracked one of these open today. Still a little early, but so far so good. I definitely didn't get the color I was shooting for and there is little to no head retention, but it is a good beer. The vanilla is there, but in the background. I would probably up the amount used during bottling. I can taste a hint of citrus in there, probably from the sorghum. I hope this one ages well.

GF-VCA1a.jpg

Not aging well. At least not as far as the vanilla goes. Still a refreshing brew, but the vanilla is going away quite quickly. This has happened in my non-GF Vanilla Creme Ale as well. If I make either of them again, I will up the vanilla a tad. That being said, we are still enjoying this one, so I consider it a half success. :mug:

Back