Another Banjo Burner Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
Alright, I've recently made the jump to doing mainly 10 gallon batches. I currently have a cheap turkey fryer (jet burner) and although it does boil 12 gallons of wort, it doesn't ever get it up to a rolling boil. I'm considering buying a new burner, but I'm torn on which one to buy.

I've read countless threads and have found that banjo/hurricane burners have a few problems, but are they really that large of a concern?

The problem that concerns me is how they eat through a typical 17 lb propane tank.

Should I just go with a bayou classic or should I make the quality jump to a banjo?

I use Hurricane with NG - works great. Either burner will do the job, advantage for Hurricane is easy conversion to NG if you ever need to. Not sure of the problems you mention as I don't have any with mine.

I have the Banjo Burner, and I have never used the Hurricane. I love it -- I can get 4 gallons of water boiling in no time. It sounds like a jet engine. BUT -- a word of warning in terms of propane usage: as I said in another thread, the Banjo is like a Hummer. It'll do the job, but it is a freakin' gas guzzler. I've heard of people boiling for 3-5 hours with one tank of propane, but I can boil for a max of 2 hours, and sometimes not that if it if cold and/or windy outside (even gentle breezes seems to affect it -- last time I had to set up a windscreen, even though I was inside my carport).

I am not going to replace it, but if it ever breaks I probably will not buy another one. YMMV.

I have the Banjo Burner, and I have never used the Hurricane. I love it -- I can get 4 gallons of water boiling in no time. It sounds like a jet engine. BUT -- a word of warning in terms of propane usage: as I said in another thread, the Banjo is like a Hummer. It'll do the job, but it is a freakin' gas guzzler. I've heard of people boiling for 3-5 hours with one tank of propane, but I can boil for a max of 2 hours, and sometimes not that if it if cold and/or windy outside (even gentle breezes seems to affect it -- last time I had to set up a windscreen, even though I was inside my carport).

I am not going to replace it, but if it ever breaks I probably will not buy another one. YMMV.

What do you think you would buy? Would you buy a bayou classic or something?

Well, I need to revise my estimate of the Banjo burner because I'm an idiot. It turns out I had a bad tank, and it wouldn't maintain pressure once it was half empty. Last time I switched out tanks instead of refilling, and now I've brewed 2.5 times with the same tank -- that's over 3 hours of usage -- and it still isn't out.

So, yeah, if this thing breaks I would _definitely_ get another one! One thing I forgot to mention is that it is built like a freakin' tank -- it is a heavy, solid piece of metal that feels like it can take a beating.

Well, I need to revise my estimate of the Banjo burner because I'm an idiot. It turns out I had a bad tank, and it wouldn't maintain pressure once it was half empty. Last time I switched out tanks instead of refilling, and now I've brewed 2.5 times with the same tank -- that's over 3 hours of usage -- and it still isn't out.

So, yeah, if this thing breaks I would _definitely_ get another one! One thing I forgot to mention is that it is built like a freakin' tank -- it is a heavy, solid piece of metal that feels like it can take a beating.

Idk if you use a keggle, but if you do does it sit on there or did you have to modify it?

Wellllll,
Everyone is going to give you a different answer. Here are a couple of threads about what I've learned. I have only done 5 gal. batches with my new rig, but I can do 2 and a partial with 17 gal. of propane. If you have to have a stand, that will also dictate your choices.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/hurricane-burner-106183/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/10-banjo-burner-111177/

Luck - Dwain

I'm not sure about those times Dwain. I have the banjo and just did a 10g batch today. I had to turn the burner down because I was getting my 12g of wort to a boil before my MLT was done draining.

I love the banjo, its quiet and powerful. I can usually get 3-4 batches out of one tank

I agree, what is the difference, I bought my burner used, but is has the bayou classic emblem on the side of it, has a high pressure regulator on it, and 10inch burner, I can get 5 brews plus a partial brew on mine. 5 gal brews, heating for all grain, boiling 7 gal each time.

I'm not sure about those times Dwain. I have the banjo and just did a 10g batch today. I had to turn the burner down because I was getting my 12g of wort to a boil before my MLT was done draining.

I love the banjo, its quiet and powerful. I can usually get 3-4 batches out of one tank

That sounds better than what I get out of my crappy turkey fryer one now. What do you think about this?

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/rba5_folding_double_burner.htm

I think I'm going to make a rig out of that.

Latest posts

Back