What's the best chcolate stout recipe/kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaundesjardins

Reaction score
I've decided that my next beer will be a chocolate stout in the style of Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

Anybody have any great recipes or kit recommendations?
It must be extract since that's all I'm setup for at the moment.

Thanks.

I don't have one in front of me, but the first place I would look before reinventing the wheel would be 'Brewing Classic Styles' or "Designing Great Beers". Zainasheff and Daniels consistently produce style recipes that amaze. And if you study them they give you a nice base template to tweak if you are so inclined.

Here are the Chocolate Stout recipes that show up in the search of the recipe forum. I didnt look deep, but I did see some Young's mentioned.

I don't have one in front of me, but the first place I would look before reinventing the wheel would be 'Brewing Classic Styles' or "Designing Great Beers". Zainasheff and Daniels consistently produce style recipes that amaze. And if you study them they give you a nice base template to tweak if you are so inclined.

Here are the Chocolate Stout recipes that show up in the search of the recipe forum. I didnt look deep, but I did see some Young's mentioned.

Thanks for the book recommendations. I'll check those out.
You can never have too many brewing/recipe books.

Austin Homebrew Supply has a kit that is similar to youngs. Look under the Stout area of the AHS kits, you should see a double chocolate stout link. I've never had it but it seems to get good reviews on the AHS site.

Austin Homebrew Supply has a kit that is similar to youngs. Look under the Stout area of the AHS kits, you should see a double chocolate stout link. I've never had it but it seems to get good reviews on the AHS site.

Thanks.
I saw that one last night while checking out their website.
I might end up getting their kit but I was hoping to put together a 2.5 gallon batch to test it out and if it comes out really good I'd get a 5 gallon batch going.

I suspect you can contact Forest or anyone over there and ask. I bet they can put together a kit that'd make 2.5 gallons, or come close. You probably just have to ask. In my experience, most homebrew stores that make their own kits don't really 'package' them in the same sense that trubrew and others do. If anything just ask them for the recipe and convert it yourself. I think they will give you the details if you ask, they just don't put them out on the site for anyone to copy.

I suspect you can contact Forest or anyone over there and ask. I bet they can put together a kit that'd make 2.5 gallons, or come close. You probably just have to ask. In my experience, most homebrew stores that make their own kits don't really 'package' them in the same sense that trubrew and others do. If anything just ask them for the recipe and convert it yourself. I think they will give you the details if you ask, they just don't put them out on the site for anyone to copy.

That's a great idea!
I'll email AHS and see what they say.

I made a KILLER Chocolate stout if you want the recipe?? I am just polishing it off as we speak...just gave a few out to friends...very smooth and chocolatey!

I've made AHS Chocolate Stout kit tree times and it has always been great. I would say go ahead and get the kit for 5 gallons, you won't be disapointed.

I made a KILLER Chocolate stout if you want the recipe?? I am just polishing it off as we speak...just gave a few out to friends...very smooth and chocolatey!

If it's good post it in the recipe section (if you haven't). Share the HBT love.

I'm enjoying a Young's Double Chocolate Stout right now.
I like these so much I bought every single bottle my local beer store had left....which was only 7 unfortunately.

I made one with my friend with bakers chocolate, didnt turn out to well. My dad got a basic stout recipe, and the guys at the brew store were making a chcolate mead or something, and they let him have a little bit of chocolate extract. He used something like an ounce for 5 gallons and it was very nice and very chocolately. We had a blind taste test at thanksgiving with that, sam adams chocolate bock and southern tiers choklat, and everyone picked it above sam adams. I hear the extract is expensive but it did turn out quite well.

Back