to dry hop or not to dry hop... and if so, with what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockytop714

Reaction score
I just recently took my first try at an all grain batch. I was shooting for a 3 gallon batch of CDA/Black IPA. I started the boil at around 4-4.5 and ended up with about 3.5 gallons in the post boil volume.

at any rate, my hopping at that volume was 0.5 oz Palisade for 60 minutes, 1 oz Chinook for 10 minutes, 0.5 oz Palisade for 5 minutes, and then 1 oz of Cascade at flame out.

I'm an airlock sniffer and what's wafting out of the airlock smells delicious.

So I'm debating whether or not to dry hop when I transfer it to the secondary, this weekend and, if I do, what hops to use. My initial thought was another ounce of cascades, but I've been hearing a lot about Citra hops, too.

If any of you have made this style before (and I'm sure some of you have), what hops have worked for you? any suggestions? ...anything I should avoid?

All input is welcomed. Thanks! :mug:

I just made a Hickory Smoked Black IPA that I dry hopped with 3 oz. of Simcoe and 1 oz. of Citra that I absolutely loved. I've found it takes more dryhop than normal to compete with the smoke, and my batch was 5.5 gallons, so I would recommend that ratio, but not that amount. In your case, I might do 75% Cascade/25% Citra. Maybe 1.5 oz Cascade, .5 oz Citra?

Latest posts

Back