Can a kettle screen cause low efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rau71

Reaction score
Just how low an efficiency are you getting? You should be able to get a pretty decent efficiency using the screen. A false bottom might improve your efficiency, but there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get 70%+ efficiency with just the screen. It is more likely a process or crush issue if it is very poor.

I have done 6 AG batches and every one has been between 50-55%. My batch today I accounted for the low efficiency and bought a bigger grain bill to hit my OG. I have bought grains from AHS, NB, and my LHBS. I just bought a grain mill so my next batch I will crush, but I think I need to tighten up my process in the Mash and Fly sparge to improve my efficiency.

Fly sparging with a bazooka tube is going to be inefficient. To fly sparge effectively, you need a false bottom or manifold that covers the entire base of the MLT otherwise you will get channeling.

-a.

Rau71 said:
I have done 6 AG batches and every one has been between 50-55%. My batch today I accounted for the low efficiency and bought a bigger grain bill to hit my OG. I have bought grains from AHS, NB, and my LHBS. I just bought a grain mill so my next batch I will crush, but I think I need to tighten up my process in the Mash and Fly sparge to improve my efficiency.

+1 to milling your own grain! Also, with fly sparging it should take at least an hour and you need to be sure there is always a little water sitting over the grain bed as you go. Mash temps are also important so be sure your thermometer is calibrated properly:)

Is it possible to get a false bottom made for a rectangle cooler? I have only seen circular ones. That being said would it be worth it to get a circular Mash tun and a false bottom? I am not confident in my ability to make a manifold for my Rectangular mash tun.

Is it possible to get a false bottom made for a rectangle cooler? I have only seen circular ones. That being said would it be worth it to get a circular Mash tun and a false bottom? I am not confident in my ability to make a manifold for my Rectangular mash tun.

I don't think you can get false bottoms for a rectangular cooler, but you can certainly batch sparge which should give you much better efficiency.

-a.

"Can a kettle screen cause low efficiency?"

No

Something else is wrong. I have a 4" stainless braid and I consistently get 84-85%. Now that you have a mill there is a saying, that while not big on this site, that has been around awhile. Crush til your scared

Fly sparging with a bazooka tube is going to be inefficient. To fly sparge effectively, you need a false bottom or manifold that covers the entire base of the MLT otherwise you will get channeling.

-a.

Ah, not if you do it right. I hit 80~90% efficiency and I use a braided hose in my Mash Tun. You only get channeling if you Vorlauf\sparge too fast and disturb the grain bed. It isn't the equipment, its the technique.

Keyth

+2. Great beer can be made with either method of sparging. Also batch will make your brew day faster. I consistently hit 75-80% with batch sparge and have since batch 1 (which was an oh crap I wasn't ready to mash but I just activated the smack pack for the PM batch instead of the extract and grains batch I guess I'm mashing batch). I have an extra 5 gallon round cooler for hlt and extra pot for heating sparge water so I have been toying with trying continuous sparging but if it ain't broke don't fix it right?

The reason to try batch sparging in a situation like this is that it eliminates your lauter system and technique as possible causes of poor efficiency. If you batch sparge and your efficiency goes up, you know that your lauter system and/or technique is the cause. Once you know that, you can either correct it and go back to fly sparging (not me!) or just keep batch sparging. Most people who try batch sparging stick with it.

Denny said:
The reason to try batch sparging in a situation like this is that it eliminates your lauter system and technique as possible causes of poor efficiency. If you batch sparge and your efficiency goes up, you know that your lauter system and/or technique is the cause. Once you know that, you can either correct it and go back to fly sparging (not me!) or just keep batch sparging. Most people who try batch sparging stick with it.

+1 again. I started fly sparging, but once I gave batch sparging a try I havnt gone back to fly sparging.

Ah, not if you do it right. I hit 80~90% efficiency and I use a braided hose in my Mash Tun. You only get channeling if you Vorlauf\sparge too fast and disturb the grain bed. It isn't the equipment, its the technique.

Keyth

That's not what Palmer says. http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixD-1.html

I believe Palmer in this instance when talking about fly sparging.

-a.

I use a bazooka screen in my mash tun. I consistently get 72-73% brew house (kettle) efficiency. If I stir the heck out of the mash I can get 75%. PS. I batch sparge.

I use a bazooka style screen 5G cooler and have had roughly 80% eff over the last 10 batches

That's not what Palmer says. http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixD-1.html

I believe Palmer in this instance when talking about fly sparging.

-a.

I believe empirical data. You stated an absolute, that with the equipment in question (mashtun with a bazooka style screen sans manifold,or false bottom), one cannot achieve efficient rates fly sparging. I do it all the time...so your statement is incorrect.

I have no problem with those that have recommended to the OP that he give batch sparging a try as a means to address his low mash efficiency, sounds like good advise. Telling someone that something cannot be done, when it can however, isn't.

Back