First time, no sanitizer, pee'd on it...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought Miller Ultra was 90% Urine?!?!?!??

Industrial espionage? Recipe stealing? I mean, carbonating your sanitizer may seem obvious, but it takes some guts!

Thanks! I have bang bang shrimp planned and maybe some wings.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/bang-bang-shrimp-263783/

Good luck with your opener and your planned espionage!

:mug:

please, try to stay on topic guys.

I started doing this a while back. made some skeeter pee lon would be proud of.
i got more and more into the idea of using your own body to help in the brewin process, then, BAM! it hit me.
i've begun using my saliva rather than mashing.
you know, it's really all about making more of the beer "yours"

shouldn't this thread be in the ramblings forum?

whomever mentioned crapping in their hand for shampoo has me laughing at my desk like an idiot. Thanks a lot.

Seriously thinking about foregoing the StarSan from here on out.

Yeah... I went there. What of it?

Can I microwave my grain, to kill off any bacteria, so that I don't need to sanitize my equipment?
My dog licks my fermentors clean so I have that covered.

I'm trying to shorten by brew day and if I can get away without having to clean and sanitize it would save some time. :fro:

I got to start looking at the thread date first. I was on the second page wondering who are these people. This looks like another train wreck! Looked at how long the OP has been a member, and thought, no, can't be a troll. then saw the OP had only 3 posts since then. WTF, doesn't add up. Crap! I've been had...:eek:

Okay ya'll, have your fun, but I'm going to bed. BUT, remember to park your :goat: at the door, and don't stay up too late.

Can I microwave my grain, to kill off any bacteria, so that I don't need to sanitize my equipment?
My dog licks my fermentors clean so I have that covered.

I'm trying to shorten by brew day and if I can get away without having to clean and sanitize it would save some time. :fro:

Just brew under black light, you'll be fine.

This is one pervasive myth ;) I think you have a lot of educating to do:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/Urine-Culture
Urine in the bladder normally is sterile-it does not contain any bacteria or other organisms (such as fungi). But bacteria can enter the urethra during urination.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/examinations/urinesample.htm
Urine is normally sterile, but it can get contaminated through bacteria on the skin and the genitals on its way out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine
Urine is generally considered to be at least fairly sterile. When it leaves the body, however, the urine can pick up bacteria from the surrounding skin, which would contaminate it.

This reminds me of a doctoral defense talk I went to once. The student compared "sterility" to "pregnancy": Either it is sterile or it's not; just like you are or are not pregnant. There is no "fairly/a bit/somewhat" pregnant (or sterile).

So can i save money and stop buying StarSan and Iodophor and just use urine instead? :p
Would it be ok if I had my dog help out? :D

Can urine substitute as line cleaner? :goat:

I don't even know who came up with the idea that just because something is [supposedly] sterile it could be used to sanitize anything. It's not that sterility can be transferred that way. If your urine is caustic enough to serve as sanitizer you should probably seek medical help. Infections however... Anyway, I'll stick to my Five Star chemical products and an autoclave :mug:

I don't even know who came up with the idea that just because something is [supposedly] sterile it could be used to sanitize anything. It's not that sterility can be transferred that way. If your urine is caustic enough to serve as sanitizer you should probably seek medical help. Infections however... Anyway, I'll stick to my Five Star chemical products and an autoclave :mug:

I hope you realize I was kidding :D
See my prior post about having my dog lick my fermentor clean. :fro:

On another more serious note - :p
since many bacteria don't like an acidic environment, can I sanitize with beer?
I'll just brew a DIPA and use that as my sanitizer. Then drink it afterwards.
A win-win situation. :mug:

I hope you realize I was kidding :D
See my prior post about having my dog lick my fermentor clean. :fro:

On another more serious note - :p
since many bacteria don't like an acidic environment, can I sanitize with beer?
I'll just brew a DIPA and use that as my sanitizer. Then drink it afterwards.
A win-win situation. :mug:

Of course! I was more referring to the OP :)
Beer is acidic but not acidic enough to reduce most bacterial burden (it may slow down or inhibit growth though). Another important ingredient in sanitizers like StarSan is the detergent and I doubt you have that in in your DIPA. Bigger problems will arise once you slack of an get biofilms in your equipment... I'd never risk a long day's work and several weeks of waiting over a couple of bucks in tried-and-proven sanitizer! :mug:

I remember my first thousand posts.

Wait...That's over 3200 posts in 7 months. Assuming you do sleep that's about a post per hour. So, When do you have time to make beer! :D Oh, you have to be single... :pipe: ... :smack:

Of course! I was more referring to the OP :)
Beer is acidic but not acidic enough to reduce most bacterial burden (it may slow down or inhibit growth though). Another important ingredient in sanitizers like StarSan is the detergent and I doubt you have that in in your DIPA. Bigger problems will arise once you slack of an get biofilms in your equipment... I'd never risk a long day's work and several weeks of waiting over a couple of bucks in tried-and-proven sanitizer! :mug:

I don't worry about no stinking biofilms! :beard:
I kill them off with my Belgian Tripel, Endotoxins be damned, all that extra protein from their cell walls improves head retention.

Which leads to this question -

Lets say you use plastic buckets and get an infection.
Would PBW dissolve a biofilm, if left in a fermentor for 24 hours?
If not, why? I assume the PBW would dissolve organic matter, but if the bacteria are in a protected scratch, maybe it takes longer for the PBW to dissolve the biofilm. Can you leave it for a week?

This would be a cool exBEERiment -
can i rid an infection using PBW? :ban:

(If yes, I can save hospitals in the USA millions of dollars and thousands of lives.)

Back