Wife needs advice please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerdling1

Reaction score
Hello!
I decided that I would like to give my husband a kegerator/keezer for his birthday in November. After reading several bad reviews of the cheaper styles of single tap kegerators, and having little luck looking on Craigslist, I am about to pull the trigger on trying to make one myself.
I am hoping you fellas (or ladies) might have a little bit of advice.
First of all, has anyone actually had a great experience with one of the cheaper models (danby, nostalgia, etc) of kegerators? That might save me a little bit of trouble! I did see a frigidaire model for 450, I believe they retail for around a 1000. That was the only 'nicer' model.
If I convert a full size fridge with 2 or 3 taps, do they all have to be in use? I am not sure my husband can actually drink 2-3 small kegs worth before they go bad at a time, but I know he is a big fan of variety...and it would be nice to have more taps for when we need them (like when I am not pregnant and able to enjoy it as well).
Is a keezer that much better than a kegerator? From the research I have done, it seems that it might be a bit more difficult to make.
Does anyone have any very specific tutorials they can recommend? I have watched a few on youtube, but I have no technical know how when it comes to thermometers, gauges, or even setting up a keg, and the tutorials I have seen seem to gloss over those parts.

I am pretty handy, and the one who uses the power tools in our marriage. However, is this something that should really be left to a true beer enthusiast to customize?

Does anyone have any conversion kits they would highly recommend, or do yall mostly steer away from the kits?

Sorry for the deluge of questions. I am trying to hurry and decide if this is something I should/could do or if I should just take my chances on a used danby/nostalgia/vissani on c-list.....

THANKS!

First off, your husband is a very lucky man! Building a keezer is a pretty big project. Depending on how you build it, it can be very time consuming and very expensive. Ask a 100 homebrewers how to build one and you will get a 100 different answers. If you are sure your husband wants a keezer and not a commercial kegerator, you may consider just buying him the freezer and maybe some of the kegging equipment that he will need. That way he can customize it to his liking.

I'm sure a bunch of others will chime in shortly with their 2 cents. Good luck!

Jay

Indeed, lucky guy! Is it bad if I say I'm picturing a hottie in a tool belt? :)

I have had a lot of bad luck with prefab kegerators, specifically the fridges themselves. The Danby is god awful. I have had excellent results buying a used full sized fridge from a neighbor upgrading to stainless (I have two now) and putting 4 taps in them. No, you don't have to use them all at once, but I have found with tap handles, if you build it, they will come...and help you drink the beer! If you have the space, or it's a garage kegerator, I highly recommend the full sized fridges. You may have to reinforce the bottom shelf to hold the weight, but you sound pretty handy and I'm sure you'll be just fine doing that.

If you're forced to go with a smaller fridge, the Edgstar unit it pretty good, but it makes some seriously loud cracking and popping sounds from time to time...or the Sanyo minifridges are good candidates for drilling your own tower hole, just beware that many of them have one coolant line running across the top about 2/3 of the way from the front of the unit...be careful. BTW, I've knicked refrigerant lines too (I've probably built 10 kegerators by now) that's your biggest risk with a minifridge or when drilling sidewalls of any fridge.

Edit: Every kegerator owner that ever lived and started with a single tap has either upgraded to, or at least coveted a 2nd tap.

I don't have any experience with buying an actual kegerator. I built my own. Which, if you decide to go that route, there are many build threads and lots of helpful people here. If you include 2 or 3 taps they do not all have to be in use, I consider them optional. For the keezer vs kegerator, they both do the same thing, it just depends what your preference and visual appeal is.

Hello!
I decided that I would like to give my husband a kegerator/keezer for his birthday in November.

You are Wife of the Year Material

First of all, has anyone actually had a great experience with one of the cheaper models (danby, nostalgia, etc) of kegerators? That might save me a little bit of trouble! I did see a frigidaire model for 450, I believe they retail for around a 1000.

You are paying way to much for way too little quality with these. In my opinion. They are really easy to build. I went way over board and didn't know a thing about carpentry when I started mine. I will be selling mine soon to finance building a new one.

If I convert a full size fridge with 2 or 3 taps, do they all have to be in use? I am not sure my husband can actually drink 2-3 small kegs worth before they go bad at a time, but I know he is a big fan of variety...and it would be nice to have more taps for when we need them (like when I am not pregnant and able to enjoy it as well).

No I have three taps and haven't been able to brew often enough to fill all of them. I just make sure to flush the lines with some cleaner if they sat a while. Also converting a full size fridge is one of the easiest ways to make a kegerator. Put a hole in the door, instert faucte and shank, tighten, attach beer hose, and you are pretty much done.

Is a keezer that much better than a kegerator? From the research I have done, it seems that it might be a bit more difficult to make.

Depending on your level of skill yes they are more difficult to make, and they require a temp controler too. Skill level will also determine how effecient they are. Mine has a few badly sealed joints and leeks a bit of cold air and runs a bit more that I'd like. Version two will fix that.

Does anyone have any conversion kits they would highly recommend, or do yall mostly steer away from the kits?

I would get the parts you need from the local brewing supply store, they will be able to make sure you get all the parts you need. Also they will often sell most of the compnets already assembled, like your lines and quick disconnects.

Keezer build you will need something like this:

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2013/10/ends-tonight-great-deal-72-cu-ft.html

Good deal and they come up often.

You are a wonderful wife for doing this!

I think you should just go the route of buying all the necessary parts and let him put it all together. Maybe you could take the lid off and take that to cabinet shop and have them make a collar.
Good luck and keep us updated.

Beer won't "go bad" in a keg that you're using CO2 with. You're thinking of the party-style pumps that introduce air into the keg. As long as you keep the beer away from oxygen it will stay fresh for a long time.

I haven't used the commercially available models (Danby, etc.) but the ones I have seen were pretty cheesy. I built a keezer that can hold 4 corny kegs and I love the fact that I built it. Pride of doing the job myself thing, I guess. Everyone who sees it wants to know how I did it so they can build one too.

If you have basic handy skills and tools you can build it and customize it to your needs. The only thing I would say is don't expect it to happen quickly if you want to do it right. Take your time and do the research and ask questions (like you did) and you'll be able to build it. Don't get overwhelmed by buying all the parts at once. It's a lot of information to absorb if you've never done it before. Maybe start with the freezer unit and wood collar, then move onto the rest later when that part is done.

Photo of my baby here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-lid-question-230956/

Thanks for all of the advice. I think I am going to go with a full size fridge and go for 3 taps. Building the structure at the bottom of the fridge shouldn't be a problem, I am just worried about proper insulation where the hoses go in, making sure I connect everything properly so the co2 doesn't all leak out... And planning it :)
I want to have everything ready to go in secret and have the fridge delivered in the morning and everything ready for him when he gets home that night! I will keep y'all updated.
I will start wading through more tutorials, in the meantime I might try to figure out how to make some cool taps.
I can't stop laughing- when one of the posters suggested I get everything and then let him do it :) he called me when I was out of town recently and asked how to change a drill bit. He is an amazing guy- we each have our strong suits :)

Depending on your location, I'm sure you can find someone from here that can help with planning/show you in person what they've done so you can get some ideas. perhaps even build it at their place for it to be delivered. Just a thought. Or someone that has a lathe to make some tap handles with.

making sure I connect everything properly so the co2 doesn't all leak out...
You can spray the connections with a mixed solution of starsan and it will bubble if you have leaks. Makes them easy to track down. If they are bad you will hear them, but the if they are slow the starsan (or dawn dish soap mixed with water) will help.

I built one about 6 years ago and recently sold it ( HUGE MISTAKE).

Its easy, to avoid nicking lines, you can store co2 inside. Later on, he can decide on relocating if he wants. Will need more frequent bottle exchanges if you keep the co2 inside, because for the physics laws of gas pressure. But anyway, I found a thread or link on the internet and followed that.

I bought a new Roper dent and scratch fridge with upper freezer. I removed all the shelving. I put a 1/8" thick piece of wood on the floor, and kept a metal support bar at the back of the fridge compartment. The wood covered about 2/3 of the floor, and the back 1/3 was raised, but the metal support beam forms a ledge on which the kegs rested. It easily fit 6 kegs with the co2 tank outside. I had a brass manifold with 6 outlets, mini shutoffs, and and single input. Try to get a manifold that has check valves. If you have the cash, they also have manifolds with mini regulators on each output, to but the mini regs are fairly expensive. Scout out a fridge first and have dimensions calculated for the kegs and bring a tape measure to see if they'll fit. Look at the back floor of the fridge, it's often raised.

After that, if you want, you can remove the molded door panel with a Dremel tool, or if your really lucky, a screwdriver. Be careful not to damage the door seal however. If you want, you can keep the door panel in place though. It just makes the taps have a little play as the plastic compresses when you tighten the beer nuts.

Now you need to drill out the holes for the beer shanks. Get 6 inch stainless steel shanks if you can afford, otherwise chrome plated. You'll need one beer nut for each one. You also need tail pieces. I prefer the SS flare nut type, but for starters, get the hose barb style. 3/16 " bev tubing is what you are going to want, with appropriate sized hose barb tail pieces. Next are the faucets. You want the perlick types with forward seal. Trust me on this. Stainless steel. Buy the covers that slip on to keep out the fruit flies. Buy a faucet brush. You need a drip tray. Buy the cheapest one you can, that is long enough to cover drips from several taps. Tell hubby he can figure out how to mount it himself, because the counter top styles are cheapest, but have no mounting holes. Then you are going to need the keg connectors. There are ball lock and pin lock. Look at his kegs, and buy the type of gas and beer connectors to match, one for each faucet you're installing. You need neoprene beer washers one for each faucet. You need a regulator for the co2 tank if you don't have one already, and a tank and kegs if you don't already have. Last thing you need is gas line.

You'll probably need a trip to hardware store at some point. You'll need worm style hose clamps or oetiker style hose clamps. Get 4 per faucet plus several extras.

You'll need a drill and a hole saw the proper size for your beer shanks. I forget the correct size. You need a Dremel tool or hack saw (optional) if you want to remove the shelves on the door. You need a screwdriver, and a sharp utility knife. You also need a nice drill bit set if you want to drill the hole for gas line.

You need some small sheet metal screws. I like the hex head self tapping 3/8" long type, for mounting the manifold.

Using the screws mount the manifold up near the top of the fridge with outlets pointing UP, and inlet pointing toward the front of the fridge ideally. And try to mount it on the side of the fridge (inside) on which you would like the CO2 to sit- plan so that you can drill the fridge on that side to rest the co2 outside in the future if you want, without having to relocated the manifold. Leave a good 6"-8" from top of fridge inside chamber to top of manifold to easily mount the gas out lines. They point up so as to be out of the way. I like the rigid reinforced type gas tube. You need to cut the tubing and mount he gas disconnects with clamps and also clamp to manifold. Plumb in the co2 regulator the same way. See below if you're drilling the fridge side wall.

Next measure out the spacing of the faucets and shank holes on front door of the fridge. Be sure to account for the height of the taps and the freezer door so opening the freezer doesn't activate any faucets! Also be sure they are spaced close enough so the drip tray will cover them all. Drill the fridge front door with the hole saw and slide the shanks through. The threaded side will face inside, the cupped part the outside of the fridge. If you didn't remove the door shelves, jest tighten the retaining nuts snugly, and don't forget to use the trim ring on the outside. These should come with the shanks. Don't attach the faucets yet, you'll need a faucet wrench too by the way, but can use other types of wrenches in a pinch. Just be careful you don't scratch the shanks though.

Ok, next step. Cut the bev tubing to the right length, this is the tricky part because you won't know the right amount of resistance you want. In general, I used 10-11 feet of 3/16 tubing and had good results. Measure this for each keg. If you're feeling generous, get a big box of bev tubing so he can created custom lengths for different beer styles. Once you have the tubing cut you can proceed. Put a tail piece and beer nut on each shank being sure to use the neoprene washer in the beer nut, and tighten. Attach tubing and tighten worm clamp. Connect opposite end to beer out connector with a clamp.

Install faucets with faucet wrench, and leave the drip tray on huge floor for now. You could always use some corner braces or something form the hardware store to mount this to the from of the fridge with a little ingenuity. Be sure you can fit a glass on the tray below the faucets before mounting if you choose to do this.

Connect co2 tanks ( don't forget the washer if your regulator uses one). Dial pressure to 10-11 psi. Prepare a spray bottle with 50:50 dish soap to water. Spray all connections on the gas side to test for leaks. Fix any leaks, clean up soap. Get a mop bucket and a empty clean keg. Fill keg with hot soapy water. Connect keg to each tap one at a time, flush the lines with with soapy water. Collect soapy water in mop bucket from each tap. Rinse thoroughly with cold water in similar fashion. Now you can pour beer!

Drilling hole for co2. If you opt to do this, here are some tips. I bought some pipe nipples about 3-4" long, some o rings that slipped around the outside of each, and a drill bit big enough so that I could use the nipple as a conduit through the side of the fridge wall, to avoid sharp edges cutting the main gas feed line. I drilled two such holes so I could dispense beer and run a second line from a dual regulator setup so I could force carb a keg at a different pressure if I wanted, or to serve a nitro beer with another cylinder....
Anyway, I got coolant line during my drilling. Here is what to do to avoid a coolant line. Measure a 3x3 square on inside plastic lining of fridge. Use Dremel tool to barely cut out the plastic without getting too deep into insulation behind. Remove and save. Using a knife, or some other implement, dissect out the foam insulation to reveal the coolant lines that usually are on outer metal skin of the fridge. Then using your drill, drill out the holes with coolant lines in plain sight.match up the hole for the piece of plastic inner lining you saved and drill so you can use the pipe nipple conduit later. Tape the plastic piece back into place, and fill the hole with foam insulation and let harden. Go back and re-drill or dissect the foam and install the nipple / conduit (s). Use O rings to hold in place.

Other tips. If you want you can use permanent oetiker style clamps instead of worm clamps, which can erode the line over time. You can use flare nut style connections for tailpieces and keg connectors, which I beneficial if you want to serve commercial kegs from time to time, in switching between fittings. I much prefer these to barb type connections. Get 6" shanks. These help keep the beer in the faucet cold from the metal mass, with less foamy pours if the fridge is in a hot garage. Try to find and use all stainless steel parts instead of chrome plated. The chrome does not last and then you're drinking chrome and then machined brass with your beer. If you leave the shelves on the door inside the fridge, the taps will swivel somewhat. Don't over tighten the nuts trying to prevent this, but try to keep them all evenly tightened. Appearance and aesthetic issue only. Don't forget to accurately measure the hole spacing for the taps to prevent freeze door problems and drip tray issues. You may need a sample tap handle. Dry erase magnetic boards or tap boards would be a nice touch to label what's on Tap.
Good luck.
TD

Thanks for all of the advice. I think I am going to go with a full size fridge and go for 3 taps. Building the structure at the bottom of the fridge shouldn't be a problem, I am just worried about proper insulation where the hoses go in, making sure I connect everything properly so the co2 doesn't all leak out... And planning it :)
I want to have everything ready to go in secret and have the fridge delivered in the morning and everything ready for him when he gets home that night! I will keep y'all updated.
I will start wading through more tutorials, in the meantime I might try to figure out how to make some cool taps.
I can't stop laughing- when one of the posters suggested I get everything and then let him do it :) he called me when I was out of town recently and asked how to change a drill bit. He is an amazing guy- we each have our strong suits :)

Actually, if you're only going 3 taps, you can probably just strip all the shelving and put the kegs 3 across on the bottom of the fridge. I'm actually building one out right now, I'll take some pics tonight. Nothing special, but maybe it'll help. One thing about building out the shelf/support is that you can use the drawers below for bottle storage...but depending on the fridge, you've got beware of height restrictions. If you need keg heights, let me know I'll measure out commercial kegs for you. You'll need to leave clearance for the keg tap too.

Hello!
I decided that I would like to give my husband a kegerator/keezer for his birthday in November. After reading several bad reviews of the cheaper styles of single tap kegerators, and having little luck looking on Craigslist, I am about to pull the trigger on trying to make one myself.
I am hoping you fellas (or ladies) might have a little bit of advice.
First of all, has anyone actually had a great experience with one of the cheaper models (danby, nostalgia, etc) of kegerators? That might save me a little bit of trouble! I did see a frigidaire model for 450, I believe they retail for around a 1000. That was the only 'nicer' model.
Does anyone have any very specific tutorials they can recommend? I have watched a few on youtube, but I have no technical know how when it comes to thermometers, gauges, or even setting up a keg, and the tutorials I have seen seem to gloss over those parts.

I am pretty handy, and the one who uses the power tools in our marriage. However, is this something that should really be left to a true beer enthusiast to customize?

Sorry for the deluge of questions. I am trying to hurry and decide if this is something I should/could do or if I should just take my chances on a used danby/nostalgia/vissani on c-list.....

THANKS!

Wow. What a gift. I am jealous

I will bring up a couple points to think on and echo what the rest have said. Will you be wanting to buy sixtels/corneys (1/6 kegs ~5 gallons, or homebrew soda kegs), 1/4 kegs (7 and some chaneg gallons) or 1/2 kegs (15.5 gallons approx)? I ask this, because depending on how many taps you want you need to make sure that you can fit everything in there. See dimensions below.

Kegs-new.jpg

Keg beer will not go bad unless you use the party pump style coupler (O2 is bad and oxidizes beer, CO2 is good and maintains carbonation and will not affect it).

The keezer/kegeratror distinction is more a matter of preference and the footprint. Think about placement and how much space you have as well as tap height. Most keezers use a chest freezer and are a larger footprint and a bit more of a pain to load (you have to lift the keg over the lip), kegerators tend to be standup fridges and are easier to load but when you open the door lose more cold air.

As for conversion kits, pretty much any of the vendors on here are good. I would suggest 10-12 foot long beer serving lines to start (the 5 foot ones that tend to come with the kits are generally accepted to be too short and cause foaming issues.

Will need more frequent bottle exchanges if you keep the co2 inside, because for the physics laws of gas pressure. But anyway, I found a thread or link on the internet and followed that.

I will argue with this one. Just because its colder does not mean CO2 will magically disappear. You still have the same amount of gas regardless of the temperature. The pressure will be slightly lower at colder temperatures, but you will still get the same mileage out of cool/room temp CO2. The CO2 gas will be cooled to the same temperature once it is inside the kegerator so you use the same amount too. Only difference is the regulator's high pressure gauge will reas lower which is no big deal as it is unreliable for anything other than having gas or being empty.

Thanks again guys. I went by my local hone brew store (luckily there are a few here in atlanta) to have a look at everything and get an idea of price.
Wow- this is not an inexpensive hobby :) I think I am actually going to start with 2 corneys, with space to add a 3rd or 4th down the road. I am sure I could probably get a better deal if I spent the time to look for used parts, or on eBay, but it is nice to know these are quality. If you are going to do something, do it right I guess. I believe with all of the parts, and tanks, it looks like 450. Does that sound normal?

I am so grateful for all of the advice. I have to say, I felt pretty cool going into this "guys" brew store, being able to hold a real conversation about types of couplers, perlick faucets, tubing length etc. I feel like I have learned so much- just in the research! Now I just have to decide what to put on tap! I hope to get rogue-dead guy... Not sure what else. I am not actually building it for 2 more weeks, so I will keep y'all updated when I actually get to work!

best thing it so ask your husband to show you his drem keezer or keggerator, sit down with him at the comp and google the term in pictures.

As for me money is tight so I found my joy in finding a used non working mini fridge on a local classified site for 10.00 and have been building it in stages. It doubles as a ferment chamber it is small, but very versatile. I am now looking for another one I would llove to find a chest freezer next.

One thing I love about the mini fridge is that you can move them around. I like to keep mine outside in the summer and indoors in the winter.

Find out 3 things thats important to hubby and design it with those three things in mind. for me my priorities are fermentation temps dduring primary so mine had a temp control unit installed. another is the ability to move it around so small is good.

I can fit 2- 5 gallon corny kegs in mine and that is good for now! Good luck! and your hubby is a lucky man to have a wife that enjoys his hobby with him!

Thanks again guys. I went by my local hone brew store (luckily there are a few here in atlanta) to have a look at everything and get an idea of price.
Wow- this is not an inexpensive hobby :) I think I am actually going to start with 2 corneys, with space to add a 3rd or 4th down the road. I am sure I could probably get a better deal if I spent the time to look for used parts, or on eBay, but it is nice to know these are quality. If you are going to do something, do it right I guess. I believe with all of the parts, and tanks, it looks like 450. Does that sound normal?

I am so grateful for all of the advice. I have to say, I felt pretty cool going into this "guys" brew store, being able to hold a real conversation about types of couplers, perlick faucets, tubing length etc. I feel like I have learned so much- just in the research! Now I just have to decide what to put on tap! I hope to get rogue-dead guy... Not sure what else. I am not actually building it for 2 more weeks, so I will keep y'all updated when I actually get to work!
No not inexpensive at all! even with the deals you find on classified sites it can be time consuming! here's the inside of my kegerator/ferment chamber build. I can ferment 5 gallons while kegging 5 gallons. it's not the best set up, but it works for me. lagering around 40 degrees is ideal aswell as ale serving temps, but occasionally I have to serve it around 65 degrees when fermenting ales. will be adding 2 taps in the near future!

dirk-smithson-kegerator1.jpg

... Will need more frequent bottle exchanges if you keep the co2 inside, because for the physics laws of gas pressure.

Sorry to nit pic, my apologies, but this is not true. The amount of co2 is the same stored inside a keezer or outside and will carb the same amount of beer, either inside or outside the keezer.

While you will have lower pressure at a cooler temperature, the mass of gas is the same regardless of temperature, and will carb the same volume to the same pressure at the same beer temperature.

Just trying to bust the myth that a CO2 tank outside the keezer will last longer.

Shhhh.. Its your SWMBO. It is a secret. you are not supposed to know!!!

Highly unlikely, Brother!

Mine just says: "As long as you have some place to keep all that sh*%, have at it! Just not in my house!"

Mine likes a good Hefeweizen, a Vienna lager or two, Delirium Tremens.........

She's waiting on me to get busy brewing on MY system, instead of my Buddy's!

I was askin'the O P, in case she was on the Southside,( near me), should she need a little help or guidance fabricatin'.

Also, our brew club, (South Atlanta Homebrewers), is having our club meeting in my shop this weekend.

Quoting from post #9:
I can't stop laughing- when one of the posters suggested I get everything and then let him do it he called me when I was out of town recently and asked how to change a drill bit. He is an amazing guy- we each have our strong suits

Sorry I had no idea he was not handy at this kind of thing!
OK so you put it all together.
Again, What GREAT WIFE you are!
I have two of the store bought Kegerators, one for serving one for fermenting. I wish I had gone the Keezer route.

Thanks guys for all of your input. I am not sure I would have been able to do it otherwise. Here is the finished product, which aside from a little foaming (which is down to about 1 inch, and I suspect is something that might arise every time you change a keg?) it is working great. He was stoked.

photo (2).jpg

photo (3).jpg

photo.jpg

Your beer lines look to be about 4-5 feet. If you want a quick and easy fix to foaming then get lines that are double that length. Great job and good luck! Beautiful and handy - what a combo! Lucky guy.

Looks great. Well done. Looks to me from the first picture that you possibly may not have the pressure completely balanced. Maybe another 1-2 psi looks like it would match the carbonation of the current kegs (though just by pouring the pressure will even itself out eventually) and stop bubbles from forming in the lines between pours. Let me guess, its only the first pour that even has foam? Besides, beer is supposed to have head anyway (except for BMC products) so I think you did great.

Set your psi appropriate for the temperature of your fridge/cabinet. This table will tell you all you need to know:
http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

The beer lines might be shorter then I'd have cut them, but I wouldn't cut new ones. You can probably balance your system using that chart. You're 100% right that you're going to get a little foam from any keg that has recently been moved around. After about 24 hours they tend to settle out and foam less.

Looks great. Well done. Looks to me from the first picture that you possibly may not have the pressure completely balanced. Maybe another 1-2 psi looks like it would match the carbonation of the current kegs (though just by pouring the pressure will even itself out eventually) and stop bubbles from forming in the lines between pours. Let me guess, its only the first pour that even has foam? Besides, beer is supposed to have head anyway (except for BMC products) so I think you did great.

I have actually discovered after two days that there are a lot of bubbles in the lines and a slow pour now. So will increasing the carbonation from 10-11 do the trick? I have looked at a few older threads discussing this but I didn't really find a consensus!

Thanks for the chart, I am going to check that out. Yes 420 is for the beer :) beer is my worst vice- that and medieval fantasy books :)

Well, I find that with most commercial kegs 12 psi on the regulator is not too much, usually it seems to be too little. 13-14 may be better. I would up it by 1 psi, pour a beer to get the gas out of the line and let sit then check the lines for bubbles. lather, rinse and repeat until no more gas comes out of solution and you hit equilibrium where beer stays in the lines. It all depends on what temperature you keep the kegerator though. Most commercial brews are carbonated at around 2.6 volumes. Use a chart like the one found here http://www.draft-beer-made-easy.com/support-files/carbchart.pdf to balance the serving pressure on the regulator to the temperature of your kegerator. 13-14 may be more appropriate for you all.

Slow pours... Yes, that can be caused by too low of pressure on the regulator. You are leaving it on pressure right? Also, you want a beer to pour more slowly than you see done at bars, You want a pour to be 30 seconds to a minute to pour a beer. That way you do not knock all of the carbonation out of solution. This is the reason for the longer beer serving lines. They slow down the beer so that it maintains carbonation pressure and pours slow enough that it does not pour as a foamy mess.

Also, I must add the obligatory, Do you have a sister?

Sorry, I don't have a sister! I think it goes back to my dad who had me skinning deer with him in elementary school- he instilled in me the attitude that if you want something done, do it yourself :)

This is actually embarrassing to admit but after re- examining my co2 attachments, I actually had the air turned off! Mine go 180 degrees and so I flipped them all the way when I turned it on, but they should stay at six o'clock. Didn't realize that. Now it is perfect. Great pour, minimal foam, nice and cold. Hubby loves it!

Damn. Well, what can you do?

No worries. If you, in your first build and experience with kegerators made one that is well balanced and only having one small hiccup you did great. He is a lucky man. Cheers! Now to introduce him to homebrewing if he doesn't already. Or, we can get you into it so that it always stays full. All of us are doing it. You know you wanna.

Back