Growing hops near well - invasive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsit

Reaction score
Quick question about growing hops - should I be concerned about growing hops too close to my well? I know there is talk about the roots spreading pretty far, and I don't want a 5 dollar plant to turn into a $10,000 problem. Should this be a concern, and if so, how far away from the well should I plant the hops?

I don't have any experiance, but I would suggest you select a location far off from your well if only for piece of mind.

Sounds like good enough of a reason to move the planned location out a little. Thanks guys.

How deep is the screened interval on your well? Most potable wells are drilled fairly deep (usually 100 - 200 feet below ground surface) depending on your location.

My well is several hundred feet deep, I want to say about 600? I'm unfamiliar with what the screened inteveral is. The well is a concrete encased well with a pump at depth (vice a surface pump).

Your well contains an interval usually from the bottom to a predetermined depth with tiny little slots to allow water to enter the well. You don't want screen from the top of the well to the bottom because you'll get surface runoff and contamination into your well. If your well is really 600 feet deep, I wouldn't be concerned with the hops.

I dunno what kind of wells have "intervals", but 'round here, we have three kinds of wells: dug, drilled, and driven.

The former are rough deep slots machine dug down well below the water table, after which a preformed concrete well casing is dropped down onto a pre-laid sand bed, plumbed and backfilled.

The latter are drilled down through the bed rock and beyond until there's enough water flow to keep the mortgage insurance company happy. Then a malleable collar is placed on the bottom end of some stout well pipe and driven it down 'til the collar hits the bedrock and deforms to seal the well pipe - the top of which is cut off 18" above grade (health code).

A "driven" well is just a metal well point slammed down into a sand bed dug in down below the water table.

Neither dug nor drilled has anything resembling slotted or screened piping. Well points do have ports that allow water into the point - and they may be slots or screened...

Cheers!

Whats the concern about wells? Can hops harm wells in some way?

I'm a first year grower, just started 3 different varieties in the yard near the house. We have have well water, and I think the well is about 100' down.

I dunno what kind of wells have "intervals", but 'round here, we have three kinds of wells: dug, drilled, and driven.

Neither dug nor drilled has anything resembling slotted or screened piping. Well points do have ports that allow water into the point - and they may be slots or screened...

Cheers!

The interval is the range of depth which the well has the slots. For drilled wells, screened means anywhere water is designed to enter the well. So well screen interval of 50-60 means the screen (slots) are along the pipe from 50 feet to 60 feet below grade for a ten foot long 'screen'. Single points are okay for high hydraulic conductivity/yield wells, but for lower conductivity soils, a longer well screen interval is necessary.

In this case, his well is very deep. Like Darwin18 said, the screened interval would not be near the surface. Especially if it is concrete cased, I personally wouldn't worry about planting anything very close to the well unless it was big enough to push the well out of the way and mechanically break the well casing (like a big ass tree). :mug:

I don't know how a typical well would be an issue, but definitely want to keep them some distance from a septic drain field.

Whats the concern about wells? Can hops harm wells in some way?

I'm a first year grower, just started 3 different varieties in the yard near the house. We have have well water, and I think the well is about 100' down.

I think people are worried about the roots being so aggressive they puncture the well. I doubt that could happen, but then again i dont own a well so i have no idea what im talking about.:mug:

Back