mead gone wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkut

Reaction score
Hi, I made some mead a while ago. After the final rack, I tied it and it was good, friends family all liked it. I left it for about 16 months. Tried it now, and it is a lot sweeter, slightly thicker almost like a liqueur. Its drinkable, but wouldn't be able to drink too much. Any ideas, have I left it too long, can I add some water? I've tried near before from the shops,but that would be mass produced, I've only made a gallon batch. Is home made mead more like a liqueur? Comments and advise much appreciated.

You probably ended with a higher gravity above 1.02 when your batch was originally done. What recipe did you use and what yeast? Mead is known for getting "sweeter" with time. I would make a new batch but use a recipe and yeast that will ferment dry at around a gravity of 0.994. Then blend the two to taste. This way you do not water down the mead and loose flavor.

I can't remember what the gravity was. But I do remember it was 22% after final rack, perhaps not all the yeast had not died.

It was a high alcohol/dessert wine yeast. What one would you recommand for further attempts?

mkut said:
It was a high alcohol/dessert wine yeast. What one would you recommand for further attempts?

What arpolis said. Brew something to dry and combine. Maybe target 15% ABV with a yeast that can go to 18%. EC-1118 maybe.

Latest posts

Back